News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Is there something similar to the 10 commandments for atheists?

Started by Curt, July 10, 2017, 03:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curt

Is there something similar to the 10 commandments for atheists?  Of course not commanded by a God!  I'm just basically looking for some guidelines on living a good life as an atheist.  Anyone got any good suggestions or ideas?  Thanks everyone

Sandra Craft

Interesting that you ask:

The Atheists' New Ten Commandments

These are the ten winning beliefs of the Rethink Prize, a crowdsourcing competition to rethink the Ten Commandments. The contest drew more than 2,800 submissions from 18 countries and 27 U.S. states. Winners were selected by a panel of judges.

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
4. Every person has the right to control of their body.
5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
9. There is no one right way to live.
10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

There are probably others.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 10, 2017, 03:18:33 AM
Interesting that you ask:

The Atheists' New Ten Commandments

These are the ten winning beliefs of the Rethink Prize, a crowdsourcing competition to rethink the Ten Commandments. The contest drew more than 2,800 submissions from 18 countries and 27 U.S. states. Winners were selected by a panel of judges.

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
4. Every person has the right to control of their body.
5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
9. There is no one right way to live.
10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

There are probably others.

That's a pretty hood selection, I notice the "Golden Rule" is present at number 7.

The only modification I might make is to number 10:
"You have only one life, use it wisely to leave a better world when it is over."
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

There is nothing like that at all with atheists, but I think you'll find that most people will agree with one boiled down philosophy: try not to be a dick.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

solidsquid

I've found that most things can be handled by two major rules:

1) Don't be an asshole
2) Don't be stupid

Those seem to work pretty well for me.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Curt

Quote from: solidsquid on July 10, 2017, 10:58:22 PM
I've found that most things can be handled by two major rules:

1) Don't be an asshole
2) Don't be stupid

Those seem to work pretty well for me.

Good rules to live by and there is only 2 of them!

Pasta Chick

Commandments are pretty solid in nature, which I feel contradicts the nature of atheism. Free thinking and study are in flux, or should be if done correctly.

I don't feel there can be set moral law, when so much of life is shades of gray.

The closest I can come would be things like staying conscious of confirmation bias, and trying to minimize harm.

Biggus Dickus

As an atheist I don't follow commandments because they are orders, and rational, reasonable, empathetic beings do not require them, we simply need to act in accordance to the rule of don't fuck with other people, or their shit...but I think Old Abe said it best:

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

"Similar to the 10 commandments?"  :chin:
According to George Carlin --if you think about it--there's really only two, not ten...and one of those two is "negotiable." :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Also generally good is this 10 commandments for expats:

1. Thou shalt not expect to find things as thou hast them at home for, verily, thou hadst left home to explore different things.

2. Thou shalt not take anything too seriously, for a carefree mind is essential for a healthy body.

3. Thou shalt not let other expats get upon thy nerves, for one or both of you art likely to be transferred soon anyway.

4. Thou shalt refrain from acting exceedingly high and mighty, for thou art the same person thou wast before thou had a cleaning lady.

5. Thou shalt not buy everything thou sees; thou already hast a houseful of things stored in thy home country.

6.Thou shalt not sit and mope and feel unwanted or unskilled; there art many people who would be grateful for the donation of time and energy.

7. Thou shalt not worry, for he who worrieth hath no pleasure – and few things are ever fatal.

8. When in Rome, thou shalt be prepared to do somewhat as the Romans do.

9. Thou shalt not judge the people of the country by the one person who hast given thee the most trouble.

10. Remember that thou art a guest in a foreign land, and he who treateth his host with respect shall be honoured and might even receiveth an invitation to visit again.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on July 16, 2017, 07:11:38 AM
^^^
I like it.

I can't believe it, butt I'm actually in agreement with Magdalena on this one, that was good Books!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on July 18, 2017, 03:27:30 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 16, 2017, 07:11:38 AM
^^^
I like it.

I can't believe it, butt I'm actually in agreement with Magdalena on this one, that was good Books!

That butt was a Freudian slip.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames