News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Bernie's Down But Not Out

Started by MadBomr101, April 20, 2016, 03:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

Silly me, I forgot how much of a peace lover Clinton is. 

Davin

Quote from: Firebird on June 09, 2016, 03:54:25 PM
Quote from: Davin on June 09, 2016, 03:40:11 PM
It doesn't offend my sensibility, it's just wrong. And though your response here is brief, it contains an impressive amount of inaccuracies.
How is it wrong and inaccurate?

I would think that it would be fairly obvious, but here ya go:

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 09, 2016, 03:24:26 PM
Sorry that my plea to vote wise and spare the world offends your sensibility.

The plea wasn't to vote wise, it was to vote out of fear.

The president is not the only source of power in this country, the world will be sparred or not based on many other things. Congress for one thing can do a lot more than they are doing, but everyone is treating the president like the president solely runs the country. No, the world will not be destroyed if Trump is elected, it will be destroyed slowly by allowing the system that is doing the damage to continue unabated.

And one of the other errors is that the irrational plea has somehow offended my sensibility. I don't get offended by demonstrations of ignorance, we're all ignorant of far more than we are knowledgeable.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Firebird

Quote from: Davin on June 09, 2016, 04:51:06 PM

Right, because clearly I'm just an idiot and everything you think should be second-nature to everyone else. Carry on

The president is not the only source of power in this country, the world will be sparred or not based on many other things. Congress for one thing can do a lot more than they are doing,

Yeah, that worked real well when Bush decided to invade Iraq.

No, the world will not be destroyed if Trump is elected, it will be destroyed slowly by allowing the system that is doing the damage to continue unabated.

What does that even mean? Which system are you referring to, the world financial system, the US political system? Vague assertions don't add up to a coherent argument.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Bad Penny II

Fanciful nonsense, would you be doing this if Crow was still here?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Quote from: Firebird on June 09, 2016, 05:10:58 PM

Right, because clearly I'm just an idiot and everything you think should be second-nature to everyone else. Carry on
While I can't prevent you from doing it, this would work better if you refrain from inserting things I didn't say into what I did actually say.

Quote from: Firebird
The president is not the only source of power in this country, the world will be sparred or not based on many other things. Congress for one thing can do a lot more than they are doing,

Yes, the people that people elected to congress didn't do a good job, and yet most of them were voted in again. That congress allowed it to happen doesn't mean the president just gets to do whatever they want.

No, the world will not be destroyed if Trump is elected, it will be destroyed slowly by allowing the system that is doing the damage to continue unabated.

What does that even mean? Which system are you referring to, the world financial system, the US political system? Vague assertions don't add up to a coherent argument.
While my usage was abstract, it was not vague (except obviously by the necessity of abstraction). What we have in the US is a defacto two party system. Given the context of the discussion in the thread, I didn't think that I would need to elaborate. Even you yourself had mentioned voting for one out of two people, which makes me confused as to why you would think my usage was vague and not coherent.

I get it, you want to vote out of fear from a Trump presidency. You may not want to perpetuate the defacto two party system, but when you vote this way, that is what you are doing. You may have concluded that the risks are too great right now to not vote against Trump, I can understand that and I can empathize. That is your choice to make. But it is not the choice I make.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 09, 2016, 05:17:30 PM
Fanciful nonsense, would you be doing this if Crow was still here?
I did the same things when Crow was still here, so I suppose the answer for me would be a yes.

Though I would like you support the accusation that what I said is "fanciful nonsense."

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Davin on June 09, 2016, 05:30:28 PM

While I can't prevent you from doing it, this would work better if you refrain from inserting things I didn't say into what I did actually say.

Yes, the people that people elected to congress didn't do a good job, and yet most of them were voted in again. That congress allowed it to happen doesn't mean the president just gets to do whatever they want.

While my usage was abstract, it was not vague (except obviously by the necessity of abstraction). What we have in the US is a defacto two party system. Given the context of the discussion in the thread, I didn't think that I would need to elaborate. Even you yourself had mentioned voting for one out of two people, which makes me confused as to why you would think my usage was vague and not coherent.

I get it, you want to vote out of fear from a Trump presidency. You may not want to perpetuate the defacto two party system, but when you vote this way, that is what you are doing. You may have concluded that the risks are too great right now to not vote against Trump, I can understand that and I can empathize. That is your choice to make. But it is not the choice I make.

