News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Who is your favorite Saint?

Started by SisterAgatha, September 27, 2017, 04:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 27, 2017, 04:30:28 AM
There are ever so many saints in our lovely little Catholic Church!  http://www.catholic.org/saints/stindex.php

In religion class I always try to throw in a little something about the saint of the day!

Who is my favorite saint? It is Saint Francis of course!:  http://armondscavophotography.com/product/saint-francis-of-assisi/

He was a kindly soul who loved animals the poor! Someone who loves Poor People and Animals? If that doesn't scream "saint" I don't know what does..

Please let us all know!

Speaking of Francis, do you think Pope Francis is leading the flock astray with heresies about divorced people taking communion or some of the other more liberal positions that he is taking? 

Biggus Dickus

So sad that I can still remember this prayer: (Well I sort of remembered it, had to look it up to get every single word correct,)

"Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God's love commits me here. Ever this day be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.

We were taught to say this as children, a prayer to the "guardian" angel that is assigned to each and every one of us by god (Yes even you Magdalena has an angel beside you always ::)), as stated in the Roman Catechism: ..."Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life..."

Now there are also demons, which are really angels that decided to follow Lucifer after god announced to legions of angels that they were commanded to adore god's son in a nature inferior to their own, which is the incarnate Word, Jesus Christ.
Before it was to come about, god revealed to all the angels the creation of us men and women, and the incarnation to come (Birth of the baby Jesus), of course the mother of this god-man would be their queen.

The good angels joyfully obeyed and were taken into the beatific vision of the blessed trinity, which they had known before only by faith. The tradition is that two-thirds of the angels obeyed god, and the one third that refused, and chose to follow the rebellious lucifer, were cast into hell.
Now some of these demons are allowed to take their hell with them (Weird) and roam the earth where they can tempt men and women (We atheist must be prime targets for these little devils). Of course so, too the more powerful, good angels, take their heaven with them and roam the earth doing good to both men and women.

Make sense?

Not we get to the saints. Apparently there are over 10,000 saints though I understand there is no official "head" count by the church, but I could be wrong.
We were taught not to pray to saints, but actually with them...they are supposed to intercede on your behalf when you pray with them so as to help your prayers get into heaven or to god, apparently they are sort of like a middle-man (Or woman) and can nudge god's arm when in reach.

In school we used to pray to/with saints all the time, sometimes it was for things lost...Sister Lynn Ann, my 6th grade homeroom teacher was always loosing shit, so she would lead us in daily prayers to St. Anthony. It went something like this, "Saint Anthony, Saint Anthony please pray with us. We have lost something and cannot find it, please help us find our lost _______" We would repeat this litany over and over and over until either the lost item was found or sister berated us and told us to stop, because obviously horrible, sinful children like us weren't getting through to old saint Anthony.

Usually what sister lost was one of our tests or homework. She would state that we had taken the test or homework and hidden them so she couldn't grade us on them because we were such horrible students. After I finished the 6th grade they retired her as she was getting quite unstable even for the the church/school.

She was a wonderful nun, besides accusing us of wrong doing and constantly berating us for being evil, wicked, stupid kids, she liked to hit us with her wooden pointer if we got out of line. If she hit me on the ass it wasn't so bad as she was getting old, and wasn't that strong, but several times she wacked me across the fingers...the last time she got me really good and I had had enough so I jumped up from my desk and yelled out to her, "What the Hell is your problem, that hurt damn it!...this resulted of course in my getting sent to the principles office.
I was sent home and suspended from school for two days. The part that really burned me was I had to apologize to sister upon my return to class for both yelling and cursing at her.

There are also patron saints. When I was in the Army and after I received my Airborne wings my mother (Catholic until she died) sent me a silver chain with an emblem of Saint Michael on it, as he is the patron saint of paratroopers, police, mariners, etc...I was touched by the gift, though I never wore it, but kept in with my personal belongings. When my mother passed away I tucked it into her casket along with a set my paratrooper wings.

All of this, the angels, demons, saints are part of the ridiculous hierarchy of heaven that not only catholics, but most christians believe in.
A hierarchy that has always puzzled me to be quite frankly, because if there is only one god, what are these other beings he has created? They are not human at all, actually they are immortal, and can assume human or any other shape they desire at will and apparently can bend both time and matter at will.

Doesn't this make them gods as well?

So really nothing has changed from the mythological gods of ancient Rome or Greece. You have a top god, and then all of these lesser gods who control or interact with humans as they see fit. It certainly is confusing.

Saints like nuns are far from nice. Remember a recent canonization by Francis in 2015 of Junipero Serra? The man who first brought Catholicism to California. Serra was tied to a systematic institution that decimated the population of Native Americans, and who played big role in obliterating indigenous culture in coastal California.

I'd like to kick the fucker in the balls...
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on September 28, 2017, 05:38:53 PM
We were taught to say this as children, a prayer to the "guardian" angel that is assigned to each and every one of us by god (Yes even you Magdalena has an angel beside you always ::)),
My dear, Father Bruno, if this is true, then I'm beginning to think that my guardian angel submitter his/her/it's letter of resignation a long, long time ago.  :sadcheer:
...And so did the ones who were sent to me as a punishment.  :lol:

Maybe my man is an angel for loving me as much as he does.  :notsure: ...Considering I'm a sassy, insolent, and impertinent woman.  :far out:

Thank you for explaining about the demons, which are really angels, as well. Very interesting. Even they want nothing to do with me.  :yes!: :grin:

I'm sorry to hear about the abuse you suffered with Sister Lynn Ann. I can imagine a cute, sweet little boy going through this, and it just makes me sad, and angry. When I met you, many years ago, I posted this GIF. I didn't even know the story you just told us:

"What the Hell is your problem, that hurt damn it!...

