News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Recommendations

Started by Tank, November 14, 2019, 08:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Netflix

Altered Carbon. SciFi
Daybreak. Post apocalypse American teenage angst with sort of zombies (better than it sounds)
Happy. Dark humour
The Good Place. Post death comedy
The King. Medieval historical drama
Stranger Things. Teen horror SciFi
Love Death + Robots. A collection of animated SciFi shorts.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Not new (2008), but still worth watching.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Davin

Not by NetFlix, but on it.

Halt and Catch Fire - This drama follows four people trying to find success in the technology field from the late 70s to the 90s.
40 episodes over 4 seasons.

The IT Crowd - A comedy featuring two men who are the IT department for a company who get a new boss who knows nothing about technology.
24 episodes over 4 seasons plus one final episode.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 14, 2019, 09:59:31 AM
Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Not new (2008), but still worth watching.

Get's my vote too.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Davin on November 14, 2019, 02:36:53 PM

Halt and Catch Fire - This drama follows four people trying to find success in the technology field from the late 70s to the 90s.

The IT Crowd - A comedy featuring two men who are the IT department for a company who get a new boss who knows nothing about technology.

My bad. I meant on Netflix.

Watched the IT Crowd when it first came out. Always good for a laugh :D

Siz

Quote from: Tank on November 14, 2019, 08:30:12 AM
Netflix

Altered Carbon. SciFi
Daybreak. Post apocalypse American teenage angst with sort of zombies (better than it sounds)
Happy. Dark humour

I had higher hopes for Altered Carbon. It was OK, with some nice ideas - worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing - but it lacked the WOW factor for me that something like Ex Machina supplies. It was a bit '20th Century sensibilities cast in a future landscape' which always frustrates me. I know it's got to be relateable, but I like my future to be... futuristic. And my post-humans to be post-human.

Stranger Things first series was good.

The Good Place - who the fuck is that lame hispanic-looking guy - SUCH a poor actor. Otherwise, gently amusing enough.

Tell me more about Love, Death and Robots.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Siz on November 14, 2019, 03:05:52 PM
Netflix

Altered Carbon. SciFi
Happy. Dark humour

I had higher hopes for Altered Carbon. It was OK, with some nice ideas - worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing - but it lacked the WOW factor for me that something like Ex Machina supplies. It was a bit '20th Century sensibilities cast in a future landscape' which always frustrates me. I know it's got to be relateable, but I like my future to be... futuristic.

Stranger Things first series was good.

The Good Place - who the fuck is that lame hispanic-looking guy - SUCH a poor actor. Otherwise, gently amusing enough.

Tell me more about Love, Death and Robots.

How do you know he's a poor actor? He may be a brilliant actor playing a singularly dumb character?

Love Death + Robots are 15 unrelated short animated stories about robots. Just like a collection of short stories in a book.

Siz

How do you know he's a poor actor? He may be a brilliant actor playing a singularly dumb character?

Yes, definitely a dumb character, of course, but that's an entirely different thing from being a poor actor.  There are plenty of well-executed dumb characters on TV (Red Dwarf springs immediately to mind) - he just isn't one of them. Anyway, just my £0.02...

Might check out Love, Death and Robots.
Did you see/enjoy any of the Black Mirror series?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Davin

Quote from: Tank on November 14, 2019, 03:03:44 PM

I think most of your recommendations are by NetFlix as well as on it.
I wasn't commenting on your stuff, I only meant to clarify my recommendations.

IT crowd has a lot of good stuff, I still like re-watching it from time to time. I've watched all the way through both of my recommendations several times.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Siz on November 14, 2019, 04:15:20 PM

Yes, definitely a dumb character, of course, but that's an entirely different thing from being a poor actor.  There are plenty of well-executed dumb characters on TV (Red Dwarf springs immediately to mind) - he just isn't one of them. Anyway, just my £0.02...

Yes. Loved it!

Tank

Quote from: Davin on November 14, 2019, 05:19:30 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 14, 2019, 03:03:44 PM

I think most of your recommendations are by NetFlix as well as on it.
I wasn't commenting on your stuff, I only meant to clarify my recommendations.

IT crowd has a lot of good stuff, I still like re-watching it from time to time. I've watched all the way through both of my recommendations several times.

Definitely going to check out Halt and catch fire.

Siz

Quote from: Tank on November 14, 2019, 05:33:41 PM
Quote from: Siz on November 14, 2019, 04:15:20 PM

Yes. Loved it!
Just seen the first three episodes of L, D & R. Glad I didn't sit down with the kids...
The CGI is pretty decent. For one of the episodes, it worked really well as a slightly real/unreal ambiance that perfectly suited the 'simulation' storyline.

These take us somewhat beyond the near-future scope of Black Mirror, and as such, don't quite grab you by the balls as much.

However, I'll definitely be watching more...

xSilverPhinx

I watched 'The King' this yesterday and enjoyed it very much.

Spolier alert!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 14, 2019, 08:56:19 PM
I watched 'The King' this yesterday and enjoyed it very much.

Spolier alert!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

It's a bit of a faction movie but quite the most apparently realistic depiction of the warfare of the period.