News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The future of the forum

Started by Claireliontamer, June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

I must not speak gif either because I never would have gotten all that out of that Tony Soprano gif. I think my "problem" is that I always think that gifs are relatively light hearted throwaway "comments." I find them hard to take seriously. Which is fine if they aren't meant seriously, but is a breakdown of communication if you're trying to say "I'm feeling volitle and will react negatively if you mess with me" and I see it as "oh, he's teasing me back with this light hearted little gif! I should keep teasing because here we are, the two of us, having fun and throwing around gifs!"

Which is not to say people shouldn't use them, just try not to take it to heart if I'm giflexic and think we're all kidding and having fun when you're not. Imma be honest, if you need me to know that I'm upsetting you, you're going to have to use words to tell me, because otherwise if I am going to start to try to interpret which gifs are silly and which ones are serious, well, I don't know how to tell.

Davin

Quote from: Ali on June 23, 2016, 07:55:25 PM
I must not speak gif either because I never would have gotten all that out of that Tony Soprano gif. I think my "problem" is that I always think that gifs are relatively light hearted throwaway "comments." I find them hard to take seriously. Which is fine if they aren't meant seriously, but is a breakdown of communication if you're trying to say "I'm feeling volitle and will react negatively if you mess with me" and I see it as "oh, he's teasing me back with this light hearted little gif! I should keep teasing because here we are, the two of us, having fun and throwing around gifs!"

Which is not to say people shouldn't use them, just try not to take it to heart if I'm giflexic and think we're all kidding and having fun when you're not. Imma be honest, if you need me to know that I'm upsetting you, you're going to have to use words to tell me, because otherwise if I am going to start to try to interpret which gifs are silly and which ones are serious, well, I don't know how to tell.
I think even the Tony Soprano gif can be taken as a joke in most contexts. To me, most things are light hearted, no need to get upset over conversations. Sometimes I mock being upset about things I'm not really upset about, I think it's funny for people to get upset over some things, and I like to sometimes play like I am. Usually I try to be so extreme that it's obvious that I'm joking. If I were to ever use that .gif, it would be in the context of being fake upset for humor.

Most .gifs are silly by their nature, though. Like the example that I gave to Asmo that I got from a reddit forum called "wheredidthesodago" that makes .gifs from silly infomercials. As for communication problems, that's normal for all forms of communication. I think it's best for everyone to first make sure there is understanding before getting upset, because usually, people don't intend to upset others, when they do intend to upset others, it's best not to let them.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Quote from: Davin on June 23, 2016, 07:11:33 PM
But it's still not often correct. In fact, it's nearly almost always the opposite of the way you presented it.

The same image saved as .jpg is the 95.1 KB files size, but as a .gif it's 133 KB. So even in single frame files, with normal .jpg compression settings, .jps are almost always smaller than gifs at the same frame size. It's also not just sometimes different with multiframe .jpgs or .gifs. It's not really a big deal, but it is bad information to perpetuate.
The point is yours.

True, to someone who doesn't get it, it doesn't really offer much information. Just like if you tried talking to me French, but I wouldn't go around saying that speaking French doesn't really mean anything because I don't understand it.
But it does. In a setting of you having a dialogue with me, it certainly does.

I wouldn't consider it "over-interpreting" the animated image if it serves to convey to me what they meant by its usage.
But what if it serves to convey more? Or less? You can't look an image up in a dictionary to clarify, can you?

Yes, good communication takes both sides, and there is no magic bullet. The point I'm trying to make, is to stop trying to berate or brow beat those that choose to communicate in a way that you don't really like just because you don't like it. If you don't understand the usages of the animated .gifs, that's fine, I also don't understand a lot of things, that's a problem with communication in general, not just in the topic at hand.
To clarify, I was neither berating nor brow beating any one; merely standing my ground on an issue I honestly don't even consider important.

