News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

After my idea of tempting beasties to a "captive" flower using honey . . .

Aquire a bunch of flowers still in bud, cover them with a plastic bag to keep the beasties from robbing the nectar when they open (could do this to flowers actually growing if you have a garden). Take out one flower at a time, set in a vase or bottle, set up gear, grab remote trigger, put in earphones and relax on the lounger (with a glass of sonething nice.)

The best kind of nature photography!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on August 15, 2018, 05:49:50 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on August 15, 2018, 05:23:07 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 15, 2018, 05:05:01 PM
If I can get that bulldozer upright I'll pull the float. But, I think you should design the gloat itself Hermes. I don't have your artistic flair.

Thanks, but I'm just a dilettante!

Gawn! Bet you would be brilliant at designing a gloat!

I think I'm going to have to stop hanging around here so often. You're ribbing off on me Dave...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Dave on August 15, 2018, 06:32:00 PM

Aquire a bunch of flowers still in bud, cover them with a plastic bag to keep the beasties from robbing the nectar when they open (could do this to flowers actually growing if you have a garden). Take out one flower at a time, set in a vase or bottle, set up gear, grab remote trigger, put in earphones and relax on the lounger (with a glass of sonething nice.)

Heh heh. If I indulged in a glass of something nice, that butterfly would land on my somnolent nose instead, and there'd be no pictures. Good for you, and I'm looking forward to some pics!

Dave

Quote from: Fireball on August 16, 2018, 04:36:19 AM
Quote from: Dave on August 15, 2018, 06:32:00 PM

Heh heh. If I indulged in a glass of something nice, that butterfly would land on my somnolent nose instead, and there'd be no pictures. Good for you, and I'm looking forward to some pics!

Unfortunately I have no access to a garden and would feel a little awkward employing such a technique on the sidewalk! I am not really up to carrying the required kit round the back to beside the stream (where 99% of the local flying life hang out.) Might manage my shooting stick (but, along with tripod, camera, flowers, bottle or can of something?) but that is not comfortable for long sits.

When my friend moves back into the area she and I can enjoy a glass together in her garden whilst the bees and butterflies do their thing.

Buddy

I had time to go to the farmer's market before work today and I got a big bag of peaches for 4 dollars.  :dance:
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Buddy on August 18, 2018, 01:58:46 PM
I had time to go to the farmer's market before work today and I got a big bag of peaches for 4 dollars.  :dance:

Well done.
If they taste like balalaika spelt backwards the seller will go on our list.

I got a few kilos of zucchinis for $1.50 a kg and a cheap kilo of capsicums.

Onions:
Cheaply got zucchinis and capsicums
3 x 420 gram cans of tomatos =$2.10
A 500g jar of tomato paste $1.20
A couple spoons of chinese jared garlic
A Couple of carrots because vitamins

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dark Lightning

Someone beat me to this- MAGAT

Dave

Quote from: Fireball on August 18, 2018, 07:28:37 PM

I suppose it would be too obvious to add (Dump Trump) as a bottom line in small text?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Dave on August 18, 2018, 08:13:48 PM
Quote from: Fireball on August 18, 2018, 07:28:37 PM

I suppose it would be too obvious to add (Dump Trump) as a bottom line in small text?

Maybe so, but I don't know how to do that. I just copied the pic from another site, as-is. Actually, I just figured out a way to do it- easy-peasy!

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on August 18, 2018, 01:58:46 PM
Yummy!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

After some back and forth with a couple of the co-authors I finally finished my poster!

On Tuesday I'm off to the beach ( :hammock:) for a scientific congress where I will present this poster.

(Results, figure legends and conclusions have been removed because this is unpublished work.)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Looks good, Silver!

Had to expand it to be sure the graphs actually had sonething on them though  :grin:

I must say "Phychobiology and Neurocomputation Lab" sounds really impressive!

Think you could compute my neurons on an abacus these days. Naw, make it kiddies counting blocks ...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on August 19, 2018, 03:37:00 PM
Looks good, Silver!

Had to expand it to be sure the graphs actually had sonething on them though  :grin:

Think you could compute my neurons on an abacus these days. Naw, make it kiddies counting blocks ...

Thanks!
:grin:
It's a cool lab name but rather ancient. My advisor (professor Jorge) and head of the lab is a physicist and would do some computational neuroscience back in the day but currently no one else does.

But I think you most likely have around 80 to 86 billion neurons, Dave...it would take a hell of a long time to count them! ;D

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 19, 2018, 06:03:51 PM
Quote from: Dave on August 19, 2018, 03:37:00 PM
Looks good, Silver!

Thanks!
:grin:
It's a cool lab name but rather ancient. My advisor (professor Jorge) and head of the lab is a physicist and would do some computational neuroscience back in the day but currently no one else does.

But I think you most likely have around 80 to 86 billion neurons, Dave...it would take a hell of a long time to count them! ;D

Yeah, but how many of them there neurons are still functioning?

xSilverPhinx

I think all of them would be functioning. Maybe not as they were when you were an adolescent (some types of mental functions such as working memory peak when one is a 20-something), but if it's still there it's most likely doing its job. If a neuron dies it's cleaned up. I'm not absolutely sure but it seems more than neuronal death there is decreased plasticity as we get older, that is, less synapses and less synaptic 'strength', and that's absolutely normal.