News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Irish Police Investigating Mr. Fry

Started by Recusant, May 07, 2017, 10:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Davin on May 09, 2017, 02:35:28 PM
Well, it looks like the Irish Government might want to keep the law around to bully smaller fish.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/stephen-fry-blasphemy-ireland-probe-investigation-dropped-police-gardai-not-enough-outrage-a7725116.html
QuoteAn Irish police investigation into allegedly blasphemous comments made by Stephen Fry has been dropped after detectives decided there were not enough people who had been outraged by the remarks.

But, "smaller fish" could be "fry" . . .
:hooked:

So, could they not find enough good godfearing Irish people to justify an offence? Wonder how hard they looked?

The Irish church is, historically, its own blaspemy.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

MariaEvri

oh wow here I thought only GReece was insane like that. Good it was dropped otherwise I guess poor god would have to make a court appearance?
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Dave

Anyone seen Billy Connelly's movie, "The man who sued God"!

Or, if you want the whole thing:

Tank

I recall it had some good laughs in it  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Another anecdote. I heard a news report, on NPR, about a ranking public official in Indonesia.  It seems that he has been sentenced to two years in prison for having insulted Islam. He is a Christian in a Muslim society, much to his disadvantage.

Two years in the slammer is preferable to having your head lopped off.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on May 10, 2017, 02:11:55 AM
Another anecdote. I heard a news report, on NPR, about a ranking public official in Indonesia.  It seems that he has been sentenced to two years in prison for having insulted Islam. He is a Christian in a Muslim society, much to his disadvantage.

Two years in the slammer is preferable to having your head lopped off.
Yes, the govenor of Jakata no less. IIRC even the prosecutors thought the 2 year sentence hardh butvthe baying mob were after more.

Another case where Internet media proved a two edged, even double ended, weapon:

QuoteWhile on a work trip last year, Purnama said political rivals were deceiving people by using a verse in the Koran to say Muslims should not be led by a non-Muslim.

An incorrectly subtitled video of his comments later went viral, helping spark huge demonstrations that ultimately resulted in him being brought to trial.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-politics-idUSKBN1842GE

I have heard seversl leading Muslims, including clerics and theologians, ssy that the Q'ran is open to interpretation, there are effectively as many verdiins of Islam as there are Muslims. If so his words were correct, the Q'ran can be interpreted to ssy almidt what they want.

Another case of the misuse of religion in aid of politics.