Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 09, 2018, 12:37:05 PM
Quote from: Dave on May 09, 2018, 12:19:47 PM
Downloaded the "large" version of XnView. Could not find the cropping tool, had to find a forum to get to it. The forum said there was a tool but also just drawing a rectangle in full screen works, but it's not intuitive. The help took me to a Wiki that merely seems to define cropping, not tell you how to achieve it!

Do you mean XnView MP? Sorry, I guess I should have specified that my preference is for XnView Classic, downloadable at https://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/. That's the one I prefer to use.

Just make a rectangle and then choose Crop from the Edit menu.

It's faster to just ask me, rather than using a forum, if you have a question. Feel free to do so.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 09, 2018, 12:37:05 PM
Quote from: Dave on May 09, 2018, 12:19:47 PM
Downloaded the "large" version of XnView. Could not find the cropping tool, had to find a forum to get to it. The forum said there was a tool but also just drawing a rectangle in full screen works, but it's not intuitive. The help took me to a Wiki that merely seems to define cropping, not tell you how to achieve it!

Do you mean XnView MP? Sorry, I guess I should have specified that my preference is for XnView Classic, downloadable at https://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/. That's the one I prefer to use.

Just make a rectangle and then choose Crop from the Edit menu.

I forgot to mention that you should download the Extended version on the above page.

Er, I think I got one that suites me, just bitching that "Help" seems even more useless than usual! Ignore me, I'll just sit and mutter in the corner . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

My special beer glass.

Last year I was watching Buffy with my wife and Zander was at the pub. I said that's a fine glass he's got and beloved said we've got one of those, (actually two.)

My daughter won it years ago swimming some kilometres in the ocean, (the big one.)
She did look like the one with the red cap.
They both look the same.
Shut up Greeny.

I tend to use a smaller light weight doubled wall glass in summer but it's winter now.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

A favourite of mine was just plastic - but double walled with antifreeze between! Lived in the freezer when not in use.

I broke it knocking it of a table :(

But it was empty.

(Actually, never thought of it then but could have made icecream or Slush Puppy in that with a hand mixer . . .)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

I don't like a glass with a base smaller than the top.
Hermes may say different but I go for function before form.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on June 13, 2018, 12:40:19 PM
A favourite of mine was just plastic - but double walled with antifreeze between! Lived in the freezer when not in use.

I broke it knocking it of a table :(

You didn't break it
You put it in the hands of the gods
One of them broke it.

It's like putting an unwanted newborn out in the elements.
It's up to the gods if it live or dies.

Bad Penny II

The sky was white, a howling wind, eagles like it that way I suppose.
Too blue? Ye, I'll fix it later.

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

There will probably be more osprey photographs in the future.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on June 28, 2018, 02:59:48 AM

There will probably be more osprey photographs in the future.

That's a nice photo. Did you take it with your new camera? The eye is in focus, which is really important in this kind of photo, because it usually looks weird when the eyes are not sharp.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

That is with my new camera. I was sitting on the ferry listening to my headphones when I looked at the nest and remembered my camera was in the back seat. I took about twenty photographs before the bird flew away without realising the camera was in shutter mode after I tried, unsuccessfully, to photograph the moon.

I put the camera into auto mode when I realized my mistake and the osprey came back giving me another opportunity. There are more photos from the other side of the river as well. Those are a lot closer with more detail of the head and eyes but most of the bird is blocked from view.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on June 28, 2018, 05:25:40 AM
That is with my new camera. I was sitting on the ferry listening to my headphones when I looked at the nest and remembered my camera was in the back seat. I took about twenty photographs before the bird flew away without realising the camera was in shutter mode after I tried, unsuccessfully, to photograph the moon.

I put the camera into auto mode when I realized my mistake and the osprey came back giving me another opportunity. There are more photos from the other side of the river as well. Those are a lot closer with more detail of the head and eyes but most of the bird is blocked from view.

Excellent photo. I hate you!! I get sparrows you get f***ing Ospreys!!! You bastard!!!!  :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :Gaah: :Gaah: :Gaah: :haironfire: :haironfire: :haironfire: :haironfire:

And lesson learned. Put your camera away in Program mode and check it when you get it out. Also get two memory cards, one for the camera and one for the bag so if you take one out of the camera and put it in your PC and forget to put it back in the camera you've got a spare when you need it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

I used some Google settings for the moon.
I had to adjust levels in photoshop otherwise there was no detail at all.

I like ospreys.

I saw one of these last weekend but didn't catch, a very striking bird.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on June 28, 2018, 06:23:07 AM

Excellent photo. I hate you!! I get sparrows you get f***ing Ospreys!!! You bastard!!!!  :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :Gaah: :Gaah: :Gaah: :haironfire: :haironfire: :haironfire: :haironfire:

And lesson learned. Put your camera away in Program mode and check it when you get it out. Also get two memory cards, one for the camera and one for the bag so if you take one out of the camera and put it in your PC and forget to put it back in the camera you've got a spare when you need it.

This might be a silly question but what is program mode? I've had crazy hours at work so playing with the camera hasn't been possible much. For the osprey I just turned the dial to one of the auto modes and pulled a spray and pray, so to speak.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on June 28, 2018, 02:28:39 PM

This might be a silly question but what is program mode? I've had crazy hours at work so playing with the camera hasn't been possible much. For the osprey I just turned the dial to one of the auto modes and pulled a spray and pray, so to speak.
No such thing as a silly question.

It is a Canon you have?

This should help What are these shooting modes on my Canon Camera?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.