News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

According to Dredge: Abiogenesis is Magic

Started by Dredge, December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on January 23, 2017, 02:03:46 PM
Quote from: Dredge on January 23, 2017, 06:00:49 AM
Quote from: Firebird on January 21, 2017, 04:17:13 PM
Funny, you cite creationist scientists like Behe, but as far as I know, they haven't proven any of their theories of irreducible complexity. Seems all theoretical, and pretty weak theories at that considering all of the evidence against them.
Have they demonstrated this creator yet in an "applied" fashion as you insist?
If theology were the same as science, it would be called science.
I could say that there is plenty of evidence for the existence of a creator, but I won't ... because then I wil be asked to provide that evidence and I couldn't be bothered.
Ahh, so you're engaging in special pleading. Where are those goalposts now? Moved so far I can't even see them anymore.

I've been waiting for an opportunity to do this:

:moving goalpost:

Moonwalking goalpost :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dredge on January 23, 2017, 05:47:33 AM
Any research into abiogenesis must have a starting point, and that starting point is knowing the exact chemical ingredients that the alleged process began with.  This is fundamental. 

How do you even know that early life arose only once on Earth? Why must there be one process?

The propensity for lifeforms could have been so high that life arose multiple times during Earth's primordial era. 

You do know that there is no clear consensus on what a lifeform is, don't you? ::) For instance, you would have to broaden the definition of life to consider viruses to be living organisms. Some people see them this way while others see them as simple viral particles. 

So, back to basics. How do you define life, with all your advanced biology knowledge? 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on January 23, 2017, 02:53:33 PM
Quote from: Dredge on January 23, 2017, 06:00:49 AM
Quote from: Firebird on January 21, 2017, 04:17:13 PM
Funny, you cite creationist scientists like Behe, but as far as I know, they haven't proven any of their theories of irreducible complexity. Seems all theoretical, and pretty weak theories at that considering all of the evidence against them.
Have they demonstrated this creator yet in an "applied" fashion as you insist?
If theology were the same as science, it would be called science.
I could say that there is plenty of evidence for the existence of a creator, but I won't ... because then I wil be asked to provide that evidence and I couldn't be bothered.
Oh, go on, don't be a spoil-sport, we are all eager to hear this evidence I am sure.

OMG he didn't just put "evidence" and "for the existence of a creator" right next to each other? :suspicious:

:picard facepalm:

Dredge

Quote from: solidsquid on January 22, 2017, 02:35:55 PM

Much of what is observed in science is not a "here and now" observation of a process. Plate tectonics is an example. We cannot actively sit and watch the continental plates move and shift – they move too slowly, centimeters per year. Our observations from many other aspects of the process are culled together to provide us with the information on this process.
So is plate tectonics a fact or a theory?
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Dredge

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 22, 2017, 05:35:58 AM
It's slightly ironic, because the Dunning-Kruger Effect also applies to sense of humour. You don't seem to be of aware of the fact that you're simply not funny.
I was trying to be scientific and you think I was trying to be funny?  I'm crushed - this is the ultimate insult!  Is this any way to treat a friend?

Dredge

Quote from: No one on January 22, 2017, 08:56:16 PM
You see, "thought', is the operative word in your pictogram there silver. I mean after all.we are dealing with a creature whose collective reasoning ability is surpassed by a mentally challenged starfish.
Please be advised that my IQ has been measured at 9 - almost double figures!  Has the IQ of any starfish ever been recorded greater than 9?  I don't think so!  Not even jelly-fish are that intelligent.

Dredge

Quote from: Apathy on January 23, 2017, 08:17:36 AM
Lol what are you even talking about
You don't capisce.  Ok.  Well, when you leave school, don't think about becoming a scientist.  If you can't even grasp the basic scientific concept I mentioned, then how will you cope with much more complex ideas? 

