News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Amazon fish challenges mutation idea

Started by Tank, February 17, 2018, 11:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Amazon fish challenges mutation idea

QuoteEvolutionary theory suggests that species favouring asexual reproduction will rapidly become extinct, as their genomes accumulate deadly mutations over time.

But a study on an Amazon fish has cast doubt on the rapidity of this decline.

Despite thousands of years of asexual reproduction, the genomes of the Amazon molly fish are remarkably stable and the species has survived.

Details of the work have been published in Nature Ecology and Evolution...

The Theory of Evolution continues to evolve.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Interesting, but I'm dtill not dure asexual reprofucyion will really cstch on . . .

Is it a sign of the times that on seeing the word "Amazon" my mind flipped to the retailer (with some surprise) rather than the river? Or because I had just been looking for something on their website?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

Bluenose

The interesting thing about this fish is that it is actually a hybrid.  It seems that what is usually called hybrid vigour is a factor in its ability to continue without the expected accumulation of genetic error building up.  It occurred to me, however, that maybe the reason this appears to be happening is that new hybrids are being produced from fish of normal, sexually reproducing fish of the "parent" specie, thus giving the illusion of a stable, asexually reproducing population.  I mean, it is reproducing asexually, but the new hybrids are performing the "editing" of errors in the genome that natural selection usually does.  If you know what I mean.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Quote from: OldGit on February 18, 2018, 10:11:20 AM
We need a recipe for those. ;)

Split down the back after scaling and lightly sautée in olive oil. Finish whth wilted spinach and a brown butter sace.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz