News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Technocracy

Started by Prometheus, June 28, 2012, 08:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prometheus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy

Anyone read up on this? I like the idea(I'm a civil engineer, go figure). As an example of potential implications, most government decisions regarding infastructure(Roads bridges etc) would voted on by people with experience and education in that field(Or perhaps their elected representatives) with some means of checks and balances. A high lvl of personal accountability for decision makers would be ideal(Financial disincentives for corruption and lack of reasonable effecincy. Make impeachment much easier by allowing petitions to initiate an all around vote on the matter.).

Seems to me that engineers and real scientists would be a lot harder to snow than your average fox news viewer.

(Edited to correct spelling of thread title.  — Recusant)
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC

Ali

So your average "Fox News Viewer" would have no say in the government?

markmcdaniel

Its an interesting idea.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

OldGit

Maybe better than rule by politicians?

Of course, the technocrats would then be politicians.

DeterminedJuliet

It's kind of happening already. I mean, how much of our lives does Google dictate these days?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

technolud

Quote from: AliSo your average "Fox News Viewer" would have no say in the government?

This is an EXCELLENT idea.  But I'm not sure how you are going to pull it off.

Tank

Quote from: technolud on June 30, 2012, 11:53:06 AM
Quote from: AliSo your average "Fox News Viewer" would have no say in the government?

This is an EXCELLENT idea.  But I'm not sure how you are going to pull it off.
Make the voting system so complicated only people with an IQ of 100 can use it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Quote from: TankMake the voting system so complicated only people with an IQ of 100 can use it.

Preferably jack it up to around 135 + good knowledge of Latin compulsory.  One extra vote for each of: Old English, Greek, Old French.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on June 30, 2012, 12:15:38 PM
Quote from: TankMake the voting system so complicated only people with an IQ of 100 can use it.

Preferably jack it up to around 135 + good knowledge of Latin compulsory.  One extra vote for each of: Old English, Greek, Old French.

Uh-oh. I'm screwed.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

Add scientifically literate to the list based on a threshold proposed by elite scientists, with a test score to prove it.

Also, people who pay a certain amount of money in taxes (that would leave the poor and religions out of the voting process).
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 30, 2012, 01:38:16 PM

Add scientifically literate to the list based on a threshold proposed by elite scientists, with a test score to prove it.

Also, people who pay a certain amount of money in taxes (that would leave the poor and religions out of the voting process).

Hey, we could limit it to land-owners! I think that's a pretty good idea!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 30, 2012, 02:03:24 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 30, 2012, 01:38:16 PM

Hey, we could limit it to land-owners! I think that's a pretty good idea!

You get the idea ;)

Prometheus, I don't mean to make fun, but these kind of things are a bad idea and don't solve the root problems, only make a wider divide.

The Magic Pudding

It sounds a bit clunky having engineers voting on projects, it could be inefficient, they aren't going to do it for free.  Engineers will want more money for building stuff, educators will want more for education, military will want more for toys, doctors will want machines that go bing.  The natural order is to have accountants in control denying funds to all, either that or just let Asmo take control.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 30, 2012, 04:04:54 PM
It sounds a bit clunky having engineers voting on projects, it could be inefficient, they aren't going to do it for free.  Engineers will want more money for building stuff, educators will want more for education, military will want more for toys, doctors will want machines that go bing.  The natural order is to have accountants in control denying funds to all, either that or just let Asmo take control.

Heheh.

But then would accountants be out of a job?

DeterminedJuliet

I'd be happy with a system controlled by the Doctor.