News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Microcomputers

Started by Dave, January 30, 2018, 09:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I think I mentioned this before but can't find where. I remember saying that I was resisting getting into the microcomputer world, well, sneaked in by the back door, sort of. Blame it on my library voluntary job! Not surewhere it fits, not quite science.

BBC designed and made available the "micro:bit", just about the simplest, cheapest credit card microcomp, for free distribution to schools and libraries so kids can learn coding. Price is about £15 for a get-up-and-go kit, that's a decent pub lunch price.

So the local library has three devices and have been told they have to have a "Gadget Day" to demonstrate and promote it. It has been around for a couple of years but they are just getting round to this. Guess who is expected to run this day? Yup, the "Computer Buddies"! So, seemed like a good excuse to buy one, plus the extra bits that allow it to connect to and control motors, lights, make tunes . . . That was more expensive than the micro:bit.

Works as described when connected to a PC via USB but I could not get it to accept code via Bluetooth. Birrowed one of the library ubits and that was the same. After some emails to the tech help people I worked out a fudge that allows it to communicate - once. After sending code to it the connection drops out and you have to reconnect all over again. Flakey and ungood. Not designed for kiddos with poor attention span or in need of ibstant gratification. But I suppose such would not make good programmers anyway.

However, we will be able to at least demonstrate how it works. Now I need to design some novel things for the little beast to do. I could make it control an electric heater, turning it on only if someone is in the room and moving around and the room light is on (or it is dark outside) and the ambient temperature is below n degrees and north is in its usual place and the unit is level and standing still . . .

Yes, it has a lcompass, gyro, accelerometer, temperature sensor and simple light sensors can be connected also devices that will allow it to switch the mains on and off. Or I could build a multi axis controller for a game or "robot" car - not clever enough to interface it to a drone (yet). The simplest Java coding system is drag and drop blocks or modules, pile up the blocks (using the right syntax) you want and "flash" it to the micro:bit. So long as you keep the battery or USB connected it runs happily.

Good fun, but hoping they fix the Bluetooth bug - took the tech help centre three goes to put me on the right track, then I found a faster track. That is not good at all.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

That sounds like a fascinating device, but it seems the USB communications need some improvement. Have you checked whether there are any user forums out there, because I am pretty sure you aren't the only one experiencing this problem?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 31, 2018, 03:26:16 AM
That sounds like a fascinating device, but it seems the USB communications need some improvement. Have you checked whether there are any user forums out there, because I am pretty sure you aren't the only one experiencing this problem?

USB is fine,  Hermes, it is Bluetooth that is flakey - and the Samdung Android app does not help. For the iOS there is a sort of explanation that works but have yet to find something similar for Android. Having to reconnect to Bluetooth after using it to program the microbit could be used as a safety device to prevent subsequent accidental re-programming. But then the app should say, "Reconnect the microbit in pairing mode to send new code: OK," rather than, "Error: connection lost" (at least it spells "connection" correctly!). The latter us just a doorless brick wall to kids. Taken me two days to find the ladder, the tech help people took two emailed attempts over that time - and even then I found a shorter method than the one they suggested!.

Dave

Been through all of those links, but thanks, Hermes. They did not really help.

Basic idea is that this us a device to help kids learn coding, or at least not be frightened by it - tough enough job in itself! The whoke dystem should, after two years, be de-bugged and virtually fool proof - one should not have to sort through forums, tech pages and videos (other than those linked into the instructions)  to work out how to use the basic functions. Many of the links contain unexplained jargon that will probably put off all but the geekiest kids if they are just starting. This us badically an advanced toy and all instructions and apps should go eith that.

This device is a bear of little brain and every memory cell is critical, I can see that, as it took me two days to find out, that use with USB wipes out the pairing info - but there is nothing about that upfront, it's buried deep in the rest if the stuff.

If the Android app said, "You have successfully  programmed your micro:bit. To prevent accidental re-programming it has now been disconnected. To re-program please repeat the connection procedure - OK" rather than, "Error: disconnected - reset* the microbit and retry." followed by "ERROR" when you do that. *"Reset" is not the same as "re-pair" or "reconnect" - there is a reset button that sets the last code re-running from its start.

That way you make a feature of the bug with merely a little edit in the app!

I have had to write instructions in the past, I learned the hard way! It was even harder to get users to come directly to me if they did not understand - rather thsn just mutter in dark corners. I was only dealing with a comparatively few people on site and sone custoners, not hundreds or thousands though. My assumption was always that the user knew nothing at all about the system or the principles it used, so no jargon unless absolutely unavoidable and that explained in the text on the first time of use.

Back then there was no Internet to add a whole galaxy of complexity offering so many possible things (that may conflict or, if jargon filled, confuse further) to read that you spend more time seeking, researching and filtering, or going down side tracks, than working!

hermes2015

Dave, have you managed to solve the Bluetooth problem?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 18, 2018, 04:23:18 AM
Dave, have you managed to solve the Bluetooth problem?

Not to my satisfaction. They claim the problem is in the Android app but it seems that iPad users have similar. You can download one program then you have to go through the whole pairing procedure again to load another. I gave up using Windows 10 machines with Bluetooth..

On my laptop I have to do as instructed, download the file via the online compiler then copy it to the Micro:bit via Fike Explorer. Strangely on my Windows tablet it downloads directly to the mubit. It can be saved on the computer for future use of course.

Still trying to get my head sround Java and Python - not quite as intuitive as BASIC and there is a desrth of explanations about the functions of brackets. One good little book ecplains what all the eords and some of the symbols means but seems to ignore brackets altogether.

Otherwise it is a cool tool as an intro and good as a way of introducing interfacing microcontrollers to external electtonics. Like a one transistor amplifier snd a 9v battery to drive a loudspeaker. I have made the competitive reaction time game for use at the Gadget Day. Then enhanced the basic code to add extra flashing lights, noises etc.

It is good fun but, in support of my voluntary function at the library, I have also spent a lot of time finding and listing links to useful sites for bits, projects, technical advice etc. Luckily we are not expected to be complete experts but to at least know where to look!