News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Teen Sex: The Holy vs Humanistic Approach

Started by Sophus, August 05, 2010, 05:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

I'm not at the point of parenthood where this is applicable yet but I found this to be a very good article on the psychology behind the two approaches: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/201008/teen-sex-the-holy-vs-humanistic-approach-co-authored-david-niose
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Kylyssa

This is a great editorial.  I'm always mystified as to why people who are against pre-marital sex abhor sex education when comprehensive, science-based sex education is shown to increase the age at which people first have intercourse.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

elliebean

[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

skwurll

Try again, it's working for me.

*Edit with an opinion on the issue

My opinion is that pre-marital sex is okay as long as each partner has considered the ramifications of the action. I think that contraceptives need to be made more available to teens also, because if they're going to have sex, it might as well be safe.
I really don't see why there is such a stigma on pre-marital sex, disregarding religion's view of it as sin, there is nothing wrong with it.

Personally I'm still a virgin, I've had a few opportunities but it always seems, for lack of a better word, obligatory.
The women I've "had opportunities with" are so eager to jump into bed before they even know how they feel. People these days throw around the word love too carelessly. I can honestly say I do not feel love for more than a few people, and to them its more a form of loyalty than affection.

To hear them say they love me just seems like a mockery. I want to throw the words back at them, I've seen the same love professed for a previous boyfriend, but it always turns into hate eventually.

Sorry if I got off topic, I needed to get that out.

Tank

Got it now. Worth a read. Didn't say much I didn't already agree with but it was nice to see a well structured documentation of my thoughts seen through somebody else's eyes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KebertX

Marriage is a very far-off line to draw for when it's okay to have sex. Teens aren't going to stick to that, especially not today, when society is more impatient than ever.  So if you teach them abstinence is their only option, they don't know what to do other than just five up.  They'd rather just say "Fuck it!" and... Well... Fuck it.

This isn't that relevant, but I think it exemplifies the difference between the way humanists and theists try to teach people morals.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20100605.gif
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.