I love you guys.  :)
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Firebird

Whether or not you intended to, it did come off that way. Yes, I know it's tougher to interpret meaning over the internet as opposed to face-to-face, but that was my initial reaction.

But it does mean the president has a significant amount of power and the ability to sway public opinion in a way that will influence Congress. That's exactly what Bush did by exploiting 9/11 in such a way that Congress was scared to vote against the way and seem unpatriotic or scared. And Trump's very good at swaying the public opinion of a large class of people.

It wasn't clear which "system" you were referring to. But thank you for clarifying. And you're not wrong about that. But the reasons for the de facto two-party system need to be fixed at a lower level than the presidential election, ie convincing states to do primaries instead of caucuses and allowing for things like instant-runoff voting. That all starts at the state level and below.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 09, 2016, 05:17:30 PM
... would you be doing this if Crow was still here?

I'm sorry.
I can't stop crying.

Carry on.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Firebird on June 09, 2016, 05:47:19 PM

Whether or not you intended to, it did come off that way. Yes, I know it's tougher to interpret meaning over the internet as opposed to face-to-face, but that was my initial reaction.
Which is why I always recommend not doing that. Though you are free to do so, don't expect me to defend things I didn't actually say.

But it does mean the president has a significant amount of power and the ability to sway public opinion in a way that will influence Congress. That's exactly what Bush did by exploiting 9/11 in such a way that Congress was scared to vote against the way and seem unpatriotic or scared. And Trump's very good at swaying the public opinion of a large class of people.
It means that a political party had a lot of sway, and because the president was of a particular party, the members of that party in Congress supported their party. While that is not always a bad thing, I think it has ended up doing more harm than good. That is the defacto two party system that you are supporting.

It wasn't clear which "system" you were referring to. But thank you for clarifying.
Not a problem, I don't mind clarifying even when I don't understand how there could be confusion.

Quote from: FirebirdAnd you're not wrong about that. But the reasons for the de facto two-party system need to be fixed at a lower level than the presidential election, ie convincing states to do primaries instead of caucuses and allowing for things like instant-runoff voting. That all starts at the state level and below.
I don't see why the only solution is to start at the bottom and work the way up. I guess my question is why can't we vote the way we want to on all levels at the same time? Keep in mind that I am not prone let fear sidestep my rationality.

Recusant

Quote from: Davin on June 09, 2016, 04:51:06 PMNo, the world will not be destroyed if Trump is elected . . .

I hope that you're right. There is a very real chance that he could be elected.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Quote from: Recusant on June 09, 2016, 06:48:22 PM
Quote from: Davin on June 09, 2016, 04:51:06 PMNo, the world will not be destroyed if Trump is elected . . .

I hope that you're right. There is a very real chance that he could be elected.
I spoke incorrectly there, I should have said that the world will not be destroyed because Trump is the president if he is elected. I don't think that Hillary offers a much better offer. At least with Trump I can assume that he is incompetent, but I know that Hillary is very smart, strong, and capable, but still has made many false claims herself.

From politifact:

I'm not so sure that it will be much better with Hillary, but if those are the two most likely options, it might be better with someone who is not as well equipped. I don't know.

Icarus

And the underlying question is: Why do either of the candidates aspire to become president?  Neither of them need the financial security of a presidential pension, free health care, or have any of the insecurities that concern ordinary citizens. Should we presume that either of them have an honest sense of compassion for the average citizen or the overwhelming desire to guide the nation toward "greatness again"?  I can not conceive either of them as genuinely unselfish altruists. Please help me understand that the candidates are motivated by anything other than an incredibly demanding ego. 

I reckon that this is a Psych question with no verifiable answers until it is too late.  One thing, for which I have reason to believe, is that the American voter is neither sufficiently informed nor suitably intelligent to sort out the details that would best qualify our potential national leader.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on June 09, 2016, 11:42:43 PM
And the underlying question is: Why do either of the candidates aspire to become president?  Neither of them need the financial security of a presidential pension, free health care, or have any of the insecurities that concern ordinary citizens. Should we presume that either of them have an honest sense of compassion for the average citizen or the overwhelming desire to guide the nation toward "greatness again"?  I can not conceive either of them as genuinely unselfish altruists. Please help me understand that the candidates are motivated by anything other than an incredibly demanding ego. 
Excellent observation, Icarus.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on June 09, 2016, 11:42:43 PM

"Anyone with the desire to become a politician should automatically be barred from ever being one!"
Billy Connelly etc.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.