News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

HAF book club: September poll and discussion

Started by Sandra Craft, August 20, 2018, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

And Man Created God: A History of the World at the Time of Jesus, by Selina O'Grady.
To explore the power that religious belief has had over societies through the ages, Selina O'Grady takes the reader on a dazzling journey across the empires of the ancient world and introduces us to rulers, merchants, messiahs, priests, and holy men. Throughout, she seeks to answer why, amongst the countless religious options available, the empires at the time of Jesus "chose" the religions they did.

Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
The New York Times - Michiko Kakutani
Inspired by James Baldwin's 1963 classic The Fire Next Time, Ta-Nehisi Coates's new book, Between the World and Me, is a searing meditation on what it means to be black in America today...[a] powerful and passionate book...  [written as a letter from father to son]

Crazy From the Heat, by David Lee Roth
David Lee Roth recounts with trademark showmanship and canny self-awareness the antics of the feverishly bacchanalian entertainment world. In the same gleefully honest and delightfully discursive voice his many fans have come to relish, Roth gives readers a backstage pass to his long strange trip from obscurity to rock stardom, his ups and downs with the Van Halens, and much more that will raise the eyebrows of even the most jaded music industry afficionado.

Genesis: The Scientific Quest for Life's Origin, by Robert M. Hazen
Life on Earth arose nearly 4 billion years ago, bursting forth from air, water, and rock. Though the process obeyed all the rules of chemistry and physics, the details of that original event pose as deep a mystery as any facing science. How did non-living chemicals become alive? While the question is (deceivingly) simple, the answers are unquestionably complex. Science inevitably plays a key role in any discussion of life's origins, dealing less with the question of why life appeared on Earth than with where, when, and how it emerged on the blasted, barren face of our primitive planet.

The Invention of Nature, by Andrea Wulf
The acclaimed author of Founding Gardeners reveals the forgotten life of Alexander von Humboldt, the visionary German naturalist whose ideas changed the way we see the natural world—and in the process created modern environmentalism.

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, by Robert M. Sapolsky
Combining cutting-edge research with a healthy dose of good humor and practical advice, Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers explains how prolonged stress causes or intensifies a range of physical and mental afflictions, including depression, ulcers, colitis, heart disease, and more. It also provides essential guidance to controlling our stress responses. This new edition promises to be the most comprehensive and engaging one yet.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on August 27, 2018, 05:58:20 PM
Looks like it's going to be another tie.

Oh crap.  Well, if Bruno voted it's his turn to be tie-breaker.  If not, anybody else want to do it?
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 28, 2018, 03:15:45 PM
Bruno hasn't logged in since May.  :-\

That makes me sad. 

Well, Davin and I have already been tie-breakers plenty of times.  Anyone else want to give it a go?  I know there are two more of you hiding out there.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 28, 2018, 11:20:46 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 28, 2018, 03:15:45 PM
Bruno hasn't logged in since May.  :-\

That makes me sad. 

Well, Davin and I have already been tie-breakers plenty of times.  Anyone else want to give it a go?  I know there are two more of you hiding out there.

I voted this time as well, as I've already started reading the book I voted for. If nobody else wants to be the tie-breaker I guess I can do it.

Icarus

Sandra Craft

Silver responded first, so go for it -- what are we reading?
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 29, 2018, 08:44:35 AM
Silver responded first, so go for it -- what are we reading?

Genesis sounds really interesting and all, but I'm loving Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers. :grin: Let's read that first! :smilenod:

Sandra Craft

I'll admit it, I was hoping for Zebras.  That's our September book then.
Sandy

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

I didn't have as much reading time as I wanted, so I'm only 70% through the book. So far, I think it's a great book. But chapter eight where the author was talking about those cancer cure charlatan assholes got me angry, not at the author, but there is an anger that swells up inside me whenever I hear about people like that.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on September 10, 2018, 03:16:53 PM
I didn't have as much reading time as I wanted, so I'm only 70% through the book. So far, I think it's a great book. But chapter eight where the author was talking about those cancer cure charlatan assholes got me angry, not at the author, but there is an anger that swells up inside me whenever I hear about people like that.

Understandable.  I haven't even found a copy yet. 
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

I've started reading my copy but not at the speed I initially had planned, so I'm a little behind. Too much stress in my life, ironically. I will try and pick up the pace. :smilenod:

Davin

I just finished it last night.

I think it was a good read and had all the sources to back things up. I only looked at a few of the sources though, just the ones I was very interested in. About a quarter half the book is the citations. Another quarter are some interesting chapter reading things that I only skimmed through.

Because of this book, there are some behavior changes I will be making to try to make life better. I don't currently have time, but I'll write up one of my small (I think I prefer the term "concise"), reviews sometime soon.