The the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Started by Bad Penny II, July 12, 2016, 03:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

QuoteNO PREACHING:  While everyone is welcome to discuss their views in a civil manner, this forum is not a podium for those that only wish to preach.  This rule applies to atheists and theists alike. Preaching means stating your beliefs without providing evidence.  If directly asked what you believe you may answer but it would then become against the rules if you were to then refuse to back up your views objectively when honestly challenged.  This means that if you want to use your religious text to prove your deity, for instance, you will also need to be prepared to prove that your religious text is an objective source of evidence.

This is not a rule made for actual humans.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 12, 2016, 03:51:19 PM
QuoteNO PREACHING:  While everyone is welcome to discuss their views in a civil manner, this forum is not a podium for those that only wish to preach.  This rule applies to atheists and theists alike. Preaching means stating your beliefs without providing evidence.  If directly asked what you believe you may answer but it would then become against the rules if you were to then refuse to back up your views objectively when honestly challenged.  This means that if you want to use your religious text to prove your deity, for instance, you will also need to be prepared to prove that your religious text is an objective source of evidence.

This is not a rule made for actual humans.

Yeah, try applying this rule to politics, or sex, or just about any human endeavor other than pure science.  Evidence is really not a part of our daily lives.  Most of the time "what i like" or "what I want" or "that's how I feel" is more important that this evidence stuff.

Recusant

". . . refuse to back up your views objectively . . ."

This is the crux of the matter, I think. If you are unable to provide an objective support for your views, then admitting that you have no such basis to hold them is the reasonable thing to do. I think that perhaps this rule could be amended though. Something along the lines of--

"Refusing to acknowledge polite responses to your statements, evasion of requests for evidence or support for your views, and ignoring discussion of comments that you've made are all indications that you're engaged in preaching (see all posts by forum member Pahu)."

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken