News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Children in Foster Care?

Started by WogglebugLovingFilms, December 14, 2016, 06:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 04, 2017, 11:19:48 PMI believe the Sister was focusing on the bible's moral teachings -- don't kill, don't steal, don't break your word -- rather than the avalanche of facts about time and nature that it gets wrong. 

Of course, those moral teachings still have to be heavily cherry-picked and are questionable in my opinion. 

That cherry picking is one of the most problematic parts of Christian morality. The Bible offers justification for many different approaches to morality, as history shows us. Some unequivocally vile world views and actions have come directly from the Bible, and continue to do so.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 04, 2017, 11:19:48 PM
Quote from: Davin on October 04, 2017, 03:09:41 PM
Religious teachings also provide many cases of false information. For example, how long was from the discovery that the Earth was not the center of everything and when the Catholic church finally accepted reality? And in all that time, the religious teachings were wrong. So not only does it not provide any benefits, but it provides "answers" that are demonstrably wrong, which is harmful in my opinion.

I believe the Sister was focusing on the bible's moral teachings -- don't kill, don't steal, don't break your word -- rather than the avalanche of facts about time and nature that it gets wrong. 

Of course, those moral teachings still have to be heavily cherry-picked and are questionable in my opinion.  For instance: don't murder because god says only he gets to kill indiscriminately and you'll be horribly punished for poaching on his private rights.  This is moral instruction thru mindless obedience and fear of punishment.

I think, since we need to encourage kids emphatic tendencies anyway, why not bend that twig early and start out teaching morality based on the golden rule (much older than bible teachings) and, yes, self-interest: everyone enjoys being alive as much as you do and it would be bad to deprive anyone of life.  Also a place where people ran around randomly killing would not be safe for you to live in.  (We can get into the weeds about self-defense, crazy people, terrorists and guns later)

A little reading about Humanist morality: Better without God
There are many a logical problem with Christian "morality."

In one case, the god is put up as where morality comes from. And the god killed all but 8 people on the planet. Following the idea that nothing that god does is evil, then what justification does a religious person have to say that genocide is evil when that was the practice of their supremely moral being? And they say that children are supposed to follow the example of this god? That is seriously fucked up.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.