News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Happy Atheist Chat Room

Started by Whitney, June 21, 2008, 11:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

I have created a chat room called "Happy Atheist" on a chat client called Pal Talk.  You may find the PalTalk Happy Atheist group at the following url:  http://chat.paltalk.com/g2/group/115709 ... Loader.wmt

EDIT:  mac users and those that do not want to download something; use this:
http://www.paltalk.com/express/

I haven't managed to get it to work yet but if the room is open you are supposed to be able to access it through the above link.  However, the easiest way to access the room is to load Pal Talk onto your computer then go to All Rooms>Religion & Spirituality>Atheism>Happy Atheist  There are also many other fine rooms in that section where you can interact with fellow free-thinkers and debate religion.

The reason I am going with this approach instead of an integrated chat system:  1) The java based one I tried before (a long time ago) didn't work very well  2)Since it is part of a large network of chat rooms there will be a greater chance of the chat room being active when you log in. edit: 3) It has voice chat in addition to text chat.

Note:  Unless an admin is in the chat room the room will not show up on the rooms list.  Fix, anyone that has been a member here for a while will be given admin status in the chat room upon request; send me a pm through the forum or through pal talk.  If using a name other than your sn here, let me know your pal talk sn.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I have created a chat room called "Happy Atheist" on a chat client called Pal Talk.  You may find the PalTalk Happy Atheist group at the following url:  http://chat.paltalk.com/g2/group/115709 ... Loader.wmt

I haven't managed to get it to work yet but if the room is open you are supposed to be able to access it through the above link.  However, the easiest way to access the room is to load Pal Talk onto your computer then go to All Rooms>Religion & Spirituality>Atheism>Happy Atheist  There are also many other fine rooms in that section where you can interact with fellow free-thinkers and debate religion.

The reason I am going with this approach instead of an integrated chat system:  1) The java based one I tried before (a long time ago) didn't work very well  2)Since it is part of a large network of chat rooms there will be a greater chance of the chat room being active when you log in. edit: 3) It has voice chat in addition to text chat.

Note:  Unless an admin is in the chat room the room will not show up on the rooms list.  Fix, anyone that has been a member here for a while will be given admin status in the chat room upon request; send me a pm through the forum or through pal talk.  If using a name other than your sn here, let me know your pal talk sn.

You might want to look into Stickam chat.It is alot easier to set up a account on there.And you can block users if need be.Also have voice and video it's all free.And you can setup a password.I believe (it's been a couple of months since I've been on) that you can have 8 webcams running all at one time.It seems to be alittle more friendly for those without dsl or cable to.

Will

The application is a .exe, so I (a Mac user) cannot join. How about IRC? Or maybe a shoutbox built into the forum?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Quote from: "Willravel"The application is a .exe, so I (a Mac user) cannot join. How about IRC? Or maybe a shoutbox built into the forum?

I tried looking for a phpbb3 mod for a simple shoutbox today and couldn't find one.  I am continuting to look though.

Quote from: "afreethinker30"You might want to look into Stickam chat.It is alot easier to set up a account on there.And you can block users if need be.Also have voice and video it's all free.And you can setup a password.I believe (it's been a couple of months since I've been on) that you can have 8 webcams running all at one time.It seems to be alittle more friendly for those without dsl or cable to.

I'll look into it...the main reason I used pal talk is that I use it anyway.  It does allow for blocking users...it's not so great for cams unless you pay for an account (which I do not).

Whitney

I don't like that with stickcam that it not only appears to be messing with my mic (worked find until I added it to the op area) but that I have to be personally signed in for it to work.  With pal talk (although not good for mac users) only one of you would have to be present with admin code in hand.

Will

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "Willravel"The application is a .exe, so I (a Mac user) cannot join. How about IRC? Or maybe a shoutbox built into the forum?

I tried looking for a phpbb3 mod for a simple shoutbox today and couldn't find one.  I am continuting to look though.
Does this look legitimate:
http://www.110mb.com/forum/guide-add-sh ... 862.0.html
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

stickam doesn't like my mic and has a hard time picking up if I am live or not.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Willravel"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"

Does this look legitimate:
http://www.110mb.com/forum/guide-add-sh ... 862.0.html

How about an independent chat software that does not have to do anything with the forums? As long as you can create another database, that shouldn't be a problem. Although such software would hog some bandwidth if used a lot.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

Quote from: "Asmodean"How about an independent chat software that does not have to do anything with the forums? As long as you can create another database, that shouldn't be a problem. Although such software would hog some bandwidth if used a lot.

I could set one up on one of my free hosting sites...then if it did exceed bandwith it wouldn't matter.  See my post above about the express pal talk...i think that fixes some of the concerns.

afreethinker30

Skype might just work then.It is somewhat like Paltalk but you have to add other users then have one start a chat.It can be a pain but it is for both Windows and Mac.

Whitney

I have updated the OP to include a link for those who either can't or do not want to dowload a program.

Asmodean

Quote from: "laetusatheos"go to All Rooms>Religion & Spirituality>Atheism>Happy Atheist

It seems strangely... not there...  :unsure:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"go to All Rooms>Religion & Spirituality>Atheism>Happy Atheist

It seems strangely... not there...  :unsure:

Ya, that's because I am not signed in...you have to have at least one admin signed in for it to appear on the list.

I'll send you a pm with the admin code and how to use it.

Whitney

http://client11.addonchat.com/sc.php?id=320343

Try this out....if we like it I will embed it into the website this weekend.   Free integrated options for phpbb3 are still in development so I want to wait on installing those.  This approach is a no risk to the forum way to see if members will use chat or not.

To log in just type your user name and enter...please use the same user name as you use on this site so we will know who we are talking to.  Guests can use this chat.

Btw, the professional edition of this chat client is only 80 a year and can be integrated into phpbb3.  If it is something we want to do I might ask for a small donation at a later date...for now, I'm just letting you know it is an option.

Whitney

If anyone is on pal talk, just a reminder that we also have a chat room there it's called Happy Atheist Civil Debate right now:  http://chat.paltalk.com/g2/paltalk/1116985003