News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

I'm Nam

Started by Nam, June 21, 2012, 05:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

I lean Ignostic-Atheist, though I do not really label myself these days since I do not agree with the definition of "atheist/sm", since it implies there are/is a "god" not to believe in. I sometimes get flack for that.

I am a former Southern Baptist. I stopped being a Christian when I was 12/13 years old, and didn't come out of the "closet" 'til I was 18. My mother cried. Literally.

I am now a former member of http://whywontgodhealamputees.com as of an hour or so ago: felt some got away with breaking rules while others didn't. Not stating I was a "saint" or anything but I own up to my faults. I was a member there for about 5 years.

I have a more detailed testamonial there, somewhere, but I think this is good for now.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Nam

Don't think I'm staying since the main person who got away with rules there seems to be a Mod here.

Maybe I'll just join one of those inactive atheist forums or just go back to omanforums.com -- though difficult being an "atheist" on a Muslim website.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Recusant

Well, coming or going, hello and welcome to HAF, Nam. Over the years, I've heard rumblings about forum politics at WWGHA, but I've never spent much time there, so couldn't say one way or another. Just in case you decide to stick around, here are the. . .

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

My best wishes to ye, either way.  
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding

Hello

The mods here don't usually trouble anyone besides the loony martyr types and sometimes grumpy blue Mr Men.  ;)

En_Route

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 21, 2012, 10:40:37 AM
Hello

The mods here don't usually trouble anyone besides the loony martyr types and sometimes grumpy blue Mr Men.  ;)

Sometimemes?  In fairness, I would be the first to acknowledge that the mods here do an admirable job.

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

It's iGnostic, you know. The Asmo coined that spelling and that makes it well and truly coined.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Hi Nam!

Nam rhymes with Pam, Glam, Ham, Spam, Sam, Bam, Ma'am, Dam, Jam, Lamb, Ram...
Words are fun.

Anyhoo, I've been here for over a year and I feel the mods here do a pretty fair/good job. It's the best moderated forum I've participated in, in my humble opinion.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Hi and welcome!  I think the mods here are AbFab.  (:-* to the mods) Anyway, if you choose to stay, I hope you enjoy your time here.  Otherwise, best wishes!

Recusant

I went and took a look at the WWGHA forum. I found a member there who has the same avatar as a moderator here, but I'm fairly sure that they are two different people, for what it's worth.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Hello and welcome! All hail the Alpha mods!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

McQ

Quote from: Recusant on June 21, 2012, 07:43:30 PM
I went and took a look at the WWGHA forum. I found a member there who has the same avatar as a moderator here, but I'm fairly sure that they are two different people, for what it's worth.

Correct you are. This confusion has come up before. I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of WWGHA. The only time I've been to that forum was to have a look at that mod's avatar when the question came up a couple of years ago.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Stevil

Quote from: McQ on June 22, 2012, 02:28:04 AM
Correct you are. This confusion has come up before. I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of WWGHA. The only time I've been to that forum was to have a look at that mod's avatar when the question came up a couple of years ago.

Hey Nam

I very much doubt you will have any issues with our McQ. He likes to take photos though.
Might be a bit of a problem if you are a shy hummingbird.

Buddy

Welcome to the forum! I would have to agree that the mods here are some of the nicest fellows I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Firebird

Welcome! The mods here suck.

Kidding! They're great, very fair, and don't take me too seriously  ;D
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"