News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

The Next Step in Digital Imaging

Started by Recusant, February 14, 2018, 02:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Eric Fossum, the inventor of the CMOS imaging chip used in digital cameras and some other technologies, has come up with an even more sensitive technology for creating digital images.

"Super Sensitive Sensor Sees What You Can't" | NPR

QuoteA team of engineers at Dartmouth College has invented a semiconductor chip that could someday give the camera in your phone the kind of vision even a superhero would envy.

The new technology comes from Eric Fossum, a professor of engineering and his colleagues at Dartmouth's Thayer School of Engineering.

This isn't the first imaging technology Fossum has worked on. Twenty-five years ago, while working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, he invented CMOS image sensor technology.

"There's about 4 billion cameras made every year with that CMOS image sensor technology," Fossum says.

The CMOS sensor chip turns light into electrical signals that can be processed to form digital images.

Fossum calls his new technology QIS, for Quanta Image Sensor. Instead of pixels, QIS chips have what Fossum and his colleagues call "jots." Each jot can detect a single particle of light, called a photon.

"What this chip can do because it's sensitive to single photons is it can see in the dimmest possible light," Fossum says.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

That sounds awesome. I'd love to have a camera that works like that.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Another giga-quantum leap!

Wonder if a collection of a specific number of photons from a single location is a "tittle". . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

One photon is pretty sensitive.

My wife's been using a new camera, the Light 16.
It has 16 lenses and sensors. Up to 10 fire on any shot.
The software does some amazing things with changing focus and light levels.

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on February 14, 2018, 08:49:47 PM

Hey, looks like a cool tool there!

Tried to check the UK price, not on Amazon yet.

Er, seeing the US price . . . Think I'll give it a miss! They usualy just translate $ directly to £.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Quote from: Dave on February 14, 2018, 10:13:13 PM
Quote from: joeactor on February 14, 2018, 08:49:47 PM

Hey, looks like a cool tool there!

Tried to check the UK price, not on Amazon yet.

Er, seeing the US price . . . Think I'll give it a miss! They usualy just translate $ directly to £.

Yeah, the retail on that was pretty pricey. We got an early backer discount, plus another special discount... Still a bit buggy on the software side, but really cool pictures.