News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Discussão em português

Started by Tank, May 06, 2019, 01:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 07, 2019, 11:16:23 PM
Yes, I don't want to accidentally refer to any fecal fruits so I'll drill the accents. You know what they say - drillers are killers.

:snicker: :thumbsup:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Well, all I can say is pasteis de nata.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Obrigada vs obrigado, I'm guessing it's a matter of formality rather than personal preference? Friends get the familiar form while superiors get the formal form?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on May 08, 2019, 02:54:18 PM
Obrigada vs obrigado, I'm guessing it's a matter of formality rather than personal preference? Friends get the familiar form while superiors get the formal form?

It sounds like a sex thing.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Hermes is right, in standard Portuguese women in general say 'obrigada' and men, 'obrigado'. Though usually most people say the masculine form.

jumbojak

I'll have to keep that in mind during lessons. The app seems to consider one form to be "thanks" while the other "thank you" interesting.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 08, 2019, 05:21:42 AM

:grin: I know what pasteis are but never heard of that variety before.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 08, 2019, 10:39:50 PM

Go out and buy some immediately! They are absolutely delicious Portuguese custard pies.
https://spanishsabores.com/2018/10/02/pasteis-de-nata-story-behind-classic-portuguese-pastries/
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 08, 2019, 10:47:32 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 08, 2019, 10:39:50 PM

Go out and buy some immediately! They are absolutely delicious Portuguese custard pies.
https://spanishsabores.com/2018/10/02/pasteis-de-nata-story-behind-classic-portuguese-pastries/

The Portuguese sure know how to make sweets! Whenever I would visit my great aunt's house we would stuff ourselves with the Portuguese food she made until it was physically impossible.

jumbojak

What sort of baked goods are found in Brazil?

xSilverPhinx

There are all sorts of pastries and stuff but besides cheese bread puffs (pão de queijo) I don't know which ones are typically Brazilian. :notsure:

jumbojak

I slacked off this morning and didn't practice at all. Hopefully I get a little in before class. I have started leaving little notes in Portuguese around the place...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 09, 2019, 06:54:45 PM
...I have started leaving little notes in Portuguese around the place...

That's actually a good learning strategy I think. When I was studying for my Master's entrance exam I would do the same for my notes on neuroanatomy. Every day I would look at them until I knew them inside out.

jumbojak

Oh, these aren't study notes. I've been translating signs at work and replacing the English versions. I get bored easily.