News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on May 09, 2018, 07:20:37 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on May 09, 2018, 07:01:26 PM
What make is that loader? Thing looks just about brand new.

Perhaps it is a trainer only, never been out there in the real world. No, hang on, those usually have more scratches and dings.

Either that or someone waxes their stuff up there. I'd say no more than a hundred hours.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 09, 2018, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: Dave on May 09, 2018, 07:20:37 PM

Perhaps it is a trainer only, never been out there in the real world. No, hang on, those usually have more scratches and dings.

Either that or someone waxes their stuff up there. I'd say no more than a hundred hours.

The fork lift I trained on had a good share of scratches, including those I put on the counterweight. Part of the training was to put a pile of pallets onto a trailer. The trailer was parked close enough to a brick wall that there was about 6" clearance when I rurned the truck 90 degrees. And there was a four foot high tail board that the pallets needed lifting over. And to be placed precisely over the axle. Then I had to unload some real stuff off a delivery truck.

But it was only a touch (on my second attempt).

When others got trained actually at our factory they got it easy, mainly manouvering round cones and putting one pile of pallets on another.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Guardian85

A 2008 JCB 416 with roughly 5000 hours of use. The reason it looks so pretty is that I had just washed it after use.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

Quote from: Guardian85 on May 09, 2018, 09:57:21 PM
A 2008 JCB 416 with roughly 5000 hours of use. The reason it looks so pretty is that I had just washed it after use.

That's it, I'm moving to Norway. If y'all can keep stuff up that we'll I can't imagine what the roads and cars look like.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Well, to smile at least.

There are times when your emotional clinate is right - receptive, appreciative - and you notice things, that you are often surroubded by, with new eyes.

There was a small group got on the bys, I would say grandad and three grandkids, or grandkid and friends or domething. The kidsvwere early teens I would say and I earwigged on their conversation (hard to avoid it, they were seated behind me). Easy, light, joking, a bit cheeky at tines in all directions. So different from the parent with eyes on their smartphone ignoring their kid's, "Mum . . .mum . . .mum . . ."

The good mood lasted in tge super market. I found myself appreciating a lady of a similar vintage to me dressed in a light green tee-shirt, cammoufalage cargo shorts and cammo trainers. Just beyond here was another lady, similar age, in slim pants and a frilly but translucent top and patterned bikini top.

The real point was each seemed perfectly relaxed in their chosen mode of dress. They were, like me, products of the 60's generation - but so many of us of that age tend to be a bit stuffy dresswise - very glad to see it is relaxing!

Me, I have never been happy in jeans or shorts, prefering pressed trousers. Ditto short hair. But it has been that way since I left the RAF.

I have to admit that the shave headed, probably 40 yo, obese man in bright coloured baggy "Hawiian" shorts and Manchester United soccer shirt also looked relaxed - but . . .

Arturo

I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively. I think positively.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on May 15, 2018, 03:30:41 PM
The good mood lasted in tge super market. I found myself appreciating a lady of a similar vintage to me dressed in a light green tee-shirt, cammoufalage cargo shorts and cammo trainers. Just beyond here was another lady, similar age, in slim pants and a frilly but translucent top and patterned bikini top.

The real point was each seemed perfectly relaxed in their chosen mode of dress. They were, like me, products of the 60's generation - but so many of us of that age tend to be a bit stuffy dresswise - very glad to see it is relaxing!

Me, I have never been happy in jeans or shorts, prefering pressed trousers. Ditto short hair. But it has been that way since I left the RAF.

I have to admit that the shave headed, probably 40 yo, obese man in bright coloured baggy "Hawiian" shorts and Manchester United soccer shirt also looked relaxed - but . . .

I heard someone reply to an accusation of wearing the young peoples clothes, something along the along the lines of bullshit, they're wearing our clothes.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 16, 2018, 09:39:39 AM
Quote from: Dave on May 15, 2018, 03:30:41 PM

I heard someone reply to an accusation of wearing the young peoples clothes, something along the along the lines of bullshit, they're wearing our clothes.

