News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Secret Life of Chaos (BBC 4)

Started by Recusant, March 25, 2010, 09:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I just finished watching this show, which has been around for a few months, and has been talked about on various fora (RichardDawkins.Net, for one).  I did a search, and did not find a link to it here at HAF, so I thought just in case some here had not heard of it (I had not until I saw it on television this evening), I'd throw it out there.  You can view it on youtube for now.  It's about an hour long.  Very enjoyable and informative.

[youtube:muxsn6cq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HACkykFlIus[/youtube:muxsn6cq]

After a fairly slow (but interesting) build-up via Alan Turing, Boris Belousov, and of course Benoît Mandelbrot,  Dr. Jim Al-Khalili, professor of physics at the University of Surrey, brings it all together to show that there is a sound mathematical basis for the phenomenon of complexity arising from simplicity.  Enjoy
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ellainix

This sounds fascinating, I'll have to dive into this immediately! <3
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

happynewyear

Excellent show, just finished watching. I would recommend everyone watch it.
Thanks for the link Recusant.