News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

I'm New and Cannot Post...why?

Started by DirtyLeo, February 24, 2011, 09:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 22, 2011, 08:49:55 AM
I'm glad I found this before asking. I was just wondering why I couldn't respond to a post on the politics board.

Serious question though.

Wouldn't this contribute to more trolling? Or I suppose the more appropriate term here would be spamming. Does this policy not cause a whole bunch of useless responses; responses that don't contribute much overall to the forum?

This is simply speculation, those who have been here longer, mod's in particular would know better. Half of my posting this was to increase my post count anyway.  ;)

You really are an anarchist.

hismikeness

The proper term, as coined here, is "post-whoring."

And yeah, there are some new members that will post just to make that number on the left reach 50. But, in the meantime, the natural side effect is that they get to know the community, the style, and the overall "feel" of the forum while approaching that post count.

And that, is what it was intended for.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

McQ

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 22, 2011, 08:49:55 AM
I'm glad I found this before asking. I was just wondering why I couldn't respond to a post on the politics board.

Serious question though.

Wouldn't this contribute to more trolling? Or I suppose the more appropriate term here would be spamming. Does this policy not cause a whole bunch of useless responses; responses that don't contribute much overall to the forum?

This is simply speculation, those who have been here longer, mod's in particular would know better. Half of my posting this was to increase my post count anyway.  ;)

It works, and it doesn't contribute to more trolling or spamming. And we watch for people who make useless posts simply to get a count of 50. I'll happily add to the required count of posters who try to rack up their count with junk.  :)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

if the policy were not more beneficial than not having it do you think we'd keep it implemented?

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Whitney on May 22, 2011, 04:15:16 PM
if the policy were not more beneficial than not having it do you think we'd keep it implemented?

It's possible it could have improved the trolling aspect while harming something unforeseen. The net gain could still be positive while only being slightly beneficial.

I also saw you ask about the location of the message about the 50 post rule and I did not see it when I first logged in. Since it was under the Meeting Place board description I never read it. The Meeting Place seemed self explanatory, so I felt no need to read the description. It could be in a different place though, seeing as I'm one of those people who sometimes tries to walk through "Out of Order" doors when the sign is at eye level.

As I said in my initial post though, the mods and admins would see the results far better than a new member.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Whitney

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 22, 2011, 11:11:25 PM
I also saw you ask about the location of the message about the 50 post rule and I did not see it when I first logged in. Since it was under the Meeting Place board description I never read it. The Meeting Place seemed self explanatory, so I felt no need to read the description. It could be in a different place though, seeing as I'm one of those people who sometimes tries to walk through "Out of Order" doors when the sign is at eye level.

Since that question was asked it has also been posted into the rules and user registration agreement  ;)

Tank

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 22, 2011, 11:11:25 PM
Quote from: Whitney on May 22, 2011, 04:15:16 PM

It's possible it could have improved the trolling aspect while harming something unforeseen. The net gain could still be positive while only being slightly beneficial.

As I said in my initial post though, the mods and admins would see the results far better than a new member.

"If it works don't fix it" The rule has only been around for a few months and it's bloody brilliant. The quality of the new members is high and the troll count has dropped to a virtual zero. So far so good :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

thequestioner

I don't like it.  The only reason I joined was so that I could do a poll and I needed only atheists.

Davin

Quote from: thequestioner on June 07, 2011, 09:56:04 PMI don't like it.  The only reason I joined was so that I could do a poll and I needed only atheists.
Wow, was it always like this or are there more people with polls recently?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Whitney

Quote from: thequestioner on June 07, 2011, 09:56:04 PM
I don't like it.  The only reason I joined was so that I could do a poll and I needed only atheists.

great...that means the policy is working...

Whitney

Quote from: Davin on June 07, 2011, 10:17:00 PM
Quote from: thequestioner on June 07, 2011, 09:56:04 PMI don't like it.  The only reason I joined was so that I could do a poll and I needed only atheists.
Wow, was it always like this or are there more people with polls recently?

It isn't infrequent..one time we had a whole grade school class (i'm assuming a private school due to it being a religion class) asking us the same questions and generally acting like idiots (so the school's ip was banned).

on google we are on the first page (usually top listing) for "atheist forum" so we're probably typically the first place that gets hit up for survey requests.

Troll god

I like this rule, I hope nobody gets discouraged.
IN INFERIS MELIUS EST REGNARE, QUAM IN COELIS SERVIRE!

Bibliofagus

I was also wondering this  ??? It's nice to have a help desk taking care of all queries.