My parents sent me to a mental hospital for being an atheist.

Started by MatureMcLeod, July 22, 2016, 08:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2016, 01:17:56 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 25, 2016, 09:06:56 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
OK, this is fine.  I'll wait and see.

Well, whichever MM is, trollish, genuine or somewhere between,, chances are he has gone elsewhere after being challenged.

So, was it wrong for me to challenge?
No, but the nature of the challenge could possibly have been gentler, more indirect, more first-person.

Rather than an almost accusatory statement about being a "parody" perhaps, "MM, you come over like a parody, help us understand your situation by . . ."

I was wondering how any sane (?) troll types would have made the almost obsessed listing of the "Christian evils". That seems, to me, to be more the product of a disturbed person.

Not sure there is a comparison with Pahu in terms of method rather than objective. Pahu's stuff is just c-a-p of, evidently, well rehearsed sources with little understanding of the substance. MM seens to have researched his stuff and chosen it for his own purposes, rather than logic or accuracy. That makes it, possibly, an expression of internalised  fears with external origins - whether those be actual or perceived.

"Actual or perceived" is crucial and may require a delicate touch with some.

There again - you could be right if he was a trollish type, we will probably never know now.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Quote from: Gloucester on July 25, 2016, 02:07:32 PM
Rather than an almost accusatory statement about being a "parody" perhaps, "MM, you come over like a parody, help us understand your situation by . . ."
Wouldn't that be an insult of sorts to the person's intelligence? It's just... I don't know... If you want to say something that you know is likely to be percieved as less than flattering, does it not become even worse if you bake it into a PC-pie? I may misunderstand humans, but that just seems to add a layer of passive-aggressive to it far more often than not.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on July 25, 2016, 04:04:13 PM
Wouldn't that be an insult of sorts to the person's intelligence? It's just... I don't know... If you want to say something that you know is likely to be percieved as less than flattering, does it not become even worse if you bake it into a PC-pie? I may misunderstand humans, but that just seems to add a layer of passive-aggressive to it far more often than not.

That is the problem, perception is a very personal thing and my approafh might not work with MM. Therapists have a reputation for prolonging tgerapy to make more mkney, for doing nothing.. But before you can therapise someone, or merely understand a friend's fears, you have to understand the problem (as best you can) from the other person's point of view. Can take a long time. You might have to challenge that p-o-v to achieve that.

There are similarities between humans in their behaviours, their reactions and actions. Takes years for a therapist to build up that knowledge and find the best "approximation" to suit an individual case.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Asmodean on July 25, 2016, 04:04:13 PM

I think that depends on how genuine you're being. If you're sure they're full of shit and trying to call them on it, odds are it will come off poorly and you're better to say nothing. If you have a genuine want to know more because you acknowledge that while out there, it -could- be true, there are plenty of ways to phrase further questions.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2016, 01:17:56 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 25, 2016, 09:06:56 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
OK, this is fine.  I'll wait and see.

Well, whichever MM is, trollish, genuine or somewhere between,, chances are he has gone elsewhere after being challenged.

So, was it wrong for me to challenge?

I don't think so.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Waski_the_Squirrel

I had some concerns about this story, but I was kind and suggested contacting social services.

And there are several reasons why:

1. When you first get into something, you tend to have a missionary zeal. For example: when my fountain pen obsession started, I went a little nuts. When I started preaching, I got serious about reading and sharing the Bible (though ironically, that hastened my atheism). When I first became atheist, I wanted to debunk everyone.

2. Younger people, especially teenagers, don't always explain things the way those of us who are adults would. I quite clearly recall my second grade teacher slapping me and knocking me to the ground. At this point in my life, it's nothing. At the time, it was a pretty big deal, and I suspect that my memories make more of it than it actually was. So, there could easily be truth in this story. But, for example, a hand on the cheek to get attention could easily be interpreted as a slap.  There could easily be more to why this person was institutionalized than atheism. For example, some people (especially kids) are still institutionalized for being homosexual. They can also be institutionalized for self-destructive behavior. 

3. Stories change to make the subject look good. Apparently I'm terrifying when I yell. That's what my students tell me. Now, I'm not a yeller, so I'll concede that I have the element of surprise on my side. I broke up a fight at the school where I teach two years ago and was told how scary I was. Now, the reality is that I got their attention, but I was pretty calm. But, it was their way of saving their manhood.

4. I can believe that the OP is struggling with religion. Sadly, I do know that some families are horrific. One of my colleagues apparently believes I'm given over to Satan. Being a 40 year old man who can calmly say, "What are you going to do about it?" in response to her hysteria is a different place from being a minor child, especially a minor child who is outspoken.

I suspect that there is something going on with the OP. Whether the account reported is entirely accurate is a different question.

SisterAgatha

This is a joke and a scandal.

I don't suggest being irreligious but there is no way a mental institution would accept someone for being atheist.

In fact they barely have them anymore.