News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

"Merry Christmas"

Started by jrosebud, November 28, 2007, 07:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrosebud

On another forum (one made up of mostly mothers) I suggested that it would be considerate to give strangers a more generic greeting (such as "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings") this time of year rather than to assume that they'd appreciate the somewhat-religious Christian sentiment.  A statement of goodwill would be best given and recieved if it attempted to be as inclusive as possible.

I was met with accusations of hating Christians and trying to take away their holiday.  (For what it's worth, I celebrate a secular Christmas.  My concern was for others who don't, rather than myself.)  Someone also suggested that my expression of my irritation with religion translated into my longing for God.   Arg.

Some thought that since "Merry Christmas" is said with good intent that the recipient of the greeting should never feel the slightest bit uncomfortable about it.  If they aren't personally offended by "Happy Hanukkah" or some such phrase, then noone else should be.

I stated that I thought that was an egocentric/ethnocentric viewpoint and was insensitive to those who didn't think that Jesus story was something to celebrate.

How do you personally feel about "Merry Christmas" and other holiday greetings that include religious overtones?  Do you consider a generic one to be more appropriate for strangers (who've given no cues as to what they celebrate)?

Thanks in advance!
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

SteveS

Hi jrosebud - I hear you and appreciate the commentary.  Personally, I must admit that I really don't take offense if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, although I have taken to saying "Happy Holidays", myself, to others.  I guess I'm so used to "Merry Christmas" that it doesn't particularly bother me.  I, like you, celebrate a secular christmas (all about santa and snowflakes, no angels or baby jesus ornaments).  Likewise, if someone said "Happy Hanukkah" I also wouldn't take offense.  I might simply assume that the well-wisher was Jewish.  In either case, I would always respond with "Happy Holidays".

I would, on the other hand, be uncomfortable if someone said "have a blessed Christmas", or something of the sort.

MommaSquid

I try to say Happy Holidays, but if the person I'm speaking to mentions that they celebrate Christmas, then I wish them a Merry Christmas.  

I celebrate a completely secular Christmas, too.  I love the lights, the tree, the presents and the music just as much as the believers do.  I just don't have a fairy tale to back up the trimmings.  Just good old pre-christian rituals.   :)

QuoteI stated that I thought that was an egocentric/ethnocentric viewpoint and was insensitive to those who didn't think that Jesus story was something to celebrate.

I agree. Not everyone celebrates christian holidays, and they may take offense.  Political correctness is a pain in the butt, though.

Whitney

I don't change my greeting for this season...I just say hello, hi, etc.  If I am greeted with "merry christmas" "happy holidays" etc then I say "you too."  I'm just not much of a festive person when it comes to talking to strangers...if I know the person then I might say happy whatever they celebrate.

I prefer "Happy Giftmas"

I use "Happy Holidays" on my cards and pick out ones which just have a winter theme rather than red and green.

Someone needs to convince my husband that it is okay to have a tree if we are not Christians...he isn't so into the idea of one but I think they are pretty (plus they have pagan origins...christians stole the idea).

SteveS

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I prefer "Happy Giftmas"
:lol:

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I use "Happy Holidays" on my cards and pick out ones which just have a winter theme rather than red and green.
Ditto, although I don't pay that much attention to the red/green business.

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Someone needs to convince my husband that it is okay to have a tree if we are not Christians...he isn't so into the idea of one but I think they are pretty (plus they have pagan origins...christians stole the idea).
I certainly think it is okay to have a tree, even though I'm not Christian.  We decorate ours with lights and glass globes - no angels, or anything religious.  They are pretty - it fills the house with a pleasing warm glow of soft light.  I'm also a fan of lighted garlands and wreathes - they look nice in the day because of the faux foliage thing (they make it nice and green) and they look nice at night because of the colorful lights.  The lights and green stuff are my favorite part of the season; it just makes the house pleasant to be all decorated.  Probably because it so brown and colorless outside during winter.

Tom62

The only things I like about christmas are the christman tree (as long as it is not overloaded with kitsch), the christmas gifts and the christmas dinner. What I hate about christmas are christmas music (like the two most horrible christmas songs of all times: Wham's "Last Christmas" and USA for Africa's "We are the world") and the extreme rich charity organisations (like Green Peace or the Red Cross) begging for money again.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

SteveS

Quote from: "Tom62"the two most horrible christmas songs of all times: Wham's "Last Christmas" and USA for Africa's "We are the world"
If I was religious, I would say "Amen".  But since I'm not, I'll say "Right on, brother!  Those songs suck!"

rlrose328

Quote from: "jrosebud"How do you personally feel about "Merry Christmas" and other holiday greetings that include religious overtones?  Do you consider a generic one to be more appropriate for strangers (who've given no cues as to what they celebrate)?

Thanks in advance!

I say "Happy Holidays" when faced with the greeting.  I wear a "The tilt of the earth's axis is the reason for the season" button and if people bother to read it, I don't get many holiday greetings.   :lol:

For me, there are so many holidays around this time of year, it IS ethnocentric to insist that "Merry Christmas" for the Christian God should be the only greeting... I find that way of thinking quite hateful.

One of the Christian groups wants to boycott PetSmart because they don't have "Christmas" in any of their stores or flyers... "At PetSmart, they've gotten rid of Christmas..." the email said.  They just don't get it.

It's because of that attitude that I ordered a 10-pack of the Tilt of the Earth's Axis buttons and started passing them out to like-minds.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

weirdframer

I do the "Happy holidays"  or just" Have a good one" Seems to work
The trouble with born-again Christians is that they are an even bigger pain the second time around.”

Tricky_Niki

I stick with Happy Holidays its generic enough to cover everyone without offending anyone.
Freethought and Toasters have never killed anyone.
Everything you need to know about life can be learned from Toasters.

jrosebud

Quote from: "rlrose328"I say "Happy Holidays" when faced with the greeting.  I wear a "The tilt of the earth's axis is the reason for the season" button and if people bother to read it, I don't get many holiday greetings.   :lol:

I *love* it!   :D
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Will

Reply: Merry I love the anti-Christ day.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

I got myself a cheapo tree today...it's red (apprently various colored trees are in this year) and is decorated with lights, a simple gold and red garlend and a pretty gold butterfly...all for just $15...yay sales and buying the display tree since it was the last red one; got an unexpected additional discount.

Before I bought it hubby and I had a short convo on the phone about how christmas was actually stolen from pagans and how I think we should steal it again.  I can't help but wonder if anyone overheard me in the store and what they must have thought to themselves.

BleedingOrchid

What about those who celebrate Festivus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

SteveS

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I got myself a cheapo tree today
Sweet!  I give you joy of your purchase.