News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Rick Perry thread. Merged from MB101 and Gawen

Started by MadBomr101, December 07, 2011, 10:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

Man, they do grow their Xians big and dumb in Texas.

Here's Rick Perry with his most recent "Xianity is the only thing that will save this country." rant against Obama.  Rahther than link to it, I'll just post it here for your reading entertainment.

-------------------------------

Rick Perry says that if he's elected president, he'll end what he calls President Barack Obama's "war on religion."

Perry makes the comments in a new TV commercial that's sure to create controversy.

"I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school," says the Texas governor and Republican White House candidate. "As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage. Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again."

The Perry campaign tells CNN the 30-second spot starts running in "heavy rotation" statewide in Iowa Wednesday. The state's Jan. 3 caucuses kick off the presidential primary and caucus calendar. The campaign says the ad will also run on cable television on the Fox News Channel.

The 30-second spot is slotted to run statewide starting Wednesday in Iowa. The state's Jan. 3 caucuses kick off the presidential primary and caucus calendar.

In an email release touting the new commercial, the Perry campaign lists headlines from mainstream, conservative, and religious reporting sites to illustrate what it calls the "Obama Administration's war on religion." Those examples include the president's move to stop defending the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act and his exclusion of the word "God" from his Thanksgiving speech.

In an interview Wednesday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Perry said he stood by the ad.

"The administration is clearly sending messages to people of faith, and organizations of faith, that we're not going to support you with federal dollars," Perry said. "I'm very comfortable with that ad, for one thing. My faith is a part of me, and the values I learned in my Christian upbringing will affect my governing."

CNN has reached out to Obama's re-election team for reaction to the new Perry ad.

Perry is a Methodist and has not shied away from touting his faith during his presidential bid . In an earlier campaign commercial, Perry described himself as a "man of faith."

Social conservative voters are influential in race for the GOP presidential nomination, especially in Iowa and South Carolina, the first southern state to vote

Here's the link if you prefer - http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/07/new-perry-ad-derides-obamas-war-on-religion/
-------------------------------------------

Thoughts?
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MadBomr101

- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Buddy

If he gets in, I'm express shipping myself back to Sweden  ::)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 07, 2011, 10:51:45 PM

Is there room in there for me too?  Seriously, I don't eat much.
- Bomr

Buddy

Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 07, 2011, 10:53:53 PM

Is there room in there for me too?  Seriously, I don't eat much.

Only if you pay shipping and handling.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

MadBomr101

Deal!

I've heard about all those hot Swedish babes.  Even better than that, no Texas governors running for President there.

Y'know, if he does get elected this country is finished.  If the previous Texas governor turned president didn't teach everyone a lesson, NOTHING will.
- Bomr

not your typical...

Take me too, please. You wouldn't leave me here to suffer would you? :<
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Recusant

Perry's campaign looks dead in the water. He has nothing to lose, and this looks like a desperation tactic to me. It's hardly surprising though; he's been vying with Bachman for the dominionist/fundamentalist section of the Republican party since he joined the race. To me it seems that Romney is the inevitable Republican candidate, no matter how much the Republicans seem to want to avoid nominating him.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MadBomr101

Quote from: not your typical... on December 07, 2011, 11:05:18 PMTake me too, please. You wouldn't leave me here to suffer would you? :<

We just may need to build a Noah's Ark of atheists if this keeps up.
- Bomr

MadBomr101

Quote from: Recusant on December 07, 2011, 11:07:19 PM
Perry's campaign looks dead in the water. He has nothing to lose, and this looks like a desperation tactic to me. It's hardly surprising though; he's been vying with Bachman for the dominionist/fundamentalist section of the Republican party since he joined the race. To me it seems that Romney is the inevitable Republican candidate, no matter how much the Republicans seem to want to avoid nominating him.

How desperate must the Republicans be if a Mormon whose religion even they don't get is the most reaonable nominee they can find?
- Bomr

not your typical...

Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 07, 2011, 11:08:27 PM
Quote from: not your typical... on December 07, 2011, 11:05:18 PMTake me too, please. You wouldn't leave me here to suffer would you? :<
We just may need to build a Noah's Ark of atheists if this keeps up.
Atheists and borderline converts...
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Recusant

As of now, the youtube video of Perry's ad has nearly 22,700 "dislike" votes versus a little over 600 "like" votes. It may play all right in middle America and the south, but I think overall it's likely to hurt his campaign more than it helps.

The steeply slanted hillside behind him in the video reminds me of some of the villain shots in the 60s Batman series.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MadBomr101

Quote from: Recusant on December 07, 2011, 11:43:25 PM
As of now, the youtube video of Perry's ad has nearly 22,700 "dislike" votes versus a little over 600 "like" votes. It may play all right in middle America and the south, but I think overall it's likely to hurt his campaign more than it helps.

Love it!

I logged in just to dislike it too.  I also find it hysterical that they didn't have the balls to enable comments probably knowing damn well how hard it would get slammed by the vast majority of the YouTube community.

Buncha pussies.   ;D
- Bomr