News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Intro/Re-intro - Kekerusey

Started by Kekerusey, August 20, 2016, 10:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tom62 on August 21, 2016, 09:53:04 AMWelcome back, Keke.
We've got a lot in common as well. I love science fiction, I'm working in IT and I'm a former catholic.

Thx ... UK? US? Where? What kind of IT?

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on August 21, 2016, 08:04:49 AM
Quote from: Kekerusey on August 21, 2016, 07:55:48 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 21, 2016, 07:06:13 AM
I think you and I would get on fine over a nice bottle of Merlot, Keke!

Geek-to-geekwise at least.

Sold! I think I'd get on well with almost anyone over a bottle of merlot though I would warn you I have the alcoholic tolerance of a peanut ... on the plus side I'm a cheap date (three pints and I'm anybody's) :)

Keke
Three pints and I'm in tbe loo every ten minutes!

Bloody diuretics  >:(

Welcome, Kekerusey.  :computerwave:
Can I drink wine with you guys? I won't contribute much to the conversation, but I'll tuck both of you in bed, and I'll finish whatever is left in the bottles.
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on August 21, 2016, 11:20:17 PM

Sold! I think I'd get on well with almost anyone over a bottle of merlot though I would warn you I have the alcoholic tolerance of a peanut ... on the plus side I'm a cheap date (three pints and I'm anybody's) :)

Keke

Can I drink wine with you guys? I won't contribute much to the conversation, but I'll tuck both of you in bed, and I'll finish whatever is left in the bottles.
Of course, dear Mags!

Desr me, I haven't been tucked for a long time!

:devil:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Hello keke! It's nice to meet you. (I see you got a liking for Blade . ;))
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on August 22, 2016, 04:00:37 AM

Keke

Of course, dear Mags!

Awwwww...look, it's Waldorf and Statler!   
:love: :hug: :love:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Kekerusey on August 21, 2016, 09:49:04 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2016, 09:15:31 AMI could have written 70% of your intro about myself! Scrub out the Catholic bit and our backgrounds and likes are spookily similar! Welcome back.

Ta :)

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2016, 07:13:10 PMK. Have you bumped into 'Dark Matter'?

Yeah ... didn't like the first episode muich but my mates rave about it so I've downloaded the first series from Sky and am going to give it a second chance. There's not many series I do that with.

Keke

DM is pretty much on par with Killjoys. Not up there with Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica but worth a watch. The premise that they have all lost their memories is interesting because it allows the writers to delve into their various back stories. It's a little reminiscent of the Star Trek episode where they all lost their memories and Warf ended up in command!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on August 22, 2016, 06:31:00 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 22, 2016, 04:00:37 AM

Keke

Of course, dear Mags!

Awwwww...look, it's Waldorf and Statler!   
:love: :hug: :love:
Naw, I've got more thatching than either of those.

Ah, early Muppets, classic.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Quote from: Kekerusey on August 21, 2016, 09:56:57 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on August 21, 2016, 09:53:04 AMWelcome back, Keke.
We've got a lot in common as well. I love science fiction, I'm working in IT and I'm a former catholic.

Thx ... UK? US? Where? What kind of IT?

Keke
Tom was from the Netherlands, last I heard.

By the way, I'm an IT professional as well. Don't think I was when we spoke last, but... Am now. I'm a software developer doing corporate networking. It's a bit like being a helicopter pilot and being asked to fly a jet plane, but I'm exactly where I want to be.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Magdalena on August 21, 2016, 11:20:17 PMWelcome, Kekerusey.  :computerwave:

Hello :)

Quote from: Magdalena on August 21, 2016, 11:20:17 PMCan I drink wine with you guys? I won't contribute much to the conversation, but I'll tuck both of you in bed, and I'll finish whatever is left in the bottles.  :grin:

Haha ... I was always rather fond of the meetups we used to have on some forums, you get to know people much better that way but it's difficult when the membership is spread across the world.

Keke

Kekerusey

Quote from: Apathy on August 22, 2016, 06:02:09 AMHello keke! It's nice to meet you. (I see you got a liking for Blade . ;))

Oh yes :) ... not much of a comics person but I loved the first movie and enjoyed the others (even the uber-cheesy third one). Got them all on Bluray.

I also rather liked the TV series with ... er ... Kirk "Stucky" Jones if I recall correctly. Got those on DVD.

Keke

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2016, 08:19:43 AMDM is pretty much on par with Killjoys. Not up there with Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica but worth a watch. The premise that they have all lost their memories is interesting because it allows the writers to delve into their various back stories. It's a little reminiscent of the Star Trek episode where they all lost their memories and Warf ended up in command!

Unfortunately I am not really a fan of the new "Battlestar Galactica" ... OK, I absolutely detested it. It's not that it didn't have it's moments, it certainly did but after the mini-series and first season it slowly got worse and worse until the utterly appalling, utterly pointless final episode where everything was explained as "God Dun It!" (Moore is apparently a born again Christian). Suffice to say I considered the ending trite, insulting on just about every intellectual level and that it completely undermined the series (even the much better episodes) that had preceded it.

