Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 25, 2018, 10:03:21 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2018, 09:36:17 PM
Now it's only a week until my class. To say that I'm nervous is an understatement.

(You're all probably sick and tired of me rambling on and on about the classes but it's almost constantly on my mind! :P It'll be over soon, I promise, then I'll find something else to ramble on about.)

Well, it's good to talk about things like this, Silver, and few places better, and safer perhaps, than here - most if us (especially the vintage and veteran ones) have been there!

On 'tother hand - you know that if you talk yourself round in circles on the same points too often you can set up an emotional whirlpool and disappear down the hole in the middle.

Try to take a break and do something very different.

Yes, you're right. I'm gonna take a break from this for a while and watch a movie or something.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2018, 10:15:02 PM
Now it's only a week until my class. To say that I'm nervous is an understatement.

(You're all probably sick and tired of me rambling on and on about the classes but it's almost constantly on my mind! :P It'll be over soon, I promise, then I'll find something else to ramble on about.)

Well, it's good to talk about things like this, Silver, and few places better, and safer perhaps, than here - most if us (especially the vintage and veteran ones) have been there!

On 'tother hand - you know that if you talk yourself round in circles on the same points too often you can set up an emotional whirlpool and disappear down the hole in the middle.

Yes, you're right. I'm gonna take a break from this for a while and watch a movie or something.

Just make sure it is something incredibly funny or outrageous - and F-A to do with unis, teaching or medicine!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 25, 2018, 10:17:48 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 25, 2018, 10:15:02 PM

Just make sure it is something incredibly funny or outrageous - and F-A to do with unis, teaching or medicine!

Will do! :grin:

xSilverPhinx

I couldn't sustain my attention enough to watch a full episode of a new series I found on Netflix. Oh, I'm hopeless. :lol:

jumbojak

I was nearly killed tonight while helping hook a bushog up to a tractor. I called to put the lift down and he dumped the clutch. My left leg was pulled under and the only thing that saved me was grabbing onto the tire to pull me out as the tractor jumped forward. If it had been in reverse I certainly wouldn't be here right now.

For the first hour afterwards I was afraid that my leg, knee, or hip had fractured but there's no serious swelling and the pain has subsided, somewhat. I can put weight on that leg, if only gingerly. Something popped, hard, both when I was being pulled under and when I was being pulled out. I landed hard on my left leg coming out.

So now, in addition to my clicking hip I seem to have a clicking knee. When I walk around I sound like a cheesy skeleton from the Evil Dead movies. Click click, click click, click click...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on September 26, 2018, 05:49:43 AM
I was nearly killed tonight while helping hook a bushog up to a tractor. I called to put the lift down and he dumped the clutch. My left leg was pulled under and the only thing that saved me was grabbing onto the tire to pull me out as the tractor jumped forward. If it had been in reverse I certainly wouldn't be here right now.

For the first hour afterwards I was afraid that my leg, knee, or hip had fractured but there's no serious swelling and the pain has subsided, somewhat. I can put weight on that leg, if only gingerly. Something popped, hard, both when I was being pulled under and when I was being pulled out. I landed hard on my left leg coming out.

So now, in addition to my clicking hip I seem to have a clicking knee. When I walk around I sound like a cheesy skeleton from the Evil Dead movies. Click click, click click, click click...

That was a close call. If any ligaments were damaged, a delayed reaction is possible and you may only start feeling pain after a few hours. That happened to me years ago, when I lost my footing, but managed to stay upright. In the process my hip was damaged internally, but I only started feeling severe pain the next day.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Bloody hell, JJ!

That sounds like a terrifying experience. Hoping you don't suffer any serious physical after effects. Well, not any at all really.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 19, 2018, 12:42:09 AM
Quote from: Icarus on September 18, 2018, 01:15:26 AM
Silver, dear lady, please get over the improbable possibility of failure or whatever it is that strikes fear into your heart and mind.  We HAFers have known you for a long time and it is clear that you are a smart as hell woman who has a keen sense of humor, and communicates well.  So  WTF is the problem here.  Just get out there and do your thing.  Those 60 underclassmen will either get it or they wont.  You will have delivered the subject information  with reasonable skill and previous knowledge.  So crack a few jokes to ease the tension and get their attention.  :cheers:

I don't know, what if they ask a question I don't know the answer to? I'm not that smart... :-\

Respond 'That's a great question! I haven't got a clue. Make a note and speak to me afterwards and we'll find out.' Then after the lecture they will either not contact you, in which case you can look for the answer if it really was a good question and you do want to know the answer. Or if they turn up send them on a mission to find the answer and tell you.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Fucking hell!!! Good to hear Jesus doesn't want you as a little ray of sunshine just yet!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Dave on September 22, 2018, 01:08:29 PM
Second blood tests went in right direction - less of the nasty protein stuff in the blood than in the first.

They threw me out in the wind and rain . . . But I only had to wait ten minutes for a bus to town. Where I treated myself to egg, bacon and chips.

I've been missing all the action! Glad you are Ok!

xSilverPhinx

Whoa JJ, what a scare! Glad you seem to be relatively OKish, but be mindful of the possibility that stress hormones can lessen the pain for a while, and you might actually have hurt yourself pretty badly.  :-\

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on September 26, 2018, 10:23:09 AM
Silver, dear lady, please get over the improbable possibility of failure or whatever it is that strikes fear into your heart and mind.  We HAFers have known you for a long time and it is clear that you are a smart as hell woman who has a keen sense of humor, and communicates well.  So  WTF is the problem here.  Just get out there and do your thing.  Those 60 underclassmen will either get it or they wont.  You will have delivered the subject information  with reasonable skill and previous knowledge.  So crack a few jokes to ease the tension and get their attention.  :cheers:

I don't know, what if they ask a question I don't know the answer to? I'm not that smart... :-\

Respond 'That's a great question! I haven't got a clue. Make a note and speak to me afterwards and we'll find out.' Then after the lecture they will either not contact you, in which case you can look for the answer if it really was a good question and you do want to know the answer. Or if they turn up send them on a mission to find the answer and tell you.

That's a good answer! :grin:

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 10:41:27 AM

Just because somebody asks you a question it does not oblige you to find the answer, particularly in a university. Students should realise that part of why universities exist is to learn how to learn and do their own research.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on September 26, 2018, 10:44:40 AM

Just because somebody asks you a question it does not oblige you to find the answer, particularly in a university. Students should realise that part of why universities exist is to learn how to learn and do their own research.

That's true. Most of the students are fresh out of High School so they're still rather dependent on the teacher, though.

I could say that whatever they ask will be put in their final exam.  :scheming: That might motivate them to research the answer themselves! :grin: 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 10:56:27 AM
Quote from: Tank on September 26, 2018, 10:44:40 AM

That's true. Most of the students are fresh out of High School so they're still rather dependent on the teacher, though.

I could say that whatever they ask will be put in their final exam.  :scheming: That might motivate them to research the answer themselves! :grin:

Oooh, wicked!

I love it!!!