Arturo

Quote from: Dredge on January 25, 2017, 05:41:05 AM
You don't capisce.  Ok.  Well, when you leave school, don't think about becoming a scientist.  If you can't even grasp the basic scientific concept I mentioned, then how will you cope with much more complex ideas?

You sure you what you're talking about? Even though you stopped talking to me, you misquoted me for someone else just so you could get my attention. It seems you have a fascination with me. I don't think we are at that level in our relationship right now. So kindly, stop stalking my Facebook and sending me crude messages every 5 minutes. It's annoying and makes me like you less.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 22, 2017, 05:28:07 AM
Quote from: Dredge on January 22, 2017, 03:40:44 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 21, 2017, 09:00:25 AM
The Catholics used to torture and kill scientists for expounding views that threatened their beliefs
Can you give me an example, please?

Giodorno Bruno.

Ye and they set hands on Galileo, fricken Galileo, a hero for the ages, some bastards, I don't recall their names, they put him in a cell, let broil as to the traditional recipe,  showed him their implements of torture to tenderise their meat in the time honoured way.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dredge on January 25, 2017, 05:23:55 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 22, 2017, 05:35:58 AM
It's slightly ironic, because the Dunning-Kruger Effect also applies to sense of humour. You don't seem to be of aware of the fact that you're simply not funny.
I was trying to be scientific and you think I was trying to be funny?  I'm crushed - this is the ultimate insult!  Is this any way to treat a friend?

It's all in your head, Dredge, all in your head. You're just not funny. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dredge on January 25, 2017, 05:41:05 AM

Oh, more irony. Speak for yourself.

Biggus Dickus

I think we need a new thread titled "The Dredge Report". It would be a place to post all sorts of non-sensical, silly ideas and stuff...
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 25, 2017, 12:30:23 PM
The Catholics used to torture and kill scientists for expounding views that threatened their beliefs

Giodorno Bruno.

Ye and they set hands on Galileo, fricken Galileo, a hero for the ages, some bastards, I don't recall their names, they put him in a cell, let broil as to the traditional recipe,  showed him their implements of torture to tenderise their meat in the time honoured way.

They're afraid, so afraid. :sadnod:

They could've just squished them a little to hear them squeak, but no, they had to go and burn Giordano Bruno and place Galileo under house arrest.

solidsquid

Quote from: Dredge on January 25, 2017, 05:18:08 AM
Quote from: solidsquid on January 22, 2017, 02:35:55 PM

Much of what is observed in science is not a "here and now" observation of a process. Plate tectonics is an example. We cannot actively sit and watch the continental plates move and shift – they move too slowly, centimeters per year. Our observations from many other aspects of the process are culled together to provide us with the information on this process.
So is plate tectonics a fact or a theory?

Plate tectonics is a theory, just like the other theories I mentioned, as it is an explanatory framework for how the crust of our planet behaves. Although, I have a feeling you may be confused on how the word "theory" is used in a scientific context.

Dredge

Giodorno Bruno.
Giodorno Bruno - the dissent Catholic priest who fell in with the Calvinists but was excommunicated by them; then fell in with the Lutherans and was excommunicated by them as well; went to England made himself decidely unwelcome at Oxford university.
Bruno was a defender of heliocentric astronomy, but he was not known as a scientist, rather, as a philosopher.  Pierre Bayle characterised him as the "knight-errant of philosophy".  Bruno wasn't condemned for his scientific views, but his theological errors ( best described as materialistic pantheism) against Catholic doctrine.
Bruno was put him to death by secular authorities, not the Catholic Church.

In short, contrary to your claim, Giodorno Bruno is not an example of a "scientist" who was put to death by the Catholic Church.  Was he even tortured by the Church?  If so, where is the evidence?

During the Inquisition, many people, such as Bruno, were tried and condemned by the Church.   But as already mentioned, he was not executed by the Church, but by the secular authorities.  It is possible that the Church didn't actually execute anyone at all during the Inquisition?  Perhaps it's the case that the rivers of lies told by Protestants and other enemies of Catholicism have become folklore.