If angels and demons exist, in your realm, they were speaking to you, through me. (I think that's as close as I'll allow them to get to me.)--Just passing through.  :devil2:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub
Are we certain that the Sister is for real, and not Old Git or Bad Penny or someone else?  Something just doesn't ring true.

Sorry, Bruce, it's not me!  But I agree that she's a bit fishy.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 28, 2017, 02:38:50 PM
I have indeed. And I feel they are only because the people making them are sad and lonesome and outside of Jesus' shining presence!

Thing is, SisterAgatha, a lot of people, when they reach a certain age, let go of their imaginary friends and cultivate real relationships with real people. Sad and lonesome are those who cling onto a mental simulacrum and think it's real well into adulthood.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 28, 2017, 08:34:33 PM
Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 28, 2017, 02:38:50 PM
I have indeed. And I feel they are only because the people making them are sad and lonesome and outside of Jesus' shining presence!

Thing is, SisterAgatha, a lot of people, when they reach a certain age, let go of their imaginary friends and cultivate real relationships with real people. Sad and lonesome are those who cling onto a mental simulacrum and think it's real well into adulthood.

Or, perhaps having left their real family and not being able to cope with the world on their own seek a pseudo-family to feel warm and cosy with. Just so long as they don't go for one of the hellfire and brimstone churches that rule almost every aspect of their lives,, or one that fleeces them of every penny they have (to build mega churches or buy Rolls Royce cars and private aircraft etc) Or join a church where the priests sexually abuse young people and their superiors cover up for them. Or . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

There's a reason you came here, Sister...
This is for you:

:grin:

Edit: Found the version I was looking for.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on September 28, 2017, 07:31:46 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the abuse you suffered with Sister Lynn Ann. I can imagine a cute, sweet little boy going through this, and it just makes me sad, and angry. When I met you, many years ago, I posted this GIF. I didn't even know the story you just told us:

"What the Hell is your problem, that hurt damn it!...

That's Sister Mary Stigmata, a.k.a. The Penguin from the Blues Brothers!!!!
The actress Kathleen Freeman certainly did a great job in that role (That's a great movie by the way) I understand Kathleen in order to prepare for her role as the Penguin did an understudy of a Cuban/Soviet torturer, sadly that is a rather accurate interpretation of a real nun!  8)
Funny, but accurate!

Quote from: Magdalena on September 28, 2017, 09:40:21 PM
There's a reason you came here, Sister...
This is for you:

:grin:

Very good choice of video Mags, and from another excellent movie...I thought maybe Sister Agnes was sent by god to tell me something, but seeing how she hasn't responded to either of my posts I'm starting to doubt it. ::)

Most likely as others here have noted she isn't an actual nun, I'm certainly not getting the vibe from her that I usually do when I'm in their presence, but than again maybe she is. It would be cool if she is as maybe she would allow us to ask some honest question on what it was that made her decide to be a nun, does she have regrets, etc...

Speaking of nuns I highly recommend to anyone here the book "Through the Narrow Gate, by Karen Armstrong. It's a memoir of life inside a Catholic convent. Karen was a sister for some time before leaving the order and is a wonderful author and lecturer. She is probably the most prolific writer of religion and religious history of our time. I've read about 5 of her books. "A History of God", and "Jerusalem: One City, Three Faiths" being two of my favorites and I highly recommend them.

(By the way normal vibe for being near or in the presence of a nun is my heart begins to beat madly, I get cold and I have this desire to hide and cry...sort of similar to how one would react to say being close to a vampire, or swimming with sharks) ;D

Although I have to admit I would probably react the same way if I met Selma Hayek!

jumbojak

Serious question Bruno; do you think Selms looks better with, or without, the uni brow?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: jumbojak on September 28, 2017, 10:46:43 PM
Serious question Bruno; do you think Selms looks better with, or without, the uni brow?

I gotta go with...it's that whole Frida Kahlo thing, it works for me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on September 28, 2017, 10:29:33 PM
Most likely as others here have noted she isn't an actual nun...
This makes her a lying catholic. :foottap:
She should represent "her people" a little bit better.

AND...and, I'm getting tired of all the name calling: :sulk:
Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 28, 2017, 10:13:10 PM
OK. Ill spill the beans ;D!

I did read HDM about a year ago. To be honest I don't see what the whole fuss is about from either the Catholic Church or you jabbering atheists.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on September 28, 2017, 10:57:22 PM

I did read HDM about a year ago. To be honest I don't see what the whole fuss is about from either the Catholic Church or you jabbering atheists.

Well we do jabber sometimes Mags, you know....like that time we was sitting, and jabbering, and drinking, and smoking, and jabbering some more, and then we got like all jibber-jabbery about whether or not women should have to leave the seat up for men's convenience?

That was some jibber-jabbering shit!

Then we went out for beers and tamales 8)

Recusant

And to be fair, religious people never jabber. No sir, it just doesn't happen. Jabbering is an atheist specialty, along with baby eating. :P
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on September 28, 2017, 11:18:10 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 28, 2017, 10:57:22 PM

Well we do jabber sometimes Mags, you know....like that time we was sitting, and jabbering, and drinking, and smoking, and jabbering some more, and then we got like all jibber-jabbery about whether or not women should have to leave the seat up for men's convenience?

That was some jibber-jabbering shit!

Then we went out for beers and tamales 8)
All I remember from that day is the smoking and the beers...nothing else. :notsure:

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on September 28, 2017, 11:24:57 PM
And to be fair, religious people never jabber. No sir, it just doesn't happen. Jabbering is an atheist specialty, along with baby eating. :P