I sold my DVDs a week later, wrote an absolutely scathing review for my website and did my damndest to wipe the thing from my memory.

Told you I was opinionated :)

Keke

Kekerusey

Quote from: Asmodean on August 22, 2016, 11:06:55 AMTom was from the Netherlands, last I heard.

By the way, I'm an IT professional as well. Don't think I was when we spoke last, but... Am now. I'm a software developer doing corporate networking. It's a bit like being a helicopter pilot and being asked to fly a jet plane, but I'm exactly where I want to be.

Oops! I think I missed your response earlier in the thread ... sorry if I did.

IT is a great filed to be in especially if you enjoy the work and I have to say that I did for many, many years but these days my work is being dragged down by "process" and, for all my enthusiasm for IT and computers generally, my company is an infamous outsourcer (The Register despises them), my job often seems that of a check-box-monkey and today I believe I will be getting "the big R" ... I'm not young and for many that would be a bad thing but I'm just keen to get out of the "don't know" zone and get another job or go contracting.

I'm fairly pragmatic like that I guess.

Keke

Tank

Quote from: Kekerusey on August 22, 2016, 11:27:10 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2016, 08:19:43 AMDM is pretty much on par with Killjoys. Not up there with Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica but worth a watch. The premise that they have all lost their memories is interesting because it allows the writers to delve into their various back stories. It's a little reminiscent of the Star Trek episode where they all lost their memories and Warf ended up in command!

Unfortunately I am not really a fan of the new "Battlestar Galactica" ... OK, I absolutely detested it. It's not that it didn't have it's moments, it certainly did but after the mini-series and first season it slowly got worse and worse until the utterly appalling, utterly pointless final episode where everything was explained as "God Dun It!" (Moore is apparently a born again Christian). Suffice to say I considered the ending trite, insulting on just about every intellectual level and that it completely undermined the series (even the much better episodes) that had preceded it.

I sold my DVDs a week later, wrote an absolutely scathing review for my website and did my damndest to wipe the thing from my memory.

Told you I was opinionated :)

Keke
I loved it. I ignored the last episode :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2016, 12:36:31 PMI loved it. I ignored the last episode :D

I can't ... I'm a collector (DVDs and Blurays) and my willingness to watch, specifically to rewatch, a film or show depends on a number of factors. Also, like many TV and movie geeks, I get involved in a series to be entertained and to see it through to a reasonable (and complete/tidy) end. I genuinely don't mind how weird a fictional universe is and when I get involved in one my implicit deal with the director/producer is simple: introduce me to your universe, explain to me the rules by which it functions and tell me a good story sticking to those rules as you do. As a rational atheist it seems to me that is the only way to proceed.

So yes, I liked the mini-series, I liked season 1 and, although they lost some of their interest (many series do), seasons 2 and 3. In those seasons ideas were explored, questions were asked and ultimately (assuming the series didn't end calamitously) I expected them to get answered. The first half of season 4 was OK, depressing but OK, and then (post writers' strike) it went to hell. There was a rebellion which seemed to last forever but should have been covered off in one, perhaps two, episodes ... it was dire and finally we got to the finale. My friend and I got together at my house and, beers in hand, watched avidly.

We couldn't have been more bitterly disappointed, the battle between Galactica and the Cylon behemoth was unbelievable on every level, the rescue of the child (Hera?) was unbelievable on every level and the explanations for the phantom Six, Baltar and Starbuck were insulting to anyone who watches such things and expects anything even approaching rationality (especially considering there had been an on-going spiritual conflict between the one and many god belief systems). Like I said Ron Moore is apparently a born again Christian and I felt it was intellectually insulting to give us such trite, "god dun it" answers to the question we had been eagerly seeking answers to throughout the series. My friend wanted to get on a plane, go and see Mr. Moore and explain to him what was wrong with the ending using the well-known method of "persuasion by baseball bat".

As to keeping them, yes I was tempted to keep the mini-series but ultimately I decided not to because the idea of watching something whose end just makes you want to punch things made no sense to me.

Ultimately, good storytelling matters to me, I watched Sons of Anarchy and waited with baited breath for S7. It was, the press releases assured me, the best season yet, the last ever season of the series and implied strongly it would be bought to a coherent end. They lied, it wasn't anything like that, it was simply an unfinished series (the way US TV shows often do because of their "sweeps"), moreover they ended it in the most brutal fashion imaginable which, given it wasn't a proper ending (but was implicitly claimed to be), was absolutely unforgivable. As a result, I will never watch anything written by Keith Stutter again because I now know I cannot trust him.

Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2016, 12:37:09 PMHow old are you?

Neunundfünfzig jahre :)

Keke