Yup, the old "mutton dressed as lamb", and it applies in some cases - a 36 yo neighbour dressed like a 16 yo and tried to act that way, it did not work. Yet, though camouflage is sort of anomslous - OK for bird spotting and paintballing etc at any age, questionable as casual gear - thst rsther mstureblady, slim and fairly short haired, just looked "comfortable" and it did not look "wrong" to me. The eaually mature lady in the see through top looked equally comfortable and good.

It is the combination of attire and demeanour that completes and qualifies the picture.

Arturo

Well I finally got ahold of my friend that I mentioned in the grump thread. I don't know if I mentioned this or not but they stopped speaking for awhile after they said that they were saying some pretty bad stuff about themselves. Particularly self harm.

But anyways I got ahold of them last night by text message and they said to me that they didn't know who I was. They have DID (multiple personalities) and some of them don't know the whole situation it seems. And so I ended up scaring this one by trying to convince them that they and I had previous conversations and that there name was what they gave me. I sent a screenshot and they started getting pretty scared and I had to tell them it's not a joke and explain the whole situation with them. And they eventually Agent Smithed there way back into being the personality that I am familiar with. Or at least one of them. But she was safe and not dead or in the hospital so that's good. She did mention cutting herself the day I lost contact with her so I'll be checking in with her there to make sure she hasn't really cut herself or just imagined it.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

jumbojak

I managed a total of almost six hours of sleep from last night into this morning. It came in two shifts. I still woke at 5:30 but managed to doze off again at about eight.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 30, 2018, 05:54:40 PM
I managed a total of almost six hours of sleep from last night into this morning. It came in two shifts. I still woke at 5:30 but managed to doze off again at about eight.

This is a common pattern for me! Bloody bladder! But glad you hot a bit of solid shuteye.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on May 30, 2018, 05:59:15 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on May 30, 2018, 05:54:40 PM

This is a common pattern for me! Bloody bladder! But glad you hot a bit of solid shuteye.

Not only did I get twice my usual sleep, it was a rainy day... which means working on rusty crap wasn't in the cards. :}

My brother and I took a ride to Petersburg looking for parts to make a bale wrapper. AgriSupply has about as much farm related stock on hand as anybody. We found the Spears and spear bushings we needed, along with the pillow blocks, but no shafts, hubs, or suitable pulleys. So we headed to Tactor Supply down the road - which is really the saddest excuse for a "farm" store I know of to see what they had in terms of hubs and pulleys.

Wouldn't you know, they had hubs that fit the shafts, but so pulleys that fit the hubs that fit the shafts. The spaced for those parts were all empty! I think we're going to rig up a redneck lathe to turn them down. Somehow spin the shaft while bringing a grinding wheel or sander to bear against it. Cutting the keyways will be tricky.

Oh, to have a lathe and mill at my disposal. :(

hermes2015

Today is the 14th day after my hip replacement. I am now able to walk with one crutch and I haven't had any pain at all since the operation, which is a good change compared to the pain I had before the operation.

Lately, I have just been a lurker at HAF, keeping up with topics every day, but I guess I will start contributing again soon. Unfortunately, at home it hasn't been all sunshine and roses with my partner, but I don't want to go into too many details at the moment. I want to thank you guys for providing the haven that HAF has become in my life. I always feel better here, even when I am just lurking.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 06, 2018, 06:00:58 AM
Today is the 14th day after my hip replacement. I am now able to walk with one crutch and I haven't had any pain at all since the operation, which is a good change compared to the pain I had before the operation.

Lately, I have just been a lurker at HAF, keeping up with topics every day, but I guess I will start contributing again soon. Unfortunately, at home it hasn't been all sunshine and roses with my partner, but I don't want to go into too many details at the moment. I want to thank you guys for providing the haven that HAF has become in my life. I always feel better here, even when I am just lurking.

Good stuff, Hermes!

Well, re your hip anyway.

Yes, I feel thst HAF is also an important part of my communuty. Gives me something to look forward to when my bladder gets me up at about 5am and I can't get back to sleep!

And what are you doing awake at this time in the morning anyway? My bladder is my excuse!

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 06, 2018, 06:00:58 AM

Good to hear you're feeling better. Sorry to hear there are problems at home, I hope they sort themselves out. Glad you enjoy yourself hear.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.