News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The decline of scientific research in America.

Started by Dave, January 21, 2018, 01:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I wish there was an up-to-date version of this Neil deGrasse Tyson article, much has happened even in the past 5 years. But the maps are fascinating...

QuoteThe color-coded world map above can be used for reference when studying the maps below.

QuoteThe map above represents territory sizes in proportion to the number of papers published in 2001 that were written by scientists living there.

QuoteThe map above represents the growth in scientific research between 1990 and 2001. Territory sizes are proportional to the increase in scientific papers by authors working in those countries in 2001 compared to 1990.

I have concerns about the decline in the UK with the current economic and political situations and Brexit looming. Where private financing plays a big part the effect of the software "technology" growth attracting funds for potential fast-bucks must be significant.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jatzy

Quote from: Dave on January 21, 2018, 01:24:52 PM
The video does not work in the article but . . .

https://youtu.be/amht5jdSY10
Wow, Africa my motherland. We are in trouble

Sent from my Infinix Zero 3 using Tapatalk

Tank

Hi Jatzy

Where are you in Africa?

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 21, 2018, 01:25:21 PM
China just recently took over, I think.

Edited to add: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-00927-4?utm_source=fbk_nnc&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=naturenews&sf179692376=1

Interesting, but there is the question of the quality and value of the papers. We hsd a couple of Chinese educsted engineers in my last company, a married couple. There had been worries about the thousands of engineers thst graduated every year. But we were told that only a fairly small percentage ever matched a half decent Western degree. Their degrees were then factories, assembly lines, with vonsequent quality conttol spread on output.

This may have changed in the past 15 hesrs and it is evident that China is on the rising end of the seesaw compared to America. And Trump's attitudes will not help.

Dave

Yeah, greetings, Jatzy.

Seems like many countries in Africa have many problems at the moment - but many are doing well in technology utilization, especially smartphones use and  apps.

Icarus

Not to worry about the diminishment of the Brit contributions Dave.  Your ancestors have paid their dues quite well.

I am currently engrossed in a book written by a man named Marcus Chown.  Not sure if he is a Brit but he chooses to live there in merrie olde England.  He is a cosmologist who had been a radio astronomer at California Institute of Technology. Cal Tech is in the top tier of the high zoot institutions.. His most recent book, the one that has grabbed me so firmly, is titled: The Ascent Of Gravity. You can deduce from the title that gravity is the main focus of the book.  This is anything but a dull scientific treatise about mysterious forces.

Chown is a remarkably skilled writer because he explain some complex science in a way that can be understood by ordinary readers. He delves into physical realities that most of us did not know exists.....  Like the fact that the tides move large bodies of water but the mutual attractions of the moon which causes tides, also cause earthen tides.  Yep.  The earth, and the moon as well, swell and contract in measurable ways that obey the laws of mutual attraction all mixed in nicely with the inverse square rule that applies to bodies that have mass.

The CERN  LHC has to be adjusted ever so slightly at certain times because the earth expands and contracts. Who knew?  The tunnel is affected and the projectile path of the protons, electrons and all, can deviate slightly from their assigned path because of the particular position of the moon at that time.  Whooooeeee!  Who knew that the rotational velocity of the moon is slowing and the rotation velocity of earth is increasing....not by much but measurably so.  All this because of gravity.  Thanks to Isaac Newton, the stuffy old Brit, who got us started on the gravity influence kick.

A few of you science buffs.....Dave, Recusant, Tank, Hermes, and some other HAFers will have a good time with this book. You too JJ. I know that you are a smart dude that knows a lot more more than merely fixing tractors.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on February 17, 2018, 12:24:44 AM
Not to worry about the diminishment of the Brit contributions Dave.  Your ancestors have paid their dues quite well.

I am currently engrossed in a book written by a man named Marcus Chown.  Not sure if he is a Brit but he chooses to live there in merrie olde England.  He is a cosmologist who had been a radio astronomer at California Institute of Technology. Cal Tech is in the top tier of the high zoot institutions.. His most recent book, the one that has grabbed me so firmly, is titled: The Ascent Of Gravity. You can deduce from the title that gravity is the main focus of the book.  This is anything but a dull scientific treatise about mysterious forces.

Chown is a remarkably skilled writer because he explain some complex science in a way that can be understood by ordinary readers. He delves into physical realities that most of us did not know exists.....  Like the fact that the tides move large bodies of water but the mutual attractions of the moon which causes tides, also cause earthen tides.  Yep.  The earth, and the moon as well, swell and contract in measurable ways that obey the laws of mutual attraction all mixed in nicely with the inverse square rule that applies to bodies that have mass.

The CERN  LHC has to be adjusted ever so slightly at certain times because the earth expands and contracts. Who knew?  The tunnel is affected and the projectile path of the protons, electrons and all, can deviate slightly from their assigned path because of the particular position of the moon at that time.  Whooooeeee!  Who knew that the rotational velocity of the moon is slowing and the rotation velocity of earth is increasing....not by much but measurably so.  All this because of gravity.  Thanks to Isaac Newton, the stuffy old Brit, who got us started on the gravity influence kick.

A few of you science buffs.....Dave, Recusant, Tank, Hermes, and some other HAFers will have a good time with this book. You too JJ. I know that you are a smart dude that knows a lot more more than merely fixing tractors.

Thanks for this, Icarus. I will certainly get the book. I know that  Jupiter's enormous gravity heats Io by the same effect (http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/ask/100-Why-does-Io-have-so-many-volcanoes-).
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Thanks, Icarus, will add that to my list!

Seems Chown was born and started his studies in Britain but also worked under Richard Feynman. Very little about the man in Wiki.

Later: I was thinking that the name "Chown" does not sounds English but one should not jump to conclusions, it actually is! It was originally a forename in the Middle Ages. The surname, Chinn, in England may have nothing to link it to the Chinese name spelled the same, it refers to a gully in a cliff, otherwise a "chine".

For years I assumed, from the forename and style, that the author of "Calculus made easy" (with jokes no less), Sylvanus P. Thompson, was an American. But no, he was an English Quaker.

Icarus

Hermes, Chown mentions Io's behavior and explains it sufficiently well. 

Dave, I have S.P. Thompson's book.  I use it regularly.  He was an accomplished teacher and he does make calculus look easy.  I also have Lancelot Hogben's book: Mathematics For the Million.   The math student needs look no further than that book. It covers just about everything a serious student might need.

The Brits have been generous with their learned instruction over a long period of time. 

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on February 17, 2018, 10:45:07 PM

Dave, I have S.P. Thompson's book.  I use it regularly.  He was an accomplished teacher and he does make calculus look easy.  I also have Lancelot Hogben's book: Mathematics For the Million.   The math student needs look no further than that book. It covers just about everything a serious student might need.

The Brits have been generous with their learned instruction over a long period of time.

Many of the most generous Brits have been Quakers. Something good in the ethos of that sect even if the practices sre not for the likes of us.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on February 18, 2018, 07:42:17 AM
Quote from: Icarus on February 17, 2018, 10:45:07 PM

Many of the most generous Brits have been Quakers. Something good in the ethos of that sect even if the practices sre not for the likes of us.

One of the most famous Quakers was Arthur Eddington.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames