News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on April 04, 2018, 09:57:58 AM

FE 100-400mm G Master super-telephoto zoom lens

I just looked at some reviews, and it certainly looks like a great lens. Are getting one for your birthday, or do you own one?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Asmodean on April 04, 2018, 02:46:20 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 04, 2018, 02:37:19 PM
How are you sinners ever going to get to heaven, burdened as you are with all this shit?
Mine has wheels and an engine... Duuh!  ;)

Hermes will be OK too, I think. We can race, have an accident... Go through the Gates™ in a rolling fireball of total automotive carnage.

Ye, I suppose No one could fit his packages in his ride too.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on April 04, 2018, 02:46:20 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 04, 2018, 02:37:19 PM
How are you sinners ever going to get to heaven, burdened as you are with all this shit?
Mine has wheels and an engine... Duuh!  ;)

Hermes will be OK too, I think. We can race, have an accident... Go through the Gates™ in a rolling fireball of total automotive carnage.

That sounds like a good way to go.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I want to live here (Frank Lloyd Wright's 1935 Fallingwater house).
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 04, 2018, 04:27:01 PM
I want to live here (Frank Lloyd Wright's 1935 Fallingwater house).

That's strange, that image is a mirror to the one in my book on FLW's houses. The picture in there has the water frozen! But though I dislike most of that "boxy" (and detest the later "brutalist" corruption of it) style that looks a superb design.

Later: looks like the book got it wrong!

I prefer something rounded, this is the Norman Lyke house. Though this one would need, for me, some "bass relief" type artwork on the walls (simple shapes a la Mackintosh) and a dome (maybe for a telescope), oh, and not be in an Arizonea desert area!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Those are Plomb ratchets with their pebble finish on the handles. It was the original "thin head" design, coarse toothed, but very smooth to use. I have several later versions from after the company name was changed to Proto and use them when I can. Mine don't have the pebble finish though.

The design isn't as popular today because everyone thinks they need eighty or more teeth on a ratchet to get any work done but they are still in production with knurled handles. It's a very satisfying tool to use. The fact that there is almost no back drag comes in handy too. A combination of form and function.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

I love the old style colonial houses too. This one is very similar to a late 18th century house we have on the farm. I'd like to take it down and put it on a new site but that is unlikely. The house has been sold several times and gutted to remove any remnants of the original interior walls. Just the original mortice and tennon framing remains.

I'd like to have that house with two downstairs rooms and one upstairs bedroom with a bit of a balcony looking down. Spiral staircase to save space and have the kitchen separated from the rest of the house by a breezeway, as was done at the time the house was built. Additional bedrooms would be in the same area as the kitchen.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

I think Jesus will let you into heaven with those, he was a tradey after all.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on April 04, 2018, 05:51:50 PM
I'd like to have that house with two downstairs rooms and one upstairs bedroom with a bit of a balcony looking down. Spiral staircase to save space and have the kitchen separated from the rest of the house by a breezeway, as was done at the time the house was built. Additional bedrooms would be in the same area as the kitchen.
You mean like the ground floor and the attic? Or rooms in the basement? Because on that particular house, that would leave very little room for windows... That could make for an epic cinema or a man-cave though.

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 04, 2018, 05:52:38 PM
He'd need to, wouldn't he? What with our automotive carnage to sort out??
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 04, 2018, 02:48:58 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 04, 2018, 09:57:58 AM

FE 100-400mm G Master super-telephoto zoom lens

I just looked at some reviews, and it certainly looks like a great lens. Are getting one for your birthday, or do you own one?
Neither :( Just drooling for the moment.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Asmodean on April 04, 2018, 05:55:50 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 04, 2018, 05:51:50 PM
You mean like the ground floor and the attic? Or rooms in the basement? Because on that particular house, that would leave very little room for windows... That could make for an epic cinema or a man-cave though.

He'd need to, wouldn't he? What with our automotive carnage to sort out??

The house I was talking about is in the same style but a bit bigger. The photo was just the closest original ex ample I could find. Also, the "attics" in these houses are rooms just like any other. They were a bit cramped but a space efficient design. Large windows would go on the south facing vertical wall with a lattice for ivy to keep the worst of the summer heat at bay.

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on April 04, 2018, 06:02:18 PM
The house I was talking about is in the same style but a bit bigger. The photo was just the closest original ex ample I could find. Also, the "attics" in these houses are rooms just like any other. They were a bit cramped but a space efficient design. Large windows would go on the south facing vertical wall with a lattice for ivy to keep the worst of the summer heat at bay.
Ah! To be honest, even though it was sporting Norwegian plates, that car pic was not of my Omega either  :P

What does one call them attics with that particular roof style though? Is it still an attic, or is it like... Second floor? In any case, it seems like a very nice dream home. I rented a place not too unlike that some years ago. Fjord view, a small garden, a deck for fishing and stuff... It was great. I do miss Sørlandet.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

I'd just call it upstairs.

hermes2015

Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman. I love it so much that I cannot part with it; it has travelled from Paris to Beirut to Johannesburg with me.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

They are beautiful and embody the principle of "form follows function".
― Charles Eames