Yep.
By the way, and in the spirit of clarification, there was no sarcasm or double/shadow meaning in my "Sure... Why not," in case any was percieved. If such things are important to you in a conversation like this, then sure [as in certainly], why not? [as in OK]

I get it, it's not something that you understand. The point I'm trying to make is that just because you don't understand it, it doesn't mean that is doesn't mean something. You keep expressing that just because you personally do not understand something, that it's the failure of the thing and don't seem to consider that the failure could be on your end. Again, if people are speaking in French, I don't go around telling them their preferred form of communication is useless because I don't speak French.
Not at all. I'm professing no absolute truths here, merely stating what applies to matters concerning my own sweet self. I assumed it was implicitly clear... Perhaps not. For the rest of it, and in light of the aforementioned, your point has been answered.

But you don't seem to be good at it. I would and do understand Mags' usages. You can't just go and pick some random images and pretend like that's the same thing that we are doing. Because it's not what we are doing (at least not all the time).
Oh, my process in such cases (where evidence has to be measurable and completely without my own opinion bias) is far more expansive than a google search for "animated .gifs" It would likely take me a crew of at least three, myself included, and at least a day to compile such a response.

Here is how it woiuld work: I would write a response in words, as precisely as possible. I'd let one of my crew read it and interprete it back to me. In case of imprecisions, back to square zero. Then, I would have that person express what's been said in the form of images, then give them to the second (poreferably more than one) crew member to interprete. In case of them largely agreeing, we'd have a winner. If not, back to square one or square zero, depending on the gravity of the errors underway.

I get it, some of the users here really don't like animated .gifs. That's great for them. I've cut back on my animated .gif usage and even often post in the properly quarantined area. I'm not going to stop completely or only post in the quarantined area, but I will keep my usages limited and try my best to respect other people's preferences while still expressing myself as I feel is best. See? In this discussion I've only posted images as examples and kept to your expressed communication preferences.
I think this discussion has been great. The images used in it were also largely on toipic. Personally, I'd have used some creative tags on the two larger ones, such as widht= and height=, but since we actually seem to have accomplished something with the help of those, who the fuck cares?

Quote from: Davin on June 23, 2016, 08:47:13 PM
think even the Tony Soprano gif can be taken as a joke in most contexts. To me, most things are light hearted, no need to get upset over conversations. Sometimes I mock being upset about things I'm not really upset about, I think it's funny for people to get upset over some things, and I like to sometimes play like I am. Usually I try to be so extreme that it's obvious that I'm joking. If I were to ever use that .gif, it would be in the context of being fake upset for humor.
I just used it as an example. Honestly, I had no idea who this Soprano fellow was until I googled him like... Today. I think I might have seen a tail end of an episode or two of that series, but never bothered to learn the names.

Most .gifs are silly by their nature, though. Like the example that I gave to Asmo that I got from a reddit forum called "wheredidthesodago" that makes .gifs from silly infomercials. As for communication problems, that's normal for all forms of communication. I think it's best for everyone to first make sure there is understanding before getting upset, because usually, people don't intend to upset others, when they do intend to upset others, it's best not to let them.
Yes... I can't remember the last time I intended to upset someone, or even provoke with my words. The last time I did, however... In person? Earlier today. Refugee-related politics, you know...

I think mutual understanding of each other's ways of expression is indeed the key, and it's discussions like this one that can actually get us moving in the general direction thereof.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on June 23, 2016, 09:42:38 PMBut it does. In a setting of you having a dialogue with me, it certainly does.
Aye, which is why in this conversation with you I have refrained from using them. I understand that position and am not arguing against it. I guess my point was just that the word choices you used made it look like a universal dislike. And I don't think even a .gif could have clarified that.

Quote from: Asmodean
I wouldn't consider it "over-interpreting" the animated image if it serves to convey to me what they meant by its usage.
But what if it serves to convey more? Or less? You can't look an image up in a dictionary to clarify, can you?
Because normal people often say things they don't mean to mean things they didn't say, I always have to thoroughly analyze all forms of communication in an attempt to make sure that I understand what they are saying. I don't see looking at a .gif and trying to interpret all its possible meanings any more work than what I do with text.

