lets give the forum a competitive edge

Started by spartacus, January 02, 2009, 08:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spartacus

how about a debate. select a topic and have  u.s.-u.k. teams argue it`s merits for or against. an independent group to be set up to decide winners

Whitney

Why would I want to encourage an us vs them mentality between US and UK members?

BadPoison

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "spartacus"how about a debate. select a topic and have  u.s.-u.k. teams argue it`s merits for or against. an independent group to be set up to decide winners

Better still ... why not try and argue the opposite POV? I mean get some of our best debater's and see if they can argue from the wingnut POV?

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Whitney

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"
Quote from: "spartacus"how about a debate. select a topic and have  u.s.-u.k. teams argue it`s merits for or against. an independent group to be set up to decide winners

Better still ... why not try and argue the opposite POV? I mean get some of our best debater's and see if they can argue from the wingnut POV?

Kyu

That would be interesting.  I have a problem presenting arguments from the opposite view because while I'm trying to type it out I'm continuously talking myself out of the backwards reasoning.  Which in turn makes me think I'm not representing the other side very well.  Inevitably I do end up screwing up my argument for the opposing view because I only argue what I think can be supported; which is rarely enough to be a good attempt at playing devil's advocate.

G.ENIGMA

LoL I am new here (as you may have noticed :unsure: ) however, it seems to allready have a bit of a competitive edge to It... Its going to take a little bit of browsing for me to have a better opinion ...but what I've seen so far looks competitive ... by the way whats a wingnut ( something to do with angels I'm guessing? )
To those who are overly cautious, everything seems impossible.

Whitney

Quote from: "G.ENIGMA"by the way whats a wingnut ( something to do with angels I'm guessing? )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingnut_(politics)

Wiki..the new god :)

G.ENIGMA

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "G.ENIGMA"by the way whats a wingnut ( something to do with angels I'm guessing? )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingnut_(politics)

Wiki..the new god :idea:  he/she will have "Angel Wings" one day ...  Cheers roflol  for the help.

G.ENIGMA

Quote from: "G.ENIGMA Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:42 pm "LoL I am new here (as you may have noticed :D ) best I have visited with a multitude of topics and lots of places to go ..

I understand what the forum is about ... I also understand that many of your members are intlli...inteli .. intelly :P  ... because they use many mathematical terms simlar to e=mc which goes way over my head :hail:  I am absolutely impressed with the forum and believe you me 6 -7 weeks is an impressive stay for me.. but I just thought I might keep my promise and give you a heads up on my thoughts "so far".

Absolutely no offence intended :brick:

Squid

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"

Kyu

I'm all for using a "u" when I spell colour!  Take that Crayola!

Whitney

Quote from: "G.ENIGMA"The individual forums are well laid out and the topics are numerous, however, I have to say that this is a problem for me because there is a definite case of  a much of a muchness going on in the forums and to be honest you can sometimes get a little lost in the moral maze, which (at least in my case) can make your mind (therefore my mouse) wander too much without actually posting in a consistent way until a particular topic is exhausted.

Repeatitive topics, I think, is something you'll run into at almost any forum.  Do you have a suggestion for how to make the forums better?

QuoteP.S. that under-the-chair smiley is still not working :hide2:

G.ENIGMA

Quote from: "Whitney"Repeatitive topics, I think, is something you'll run into at almost any forum.  Do you have a suggestion for how to make the forums better?

:cool:  and that your forum has been going many years which means that any suggestions I may have will most likely not be original.

You have a brilliant forum and if at anytime I think of something which could (in my humble :hide2: now"?

Whitney

I asked because I think there is always room for improvement and thought maybe you had a suggestion to improve on the issues you observed. There is nothing wrong with positive criticism.  But, not having suggestions right now is fine too, let us know if you ever think of something.

maestroanth

F

G.ENIGMA

Quote from: "Whitney"I asked because I think there is always room for improvement and thought maybe you had a suggestion to improve on the issues you observed. There is nothing wrong with positive criticism.  But, not having suggestions right now is fine too, let us know if you ever think of something.

I called in the other day (when I left a message on one of MQ's posts :idea: " i will load it on my server

which I think looks like the bees knees! :unsure: