Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OK, here goes a Pom trying to tell an Aussie joke:

Jimmo was a bush guide, taking bunches of city types out in the outback. He would show them that even parched looking places could supply food, how to hide from the sun and, if met, what to avoid.

At about midday one of the clients, who's watch had given up in the heat, asked him what the tine was. Jimmo took off his hat, held it up and said, "Twenty to twelve." Another client, having glanced at his watch, said, "Blimey, that's dead on, do you use your hat to measure the Sun's angle?"

"Naw," replied Jimmo, "I don't like me watch on me wrist, it catches on things, so I sewed it inside me hat - always got that near me."

Translated into correct Aussie lingo (LOL):

Jacko was a fair dinkum bushie that took mobs of townies out bush.  He showed them how to get bush tucker even if it was as dry as a dead dingo's donga, how to  keep out of the heat and how to avoid getting bushwhacked.

At about noon one day, one of the townies, whose cheap two-bob watch had karked it in the heat, asked him the time.  Jacko took off his beaten up old slouch hat held it up and said "twenty to twelve". Another of the townies, having glanced at his watch, said, "Crikey, that's dead set right on, do you use your hat to measure the Sun's angle?"

"Yeah, Nah," replied Jacko, "I don't like me watch on me wrist, it catches on things, so I sewed it inside me hat - always got that near me."

I liked the original, but I just couldn't help myself. :D
My granddaughter know all about happiness (click on link to view):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mfFsyKWMDCY4huO7FYJ4AWinve8mnZsB/view?usp=sharing
In the teaching capacity you are not questioning the intelligence of the students unless you are an arrogant asshole. You are anything but that XSP.   You are trying your best to expand their information base and nothing more.  Teaching is a very personal relationship with the students that you care about. If you can give them some clues in that regard, they will never feel that their intelligence has been in question.

Even at my advanced age, I can remember and appreciate a few of the teachers that I had in high school (70 years ago).  Those special  people changed my life for the better. 
That's very clear. Can you remember what lens you used?

I took this in 2009 using a Nikon E7600 compact camera.
Technical details, f2.8, 1/276 sec, ISO 50, Focal length 8 mm

From a 2006 product release at the time:
The COOLPIX 7600 makes it simple for anyone to get results they can be proud of. The 7.1 effective megapixel shooting capability allows the user to capture much more detail than most other entry level digital cameras, while the powerful 3x optical 38-114mm* Zoom-Nikkor ED lens achieves superior sharpness and optimal color correction.
* 35mm [135] equivalent.

I have to laugh at the blurb, but hey, back in the day that wasn't bad for a "happy snap" camera.

BTW, the spider in this photo is tiny,maybe 5 mm long and the photo was taken hand held and it was a bit windy so I had to pick my time to take the shot.

That is a scary photo.  That is proof for the rumor that giant people eating insects and giant  predators that prey on the giant people eating insects thrive in OZ.

Hey, hardly anyone has been eaten by giant people eating insects over here for weeks...
Life As An Atheist / Re: Are we born atheists?
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 01:07:37 AM »
^ A comeback is my first thought too Sandy. On second thought, there is no use refuting the claims of deluded people who actually believe that non believers are deluded. 
 :lol:

I thought it was kind of amusing. I'm not really that cranky until I've had my coffee in the morning...said no wife ever. j/k, I've been married to the same gal for 37 years. I discovered International Delight Hazelnut Creamer back in about '01. That stuff is soooo good! But it was like crack! I found myself driving to various stores to get it, because I only liked that flavor. 6 AM, driving from store to store, to score it. I finally just went and quit cold turkey. Nothing owns me like that.
Took this in the garden of a home I lived in a few years ago:

That is a scary photo.  That is proof for the rumor that giant people eating insects and giant  predators that prey on the giant people eating insects thrive in OZ.   
Life As An Atheist / Re: Impromptu lecture
« Last post by joeactor on Today at 12:45:39 AM »
Be careful... wouldn't want to over-expose him to your heathen ways.

He gave every indication of just being one of those people who doesn't need religion to teach them to be a decent person. Probably hadn't been to church since he, or a friend or relation, did the "accepted" (but basicslly meaningless) thing for his generation (he was retired so 60+) at a church wedding or something.

So I was just filling a gap in his curiosity I think.

Good on you, mate!

Oh, dear, I always drink black coffee . . .

Not an "Americano",  just a black coffee please.

Or I''ll bite yer friggin nose off!
Life As An Atheist / Re: Impromptu lecture
« Last post by Dave on August 17, 2018, 09:50:29 PM »
Be careful... wouldn't want to over-expose him to your heathen ways.

He gave every indication of just being one of those people who doesn't need religion to teach them to be a decent person. Probably hadn't been to church since he, or a friend or relation, did the "accepted" (but basicslly meaningless) thing for his generation (he was retired so 60+) at a church wedding or something.

So I was just filling a gap in his curiosity I think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10