News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

It is fun. Lots and lots of fun. Eyes don't seem to get poked and I suspect that broken fingers are very rare but you do feel like a goose who just landed on Florida after flying south for the winter.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Long rant ahead:

Every now and then something happens to remind me that dealing with people can be a difficult and annoying process. A couple of days ago a lab colleague and someone I consider to be a friend tried to sow intrigue between the supervisor of our 'sister lab' ( who is an ex-student of my supervisor), myself and my supervisor.

Long story short, my colleague told me that the other supervisor mentioned to my supervisor that I was not serious about my work, and that I was slacking at home instead of going to the lab.

I was enraged at this assertion and wanted to spew nothing but venom at the other supervisor. My supervisor is spending a year in Canada as a visiting professor and doesn't know that I'm the only one of his three students that goes to the lab practically every weekday and sometimes on the weekend, is training the undergrads and organising study groups with them besides helping his other two students who don't go to the lab with article writing and statistical analyses.

But wait, I thought as I got my temper under control...it's a well-known fact that my colleague absolutely hates the other supervisor...

I did what she didn't expect and asked my supervisor if it was true what the other had said. Turns out it wasn't true, it was a malicious rumor that she started to cause trouble.

:wtf:

This girl, my colleague, is a difficult person and I'm basically the only one who tolerates her. She already tried to cause trouble for one of the undergrads before, and apparently is now trying to target me.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on February 04, 2019, 12:06:35 AM
... you do feel like a goose who just landed on Florida after flying south for the winter.

These expressions of yours are very interesting, JJ! :lol:

Dark Lightning

I forget the name of the comedian who said, "I just flew in from Chicago, and boy are my arms tired!"

Icarus

Your adversary appears to have a problem with cooperative and dedicated endeavor. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on February 04, 2019, 01:20:52 AM
Your adversary appears to have a problem with cooperative and dedicated endeavor.

Yeah, she's just such an angry individual. What I'm trying to figure out is why she's trying to involve me in her intrigues if I'm basically the only friend she has? Besides being angry, she wants to micromanage other people, which is what started an epic fight with the undergrad I mentioned previously, who basically told her to fuck off. She didn't need to try and get me to loathe the other professor to get me on her side and continue to defend her from attacks coming from basically everyone!

My supervisor asked me to tell him the source of the malicious rumor and I did in a heartbeat. I felt bad about it after, but only for a while. Maybe it should have taken at least two heartbeats to rat her out.  ::)

Made me feel better though. If there's one thing I loathe, it's being manipulated.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 04, 2019, 01:03:56 AM
I forget the name of the comedian who said, "I just flew in from Chicago, and boy are my arms tired!"

I feel like that was Rodney Dangerfield.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on February 04, 2019, 04:28:17 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 04, 2019, 01:03:56 AM

I feel like that was Rodney Dangerfield.

I does sound like him.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 03, 2019, 11:35:41 PM
Martial art classes sound fun. :tellmemore:

Minus the poked eyes and broken fingers of course. :P

Unless you are doing the poking and breaking :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

I got my ass kicked again tonight. This time my arms held up. It was fall breaks and getting back on my feet that bested me. I'll practice tomorrow and do better on Wednesday.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on February 05, 2019, 02:27:19 AM
I got my ass kicked again tonight. This time my arms held up. It was fall breaks and getting back on my feet that bested me. I'll practice tomorrow and do better on Wednesday.

Kick some ass! In my prime, it was fists, feet and pool cues. I don't recommend pool cues. They lead to legal trouble.  :???:

jumbojak

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 05, 2019, 04:22:50 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on February 05, 2019, 02:27:19 AM

Kick some ass! In my prime, it was fists, feet and pool cues. I don't recommend pool cues. They lead to legal trouble.  :???:

I'd certainly like to, but bad hips and what looked suspiciously like a break dancing move made for a difficult night. Maybe I should have taken those dance classes first...

Icarus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 04, 2019, 01:33:25 AM
Quote from: Icarus on February 04, 2019, 01:20:52 AM
everyone![/i]

My supervisor asked me to tell him the source of the malicious rumor and I did in a heartbeat. I felt bad about it after, but only for a while. Maybe it should have taken at least two heartbeats to rat her out.  ::)

Remember the important military concept of CYOAF....(cover your own ass first) 

jumbojak

Tonight's class went very well. I stayed up and the guy I was working with collapsed. They got him back up though.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on February 07, 2019, 02:11:01 AM
Tonight's class went very well. I stayed up and the guy I was working with collapsed. They got him back up though.

:sshocked:  Wow, tough class.  But  :clapping: you.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany