News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

'Anti-gay' book puts Gove at centre of faith school teaching row

Started by Tank, February 19, 2012, 04:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

QuoteEducation secretary says Equality Act does not extend to school curriculum – allowing faith schools to use homophobic material

Michael Gove, the education secretary, is at the centre of an escalating row over how faith schools discuss homosexuality in sex education classes.

The TUC has accused Gove of failing in his legal duties by insisting that equality laws, which prohibit discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, do not extend to the school curriculum.

The TUC complains that the current situation sends mixed signals to the playground, because schools are legally obliged to condemn discrimination on sexual-orientation grounds but free to use religious materials that equality campaigners claim is homophobic.

Brendan Barber, the TUC's general secretary, wrote to Gove in December expressing alarm that a booklet containing "homophobic material" had been distributed by a US preacher after talks to pupils at Roman Catholic schools across the Lancashire region in 2010.

The booklet, "Pure Manhood: How to become the man God wants you to be", discusses a boy dealing with "homosexual attractions" which it suggested may "stem from an unhealthy relationship with his father, an inability to relate to other guys, or even sexual abuse".

The booklet, which claims that "scientifically speaking, safe sex is a joke", explains that "the homosexual act is disordered, much like contraceptive sex between heterosexuals. Both acts are directed against God's natural purpose for sex – babies and bonding."...

This guy really shouldn't be education secretary. He's a total arsehat. This is the same guy who wanted to send every school in England a KJV bible.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 04:32:48 PM

QuoteEducation secretary says Equality Act does not extend to school curriculum – allowing faith schools to use homophobic material

Michael Gove, the education secretary, is at the centre of an escalating row over how faith schools discuss homosexuality in sex education classes.

The TUC has accused Gove of failing in his legal duties by insisting that equality laws, which prohibit discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, do not extend to the school curriculum.

The TUC complains that the current situation sends mixed signals to the playground, because schools are legally obliged to condemn discrimination on sexual-orientation grounds but free to use religious materials that equality campaigners claim is homophobic.

Brendan Barber, the TUC's general secretary, wrote to Gove in December expressing alarm that a booklet containing "homophobic material" had been distributed by a US preacher after talks to pupils at Roman Catholic schools across the Lancashire region in 2010.

The booklet, "Pure Manhood: How to become the man God wants you to be", discusses a boy dealing with "homosexual attractions" which it suggested may "stem from an unhealthy relationship with his father, an inability to relate to other guys, or even sexual abuse".

The booklet, which claims that "scientifically speaking, safe sex is a joke", explains that "the homosexual act is disordered, much like contraceptive sex between heterosexuals. Both acts are directed against God's natural purpose for sex – babies and bonding."...

This guy really shouldn't be education secretary. He's a total arsehat. This is the same guy who wanted to send every school in England a KJV bible.

Sounds like he's not opposed to anti-homosexual materials because he probably agrees with it.  Nice to have unbiased parties protecting education.

Sweetdeath

Oh, more idiots who don't understand that being homosexual is not a choice. Misinformation being spread by religion.is so venomous.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 20, 2012, 03:52:19 PM
Oh, more idiots who don't understand that being homosexual is not a choice. Misinformation being spread by religion.is so venomous.
I refer to this post with regard to the four possible alignments of physical gender vs gender attraction. Do you contend that not one person has ever chosen to be homosexual who was genetically disposed to be heterosexual?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Reprobate

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 04:32:48 PM

(Sarcastically) It's wonderful that the teachings of christianity are absolute truth, regardless of facts, scientific evidence, and reality.

Ali

Quote from: Tank on February 20, 2012, 03:59:41 PM
I refer to this post with regard to the four possible alignments of physical gender vs gender attraction. Do you contend that not one person has ever chosen to be homosexual who was genetically disposed to be heterosexual?

I contend that it shouldn't matter whether it's a choice or not.  Even if it is a choice for some people, who gives a shit?  It's kind of demeaning to make the issue about choice, because that boils down to "They just can't help themselves, the poor dears."  My POV is, it shouldn't matter whether or not it's a choice because it's quite simply no one else's business.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on February 20, 2012, 10:32:45 PM

I contend that it shouldn't matter whether it's a choice or not.  Even if it is a choice for some people, who gives a shit?  It's kind of demeaning to make the issue about choice, because that boils down to "They just can't help themselves, the poor dears."  My POV is, it shouldn't matter whether or not it's a choice because it's quite simply no one else's business.

:)

And not to quote Dr. MLK jr. I suppose instead of judging someone cuz of their race, you are judging based on sexual preference, which I just as terrible.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

statichaos

I was under the impression that the U.K. was more civilized than that.  I hope that this isn't due to our cultural influence...

Sweetdeath

Quote from: statichaos on February 20, 2012, 11:29:25 PM
I was under the impression that the U.K. was more civilized than that.  I hope that this isn't due to our cultural influence...

I was under that impression as well.  :(

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 21, 2012, 01:07:48 AM

I was under that impression as well.  :(

Yeah we have nutters as well but they are usually ridiculed rather than given a voice. They have been getting more of a voice recently since the High Court ruled against prayer in counsel meetings plus the Conservative party are in power and there are quite a lot of christian fanatics on that side of the bench so they tend to get a voice, officially the Conservative party are pro gay but its quite obvious that the members do not agree with this as it is usually seen when they run their campaigns.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on February 20, 2012, 10:32:45 PM

Exactly. Why one person is attracted to another is only an issue for the two people concerned.

Tank

The UK is more civilised than that. Gove is a throwback.

pytheas

Can this education secretary be very secretive or in denial gay?
It corrolates well with conservative in the old albion
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

statichaos

Quote from: Tank on February 21, 2012, 09:58:03 AM
The UK is more civilised than that. Gove is a throwback.

If "throwback" is Brit slang for "socially conservative neanderthal", then I agree.