News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

And then there were the Shakers, whose minimalist furniture aesthetic I really admire very much.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Finally, not one but two days off!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Excellent! I get one... And nothing extra for Christmas...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Inertialmass

I do not understand the causal linkage, but ever since my interesting experience with eye surgery anesthesia two days ago I've been oddly cheerful.  In fact just thinking about it right now cheers me up.  Maybe I'm a masochist and did not realize it.

My nurse explained ahead of time that I'd be receiving just a small dollop of general anesthesia administered IV whose intent is to thoroughly calm patients but not knock them out.  However, maybe due to not sleeping well the night before, I seem to have zonked right out totally.  Then for only a few seconds or maybe one minute during the deepest part of my anesthesia I remembered very clearly that I had gone in for surgery.  But I decided that something must have gone wrong because I couldn't see and I couldn't move and so, therefore, I must have died.  Oh well, I thought over and over, I saw a lot of really neat stuff and lived through very interesting times.  And isn't it so cool that consciousness does indeed continue on for awhile after death?  Must be these thoughts are fueled by the residual blood pooled in the brain, allowing what little oxygen and glucose remain to diffuse inward as food for thought.  Then I suddenly heard Dr. B***** ordering me to stop looking rightward -- please look straight ahead at the light, Inertialmass!  We're almost done with your surgery, please hold completely still, Inertialmass...

Maybe this experience cheers me because as an atheist it affirms for me that I deeply, genuinely feel that death ain't a cause for panic???

Magdalena

Quote from: Inertialmass on December 18, 2019, 12:31:41 PM
I do not understand the causal linkage, but ever since my interesting experience with eye surgery anesthesia two days ago I've been oddly cheerful.  In fact just thinking about it right now cheers me up.  Maybe I'm a masochist and did not realize it.

My nurse explained ahead of time that I'd be receiving just a small dollop of general anesthesia administered IV whose intent is to thoroughly calm patients but not knock them out.  However, maybe due to not sleeping well the night before, I seem to have zonked right out totally.  Then for only a few seconds or maybe one minute during the deepest part of my anesthesia I remembered very clearly that I had gone in for surgery.  But I decided that something must have gone wrong because I couldn't see and I couldn't move and so, therefore, I must have died.  Oh well, I thought over and over, I saw a lot of really neat stuff and lived through very interesting times.  And isn't it so cool that consciousness does indeed continue on for awhile after death?  Must be these thoughts are fueled by the residual blood pooled in the brain, allowing what little oxygen and glucose remain to diffuse inward as food for thought.  Then I suddenly heard Dr. B***** ordering me to stop looking rightward -- please look straight ahead at the light, Inertialmass!  We're almost done with your surgery, please hold completely still, Inertialmass...

Maybe this experience cheers me because as an atheist it affirms for me that I deeply, genuinely feel that death ain't a cause for panic???
Those are good reasons to be cheerful. Being able to see better after eye surgery and genuinely feeling that death ain't a cause for panic.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Here's another reason to be cheerful:
Most Online Today: 635. Most Online Ever: 635 (Today at 03:52:29 PM)

I don't think we've ever had so many people here before. Have we?  :notsure:

No one

They heard you were going to appear. Can you blame them?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on December 18, 2019, 11:08:46 PM

Have you been casting spells again?

Magdalena

No one

Find yourself neither insulted or outraged, some can only define the awe-inspiring with magic.

xSilverPhinx

And I missed it!  :(

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2019, 12:54:51 PM

Bots. :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on December 19, 2019, 01:09:28 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2019, 12:54:51 PM

Bots. :(

Even so, does it really matter if Skynet is paying attention to us now?

Ok, maybe it does...

billy rubin

the alarm went of at 0300 this morning, so i started th eslow processof waking myself up.

then the telephone rang.

except telephones don't generllay ring anymore. anyway

no work today. sorry

so i turned off the 0315 alarm and went back to sleep.

no money for the day, but i don't have to go play in the salt water at -2C either

we've got two extra teenagers in the house from christmas, cut loose from the quaker boarding school in town. one from uganda and the other from rwanda. one has already blown the household electrical panel trying to get warm

set the function, not the mechanism.