Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

My new book: Deciphering the Gospels Proves Jesus Never Existed

Started by rgprice, August 24, 2018, 01:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g2perk

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: g2perk on September 26, 2018, 02:57:41 PM
Ok. That is a typical unbelievers reaction. I'm sure my comment made you feel some type of way.  But all honesty it is true with all facts to back that up. The Bible was written for believers (Hebrews). If anyone reads this book with a closed mind then the outcome will be limited. It introduces the Spirit to the human body. If you would like we can go into detail.  One misunderstanding I would like to start with is this. Many ppl think when Jesus comes back he is going to judge our sins. That cannot be further from the Truth. Believers Faith comes because we know Sin was dealt with when Jesus Died on the cross. It's no longer important. The only thing that remains is the consequences of sin in this earthly realm.  "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭9:27-28‬ ‭ESV‬‬
http://bible.com/59/heb.9.27-28.esv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, if you feel it makes you a better person then go for it. I and many others do not feel we need an outdated morally contradictory book to 'help us deal with our sins', and certainly see no value in quoting passages of the bible to claim the veracity of the bible...

(That's called circular reasoning)  ::)

Well I was not suggesting what book you should read I was just commenting on this guys book. He suggested that God did not exist and he had proof. My take is simply if you don't believe in a thing you won't understand the thing.  Circulars reasoning you say well Im sorry if everything comes back around to the Creator.

Tank

"if you don't believe in a thing you won't understand the thing"

Utter rubbish. If you require 'belief' all you'll get is confirmation bias. If you can't put aside your 'belief' in a subject you can not possibly be objective about it. And if you can't be objective your view is totally meaningless.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

A real person? Not a real person? Whatever he facts are, those who believe are allowing people who lived a couple of thousand years ago to mess with their minds now.   
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: g2perk on September 30, 2018, 08:20:44 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 26, 2018, 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: g2perk on September 26, 2018, 02:57:41 PM
Ok. That is a typical unbelievers reaction. I'm sure my comment made you feel some type of way.  But all honesty it is true with all facts to back that up. The Bible was written for believers (Hebrews). If anyone reads this book with a closed mind then the outcome will be limited. It introduces the Spirit to the human body. If you would like we can go into detail.  One misunderstanding I would like to start with is this. Many ppl think when Jesus comes back he is going to judge our sins. That cannot be further from the Truth. Believers Faith comes because we know Sin was dealt with when Jesus Died on the cross. It's no longer important. The only thing that remains is the consequences of sin in this earthly realm.  "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭9:27-28‬ ‭ESV‬‬
http://bible.com/59/heb.9.27-28.esv

Hey, if you feel it makes you a better person then go for it. I and many others do not feel we need an outdated morally contradictory book to 'help us deal with our sins', and certainly see no value in quoting passages of the bible to claim the veracity of the bible...

(That's called circular reasoning)  ::)

Well I was not suggesting what book you should read I was just commenting on this guys book. He suggested that God did not exist and he had proof. My take is simply if you don't believe in a thing you won't understand the thing.  Circulars reasoning you say well Im sorry if everything comes back around to the Creator.

I'm getting I-don't-know-what-a-fallacy-is vibes here.  ::)

Let's try and make it easy for you to understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_reasoning

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

"Circulars reasoning you say well Im sorry if everything comes back around to the Creator. "

It doesn't. In fact nothing comes back to a creator. The simple fact is that nobody knows why the Universe we perceive exists at all and nobody ever has. Our ancestors made up stories to explain existence and those stories evolved into the myths that we now call religions and personal faith (delusions).

Humans made up gods. Why God?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

g2perk

This is to everyone,  I am a student of the scriptures, not a student of Religion so let's get that straight. The part of scripture that many don't understand is how the Spirit moved from person to person enlightening those that were worthy of carrying His message to the world. Bringing Humans from the darkness to the light. Inputing in them a moral compass which in turn guides our path. Now you can say I'm full of it and it's just the universe, but even Those of you that don't believe this knows there is more to the Bible than just old Ancient Men killing and taking over land. The scriptures that I am speaking of allows a person to actually follow the spirit through the journey of time. This is the real Faith.

Tank

Quote from: g2perk on October 03, 2018, 08:45:48 PM
This is to everyone,  I am a student of the scriptures, not a student of Religion so let's get that straight. The part of scripture that many don't understand is how the Spirit moved from person to person enlightening those that were worthy of carrying His message to the world. Bringing Humans from the darkness to the light. Inputing in them a moral compass which in turn guides our path. Now you can say I'm full of it and it's just the universe, but even Those of you that don't believe this knows there is more to the Bible than just old Ancient Men killing and taking over land. The scriptures that I am speaking of allows a person to actually follow the spirit through the journey of time. This is the real Faith.