I imagine that soon there will be a site that will make not only looking up animated .gifs to use easier, but can also be used to look up what they mean. Maybe it will just be for fun, but really, entertainment is a big reason why I read and post here.

Yes, good communication takes both sides, and there is no magic bullet. The point I'm trying to make, is to stop trying to berate or brow beat those that choose to communicate in a way that you don't really like just because you don't like it. If you don't understand the usages of the animated .gifs, that's fine, I also don't understand a lot of things, that's a problem with communication in general, not just in the topic at hand.
To clarify, I was neither berating nor brow beating any one; merely standing my ground on an issue I honestly don't even consider important.
I don't understand why it would be called standing your ground, not is attacking not using .gifs. You might see why seeing so many posters so often talking about hating/disliking .gifs can be seen and berating and/or brow beating. I accept that you don't intend to, but it's hard to see it as anything but.

Yep.
By the way, and in the spirit of clarification, there was no sarcasm or double/shadow meaning in my "Sure... Why not," in case any was percieved. If such things are important to you in a conversation like this, then sure [as in certainly], why not? [as in OK]
Also, I was just answering your questions, no sarcasm either. I know that .gifs are not that big of an issue, but I happen to like .gifs and happen to dislike one or two posts a day of people posting about how they don't like them. I feel like if someone is going to put up one side (being against .gifs), then someone should present an alternative opinion on the issue.

I get it, it's not something that you understand. The point I'm trying to make is that just because you don't understand it, it doesn't mean that is doesn't mean something. You keep expressing that just because you personally do not understand something, that it's the failure of the thing and don't seem to consider that the failure could be on your end. Again, if people are speaking in French, I don't go around telling them their preferred form of communication is useless because I don't speak French.
Not at all. I'm professing no absolute truths here, merely stating what applies to matters concerning my own sweet self. I assumed it was implicitly clear... Perhaps not. For the rest of it, and in light of the aforementioned, your point has been answered.
Fair enough.

But you don't seem to be good at it. I would and do understand Mags' usages. You can't just go and pick some random images and pretend like that's the same thing that we are doing. Because it's not what we are doing (at least not all the time).
Oh, my process in such cases (where evidence has to be measurable and completely without my own opinion bias) is far more expansive than a google search for "animated .gifs" It would likely take me a crew of at least three, myself included, and at least a day to compile such a response.

Here is how it woiuld work: I would write a response in words, as precisely as possible. I'd let one of my crew read it and interprete it back to me. In case of imprecisions, back to square zero. Then, I would have that person express what's been said in the form of images, then give them to the second (poreferably more than one) crew member to interprete. In case of them largely agreeing, we'd have a winner. If not, back to square one or square zero, depending on the gravity of the errors underway.
:lol: Sounds like a lot of work. To be fair, I think .gifs are most useful when augmenting text communication.

I get it, some of the users here really don't like animated .gifs. That's great for them. I've cut back on my animated .gif usage and even often post in the properly quarantined area. I'm not going to stop completely or only post in the quarantined area, but I will keep my usages limited and try my best to respect other people's preferences while still expressing myself as I feel is best. See? In this discussion I've only posted images as examples and kept to your expressed communication preferences.
I think this discussion has been great. The images used in it were also largely on toipic. Personally, I'd have used some creative tags on the two larger ones, such as widht= and height=, but since we actually seem to have accomplished something with the help of those, who the fuck cares?
Honestly, I care about it. Not much, but I do care about it. As I said earlier, I understand that it's not a big issue, but I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't bother me at all. It bothers me a little, but I don't think I'll ever get upset about it. It does make me feel uncomfortable to see so much of it, and to comfort myself, I try to provide a reasonable angle from my side of the issue.

I don't think I can properly analogize how such an unimportant thing can still end up being bothersome, and I can't really think of anything that doesn't make it seem more serious than it really is. So, it does bother me a bit to see anti-gif stuff so often, even if some of it is just jokes.

Yes... I can't remember the last time I intended to upset someone, or even provoke with my words. The last time I did, however... In person? Earlier today. Refugee-related politics, you know...

