Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by Bad Penny II on Today at 01:09:44 PM »
I want one of these, or a pair.

If I walked out my door and was surprised by one of those I'd probably trip over my feet trying to get back in the house. That critter creeps me out.

Because you know you are guilty as do the tree kangaroos.
They're plainly asking why but you have no answer you can express.
« Last post by jumbojak on Today at 12:39:14 PM »

If I walked out my door and was surprised by one of those I'd probably trip over my feet trying to get back in the house. That critter creeps me out.
« Last post by jumbojak on Today at 12:37:36 PM »
Trying to get some people hyped up for an international neuroscience/psychology congress in my hometown. If we get a group of 30 people together we all get a 30% discount.

I would go by myself but it's so damn expensive. The university only partially covers the costs.  :-\

Tell them that there's a prize or a giveaway. New lab coats, surgical gloves, maybe even a brand new car.
« Last post by Tank on Today at 09:48:25 AM »
^^^ Tree kangeroo! They appear to be as placid as the look. There was one at Chester zoo that was having problems getting around because its claws had got too long. With most animals you'd have to tranquillise them to do the job. In this case one keeper fed it fruit while the other clipped its claws. No problems.
« Last post by Bad Penny II on Today at 08:30:01 AM »

Current Events / Re: Brexit
« Last post by Tank on Today at 07:55:28 AM »
Well she survived the vote. By exactly the number expected. It looks like the votes she bought for £1 billion paid off. It's bizarre but it is illegal to 'buy' votes in the UK yet she did exactly that!
Media / HAF Book Club: February poll and discussion
« Last post by Sandra Craft on Today at 05:58:04 AM »
[By the way, I'm looking for more nominations of both fiction and non-fiction books]

And the Mountains Echoed, by Khaled Hosseini
In this tale revolving around not just parents and children but brothers and sisters, cousins and caretakers, Hosseini explores the many ways in which families nurture, wound, betray, honor, and sacrifice for one another; and how often we are surprised by the actions of those closest to us, at the times that matter most. Following its characters and the ramifications of their lives and choices and loves around the globe—from Kabul to Paris to San Francisco to the Greek island of Tinos—the story expands gradually outward, becoming more emotionally complex and powerful with each turning page.

Parable of the Sower, by Octavia E. Butler
As environmental and economic crisis lead to social chaos, a recently orphaned teenager begins a fight for survival that will lead to a new religion and vision for humanity.  [Published in 1993, I’m proposing this one for its -- and its sequel, Parable of the Talents -- startling foretelling of much of what's going on now, even the Trump Presidency]

The Tortilla Curtain, by T. C. Boyle
A novel about middle-class values, illegal immigration, xenophobia, poverty, and environmental destruction. It was awarded the French Prix Médicis Étranger prize for best foreign novel in 1997.

The Yiddish Policemen’s Union, by Michael Chabon
For sixty years Jewish refugees and their descendants have prospered in the Federal District of Sitka, a "temporary" safe haven created in the wake of the Holocaust and the shocking 1948 collapse of the fledgling state of Israel. The Jews of the Sitka District have created their own little world in the Alaskan panhandle, a vibrant and complex frontier city that moves to the music of Yiddish. But now the District is set to revert to Alaskan control, and their dream is coming to an end.

« Last post by Icarus on January 16, 2019, 11:42:34 PM »

Ecurb, our very own representatives have somehow managed not to indulge in reasoned debate by people who understand the issues.  I will blame that on our ill informed voters or should I say dumb ass voters, many of whom failed ninth grade civics classes.

For heavens sake, how did we manage to elect a leader whose head is constantly in a place where the sun does not shine and who has become one of histories most inveterate liars.   Ms May is at least aware of the implications and consequences of her Brexit arrangements. 
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on January 16, 2019, 07:37:27 PM »
Trying to get some people hyped up for an international neuroscience/psychology congress in my hometown. If we get a group of 30 people together we all get a 30% discount.

I would go by myself but it's so damn expensive. The university only partially covers the costs.  :-\
« Last post by Ecurb Noselrub on January 16, 2019, 03:17:20 PM »
The crisis was created by the people. They voted for Brexit.  You reap what you sow.  Just like we are with Trump.

They voted to sow but they haven't sown yet
They may vote not sow.

Direct democracy is dangerous. Representative democracy at least allows some reasoned debate by people who understand the issue. If you get to vote again every time the outcome is not to your liking, why not vote a third time?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10