First warning for preaching. This sort of shit isn't welcome here.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: g2perk on October 03, 2018, 08:45:48 PM

:eyeroll: :picard facepalm:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 03, 2018, 10:22:25 PM

re: circular reasoning.  Many, many years ago I was reading an article in Ms. magazine and the author defended circular reasoning because "nature moves in a circle".  It was the last straw.  I still consider myself very much a feminist, but as of that moment I was out of the Women's Movement.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on October 03, 2018, 10:33:48 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 03, 2018, 10:22:25 PM

re: circular reasoning.  Many, many years ago I was reading an article in Ms. magazine and the author defended circular reasoning because "nature moves in a circle".  It was the last straw.  I still consider myself very much a feminist, but as of that moment I was out of the Women's Movement.

The things people come up with!

rgprice

So, an update on this:

The book is doing well. Steven Pinker tweeted about in November, which drove a lot of interest. It's gotten a lot fo good reviews on various sites, Amazon, goodreads, etc.

Here is a website for the book: http://www.decipheringthegospels.com/

Here is a recent blog post I made about some of the major implications of the book: http://www.rationalrevolution.net/blog/?p=40

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: rgprice on January 13, 2019, 03:48:25 PM
So, an update on this:

The book is doing well. Steven Pinker tweeted about in November, which drove a lot of interest. It's gotten a lot fo good reviews on various sites, Amazon, goodreads, etc.

Here is a website for the book: http://www.decipheringthegospels.com/

Here is a recent blog post I made about some of the major implications of the book: http://www.rationalrevolution.net/blog/?p=40

Well done!  8)

21stCenturyIconoclast

The complete irony is that why would the pseudo-christian really want Jesus to exist in the first place, especially if he is considered as Yahweh God incarnate?!

When the mythical Jesus becomes Yahweh god, then Jesus' followers today have to accept the biblical axiom, among many horrific examples,  that Jesus caused brutal abortions, and the murdering of innocent fetus' and babies!

"As for Ephraim, their glory shall fly away like a bird, from the birth even from the womb and from the conception.Though they bring up their sons, yet I will bereave them, that there shall not be a man left; yea, woe also to them when I depart from them! Ephraim, as I saw Tyre, is planted in a pleasant place; but Ephraim shall bring forth his sons to the murderer. Give them, O LORD, that which thou must give them; give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts. All their wickedness was in Gilgal, for there I took a dislike to them; for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of my house, I will never love them again: all their princes are disloyal. Ephraim was smitten, their root is dried up; they shall bear no more fruit; even though they bring forth, yet I will slay even the desirable fruit of their womb." (Hosea 9: 11-16)

If only the pseudo-christian would check their calendars of late, where we're in the 21st century, and not back in the pagan and primitive Bronze and Iron Age of thinking, of which their horrific bible was written.

Raise your hands if you want to worship a serial killer abortionist Jesus!

Bluenose

This thread popped up on my unread posts list today, so I re-read the entire thread to make sure I understood the context.  While I did this my BS detector started pinging like crazy. Your claims for the Pauline letters are arrant nonsense.  They do not prove anything about the historical Jesus, they're only the misogynistic rantings of an absolute lunatic.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

g2perk

Quote from: 21stCenturyIconoclast on February 14, 2019, 09:57:06 PM

The complete irony is that why would the pseudo-christian really want Jesus to exist in the first place, especially if he is considered as Yahweh God incarnate?!

When the mythical Jesus becomes Yahweh god, then Jesus' followers today have to accept the biblical axiom, among many horrific examples,  that Jesus caused brutal abortions, and the murdering of innocent fetus' and babies!

"As for Ephraim, their glory shall fly away like a bird, from the birth even from the womb and from the conception.Though they bring up their sons, yet I will bereave them, that there shall not be a man left; yea, woe also to them when I depart from them! Ephraim, as I saw Tyre, is planted in a pleasant place; but Ephraim shall bring forth his sons to the murderer. Give them, O LORD, that which thou must give them; give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts. All their wickedness was in Gilgal, for there I took a dislike to them; for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of my house, I will never love them again: all their princes are disloyal. Ephraim was smitten, their root is dried up; they shall bear no more fruit; even though they bring forth, yet I will slay even the desirable fruit of their womb." (Hosea 9: 11-16)

If only the pseudo-christian would check their calendars of late, where we're in the 21st century, and not back in the pagan and primitive Bronze and Iron Age of thinking, of which their horrific bible was written.

Raise your hands if you want to worship a serial killer abortionist Jesus!