I think mutual understanding of each other's ways of expression is indeed the key, and it's discussions like this one that can actually get us moving in the general direction thereof.
It is nice to have a conversation where it feels like I am being listened to, I just hope that I am listening properly.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

I guess my point was just that the word choices you used made it look like a universal dislike. And I don't think even a .gif could have clarified that.
Ah, yes. Impersonality implies universality, where using the word "I" too often implies self-centeredness... Implications, while useful, are a bitch.

I imagine that soon there will be a site that will make not only looking up animated .gifs to use easier, but can also be used to look up what they mean. Maybe it will just be for fun, but really, entertainment is a big reason why I read and post here.
Yes, please. We who lack any real point of reference on this matter would appreciate it. Even uncyclopedia is better than nocyclopedia as knowing something is bullshit is better than not knowing even that much.

I don't understand why it would be called standing your ground, not is attacking not using .gifs. You might see why seeing so many posters so often talking about hating/disliking .gifs can be seen and berating and/or brow beating. I accept that you don't intend to, but it's hard to see it as anything but.
In my world, it was much simpler; I raised a point, it got challenged, I defended it. For my part, I don't really see how I could have been percieved as berating any one as I named absolutely no names nor pointed any fingers. I did not even imply that mental finger pointing may have occurred... Because indeed it did not occur.

I feel like if someone is going to put up one side (being against .gifs), then someone should present an alternative opinion on the issue.
And you did a fine job at that. I found your replies informative in several areas.

:lol: Sounds like a lot of work. To be fair, I think .gifs are most useful when augmenting text communication.
A lot of work, yes. Which is why I rarely do such experiments for fun and pleasure. When I do, however, I'm nothing if not maniacally thorough.

Honestly, I care about it. Not much, but I do care about it. As I said earlier, I understand that it's not a big issue, but I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't bother me at all. It bothers me a little, but I don't think I'll ever get upset about it. It does make me feel uncomfortable to see so much of it, and to comfort myself, I try to provide a reasonable angle from my side of the issue.

I don't think I can properly analogize how such an unimportant thing can still end up being bothersome, and I can't really think of anything that doesn't make it seem more serious than it really is. So, it does bother me a bit to see anti-gif stuff so often, even if some of it is just jokes.
That's fair. I suppose I should have said "I don't care" in stead of "who cares?"

It is nice to have a conversation where it feels like I am being listened to, I just hope that I am listening properly.
I think so. You are not avoiding my points, nor are you prone to understanding them in a way that best suits your bias.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on June 24, 2016, 12:47:15 AM
Ah, yes. Impersonality implies universality, where using the word "I" too often implies self-centeredness... Implications, while useful, are a bitch.
Well, I think that's resolved then.

Yes, please. We who lack any real point of reference on this matter would appreciate it. Even uncyclopedia is better than nocyclopedia as knowing something is bullshit is better than not knowing even that much.
I suppose I could develop something, the underlying functionality wouldn't be that difficult. Getting content and traffic will be the tougher part.

Quote from: AsmodeanIn my world, it was much simpler; I raised a point, it got challenged, I defended it. For my part, I don't really see how I could have been percieved as berating any one as I named absolutely no names nor pointed any fingers. I did not even imply that mental finger pointing may have occurred... Because indeed it did not occur.
I think I understand that, perspectives being what they are.

Quote from: AsmodeanAnd you did a fine job at that. I found your replies informative in several areas.
Cool, it was informative for me as well.

Quote from: AsmodeanThat's fair. I suppose I should have said "I don't care" in stead of "who cares?"
That makes sense.

