News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Let Me Introduce Me

Started by i_am_i, August 27, 2009, 01:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSlater

Hello J!

I'm also a musician( only semi-professional because I need a day-job to support the wife and myself)  so I must inquire about the gear you use. I love jazz, but my strengths are in blues and rock. Go figure, a Texan that plays blues. Do you gig often?

i_am_i

Quote from: "ACSlater"Hello J!

I'm also a musician( only semi-professional because I need a day-job to support the wife and myself)  so I must inquire about the gear you use. I love jazz, but my strengths are in blues and rock. Go figure, a Texan that plays blues. Do you gig often?

I'm sort of semi-retired, although I still take gigs that appeal to me, mostly studio work. I just did a show with a 10-piece band in New York that was a gas.
I've been playing the same set of Ludwig maple drums for about 15 years. It's a great sounding well-aged kit. 18" bass drum and 10" and 13" toms. I use a Craviato solid-shell maple snare drum and Zildjian K cymbals.
I love to play blues. I can do a pretty mean shuffle, if I say so myself.
Call me J

Sapere aude

ACSlater

Quote from: "i_am_i"
Quote from: "ACSlater"Hello J!

I'm sort of semi-retired, although I still take gigs that appeal to me, mostly studio work. I just did a show with a 10-piece band in New York that was a gas.
I've been playing the same set of Ludwig maple drums for about 15 years. It's a great sounding well-aged kit. 18" bass drum and 10" and 13" toms. I use a Craviato solid-shell maple snare drum and Zildjian K cymbals.
I love to play blues. I can do a pretty mean shuffle, if I say so myself.

Sounds awesome! Well-aged maple must be quite pleasing to the ear. I know what it's like to stick with a trusted tool of the trade. I have several guitars, but I tend to stick to the same one whenever I play even though it's among the cheap ones. Your kit is quite the ideal set I'd like to invest in when I grow up. Unfortunately, I can't fit a kit where I live and neighbors wouldn't fancy me very much playing them in the apartment. Drums are the first thing I learned mainly because of having a drummer for an older brother. He, however, has more of the background in the theory and such.

Thanks for the response!

Thom Phelps

Welcome, J!   Be comforted in knowing a lot of us fall into the "not very scholarly" category.

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "Reginus"If someone is going to get something on my name I'd rather it be associated with free-thought rather than atheist...too many people think atheist means baby eater.

MMmmmm... babies.   ;)

Reginus

Quote from: "Thom Phelps"Welcome, J!   Be comforted in knowing a lot of us fall into the "not very scholarly" category.

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "Reginus"If someone is going to get something on my name I'd rather it be associated with free-thought rather than atheist...too many people think atheist means baby eater.

Wait... I didn't write that...  :hmm:
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

iNow

Quote from: "Reginus"Wait... I didn't write that...  :hmm:
Thom made a slight error with his quote tags.  Those were Whitney's words.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3805#p48764

nikkmichalski

This place rocks! Let me tell you. A musician? I play piano myself. That reminds me, yesterday I was walking through town, when I saw two old friends of mine. One was a musician, and the other one was broke too. Welcome to HAF!  :D
Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water." -- Douglas Adams, H2G2
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

Thom Phelps

Quote from: "iNow"
Quote from: "Reginus"Wait... I didn't write that...  :hmm:
Thom made a slight error with his quote tags.  Those were Whitney's words.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3805#p48764

Whoops. My bad. See:  not scholarly.

i_am_i

Quote from: "nikkmichalski"This place rocks! Let me tell you. A musician? I play piano myself.

Hi, nik. I compose on the piano but I have the chops of  a diseased rhino. There was a time when I could actually play the piano fairly well but I let it slide over the years.
What kind of music do you play? Are you a professional?
Call me J

Sapere aude

nikkmichalski

Quote from: "i_am_i"
Quote from: "nikkmichalski"This place rocks! Let me tell you. A musician? I play piano myself.

Hi, nikk. I compose on the piano but I have the chops of  a diseased rhino. There was a time when I could actually play the piano fairly well but I let it slide over the years.
What kind of music do you play? Are you a professional?

No, I'm far from it. I like Jazz. I have a big Beatles book, and that's all I've been playing, until I ordered three Pink Floyd books. I do enjoy classical music sparingly.
--Nikk
Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water." -- Douglas Adams, H2G2
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5