Magdalena

**Unspoken visual cues..? In a long-distance message based delayed-response dialogue? Sure... Why not?
**I think this discussion has been great.
**I think mutual understanding of each other's ways of expression is indeed the key, and it's discussions like this one that can actually get us moving in the general direction thereof.
Asmo, this is what I did and how I felt when I read His posts.  :grin:

Davin:

No translation needed.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

I'll have to say that the conversation between Asmo and Davin was one of the more remarkable ones I've witnessed on the Internet.  It exhibited, quite unexpectedly, lofty tones of civility.  It should be taught in schools.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on June 23, 2016, 03:21:36 PM
"I am not to be messed with and I will defend myself if you really want to take up an issue, but it won't be a polite exchange because I will be volatile, violent, and vitriolic when I feel like I am being disrespected. I'm upset that you would even imply something like what you just said, so you better tread lightly or drop it immediately..."
That's the same "feeling" I got from the Tony Soprano gif.  :smilenod:
That's why my answer (before Davin translated,) was:
QuoteI forgot to mention...
Very nice use of a GIF, Asmo.
You're giving me the "feel" of..."A Mafia "Representative."
I never would've guessed that "feeling" behind the words you wrote. I appreciate your honesty.

Professor Fancy Pants, can I apply to the "Witness Protection Program?" --Like, right now?
In other words, it sounded as if something was escalating, and rapidly. It didn't sounds like a question, it sounded...something...like...between...a dangerous dare and a threat. :shifty:

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said:
"We don't write paragraphs after paragraphs about how much we dislike their grumpiness."
And...
"What the hell are you talking about, Asmo?
Everyone here knows you're grumpy and no one has a problem with that! ---I don't mean No one, I mean, no one!"

I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being misunderstood by saying:
"Well, in case you haven't noticed, I have a  "thing" for grumpy old farts, like BPII, Siz, and grumpy young men, like Asmo and Crow."

I also wanted to make sure you knew that I wasn't angry with you, (and that the mafia representative .gif response was not necessary) so I wrote:
"When I came here, Asmo, Tank, OldGit and BCE were nice to me, and talked to me. I learned from them how to make people feel welcomed.   --I likeAsmo, even if we disagree on things. He has unique way of communicating, and I like it."
--(You see, Davin? I wasn't wrong.) Asmo listens.  :smilenod:

This is so weird, my WORDS were probably misunderstood, and your .gif was probably misunderstood. (We definitely need a sarcasm font). Everything I said would not be in sarcasm font—If they would've been, I could've understood your —angry mafia representative .gif response. My tone was probably "frustration" about the whole thing, but not anger towards Asmo.

This was a good exercise for me, and maybe even for someone who is extremely wonderful in the art of communication—like you, Asmo. Transmitting "feelings" with words or .gifs is not easy. For me, even the language I'm using plays a role in how I transmit "feelings"—Spanish or English. But that's another story. ::)

I don't know how long this ".gif language" has been around; it's brand new to me. No one explained it to me; I simply, "got it right away," and I love it. I think today I learned from Asmo that it may not be appropriate in certain conversations; I will definitely consider this next time. —It's just so hard sometimes because in my realm the .gif is totally appropriate. But I learned that not everyone "gets it," so it can be confusing. —And not being understood and not understanding something causes frustration.

Happy Friday, everyone, I think it's gonna be a great weekend!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 24, 2016, 06:08:39 PM
I'll have to say that the conversation between Asmo and Davin was one of the more remarkable ones I've witnessed on the Internet.  It exhibited, quite unexpectedly, lofty tones of civility.  It should be taught in schools.
Totally agree!  :clapping:

Asmodean

I think we generally do manage to keep a civil tone in constructive disputes here on HAF. I like it that way.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Asmodean on June 24, 2016, 06:17:04 PM
I think we generally do manage to keep a civil tone in constructive disputes here on HAF. I like it that way.

Frankly, I expected Davin to latch on like a snapping turtle and not let go, and I expected you to smite him in some nasty way.  Instead, there was textbook cordiality.  Kudos!

Steeler

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM
Since the last high profile member 'retired' I have been doing a lot of thinking.  Well, to be honest I was thinking about a lot of these things before he left but him leaving has re-energised the thoughts.  I too have been thinking of leaving/retiring whatever the correct term is, for a while now and I have come incredibly close to.  However, I have a kind of sentimental nostalgic streak about me and so I thought instead of just going I would open a thread that hopefully will be an honest an open area for people to discuss the forum and it's future.  Maybe others don't think there is a problem, in which case that too can be said here.  What I hope doesn't happen is it just turns into a moan about individuals or people take things too personally.  I would like it to be constructively critical rather than just critical if that makes sense.

I have actually been in touch with Crow and if he allows me to, I can share some of his thoughts too but this really is about the bigger picture.

Anyway.......my thoughts and opinions.

1. We have lost too many regular members that created the content that kept this place going.  Now, each may have their own reasons for leaving and yes people on forums do change but that isn't always the case and shouldn't necessarily be the norm.  When I now look at the regular contributors on here, most of them I have on another form of network too so I no longer feel like I need to be here to keep in touch with people.

2. We're not getting many new active members.  The ones who do join and start posting don't seem to be sticking around for very long.  Part of the fun of forums for me is meeting new people, not just the ones I already know and getting to hear different points of view.  It's almost become too cliquey for want of a better word and I think that is quit intimidating to new members.  Maybe we could start spreading the message out and about a little more?  It's certainly not the case that all atheist forums are low activity, I did a quick search and there are plenty of very active ones with lots of interesting topics and debates going on.  What are they doing differently?

3.  Recently I think it has been too heavily moderated for content.  Anyone who seems to spark a little bit of debate seems to be got rid of very easily.  Which I think also links back to number 2 also.  Perhaps we do need some more argumentative characters once more to kick the debates into action.  BTW I'm not equating uncivil with argumentative.  I'm thinking more of the Stevil type character who was perfectly civil but often gave a different perspective.

4.  Perhaps we need a discussion on what a forum like this is actually for?  At the moment I feel like there isn't a difference between this and my facebook feed. 

I appreciate any thoughts.

First off, this is the most spot on post I've read on this forum.
I haven't read past post number one in this thread yet, I'll do that in a minute.
Over moderated? Yes
Nitpicky? Hell yes.
Intimidating to new members? Yes, I can see that.

I came here to talk to differing people in a civil manner and felt that if I didn't agree with the regulars I should leave. I've seen it towards others as well.
There have been many topics I would like to chime in on but it's not worth the nitpicking of words or demanding I justify my opinion like there has to be a winner at the end.
I've been accused of trolling by a mod.
Until that mindset changes I'll just stick to the lounge until I just get bored enough and don't return.

Ok now I'll go read the rest of the topic.

Magdalena

Quote from: Steeler on July 04, 2016, 05:36:46 PM
Over moderated? Yes
Yes/No/Maybe/I don't know.
I'm not a moderator, maybe they can say something about that.

Quote from: Steeler
Nitpicky? Hell yes.
Yes. Some people enjoy that sort of thing. I don't.

Quote from: Steeler on July 04, 2016, 05:36:46 PM
Intimidating to new members? Yes, I can see that.
This place was intimidating to me when I came here 6 years ago, but I really wanted to be here so I stuck with it.

I came here to talk to differing people in a civil manner and felt that if I didn't agree with the regulars I should leave. I've seen it towards others as well.
Been there, done that.
No one really said it, but for some reason, I felt that if I didn't agree with "them" or the "majority" I was going to lose the argument--big time! So I left for a few months....But then I came back, because someone, (Asmo, :hug:) said something like this: "You can leave, or come back and maybe persuade a few.  ;)

There have been many topics I would like to chime in on but it's not worth the nitpicking of words or demanding I justify my opinion like there has to be a winner at the end.
Me too, I don't like all this "nitpicking" so I don't participate in those discussions.

I've been accused of trolling by a mod.
That's not right.  :eyebrow:
I've been accused of being a witch by a mod.
One of them called me 'dumb', one time.
And a member accuse me of being an asshole.
Another member called me the 'nuthouse resident'
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Edit: I must add the latest name: The resident hippie
...I like it. Not my favorite, but I like it. ;)

Until that mindset changes I'll just stick to the lounge until I just get bored enough and don't return.
Please don't leave us. Too many have left this place already.  :(

I'll just be floating around....Everywhere.   :far out:

Steeler

Thanks Mag, glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.