News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Irish Police Investigating Mr. Fry

Started by Recusant, May 07, 2017, 10:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Though the UK has effectively done away with its blasphemy laws, they are still on the books in the Republic of Ireland, notwithstanding plans to hold a referendum on them in the near future. Under those laws, Stephen Fry is being investigated for comments he made on RTE (Irish public service) television in 2015. There is a possibility that the person who reported this to the police may actually have been attempting to ensure that should a referendum be held, it would result in the law being struck down.

"Explainer: Why is Stephen Fry being investigated by gardaí for blasphemy and what happens next?" | Independent.ie

QuoteIn February 2015, RTE broadcast an interview by Gay Byrne with Mr Fry for 'The Meaning of Life'.

During the show the comedian and writer was questioned about what he might say to God at the "pearly gates".

Mr Fry, an atheist, replied: "How dare you create a world in which there is such misery? It's not our fault? It's not right. It's utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?"

He went on to say that if he was met by the Greek gods he would accept them quicker because, "they didn't present themselves as being all seeing, all wise, all beneficent."

He added: "Because the god who created this universe, if it was created by god, is quite clearly a maniac, an utter maniac, totally selfish.

"We have to spend our lives on our knees thanking him. What kind of god would do that?"

[. . .]

That month a member of the public walked into Ennis Garda station in Co Clare where he told gardaí that he wanted to report a crime.

He told Independent.ie: "I told the Garda I wanted to report Fry for uttering blasphemy and RTE for publishing/broadcasting it and that I believed these were criminal offences under the Defamation Act 2009.

"The garda then took a formal written statement from me in which I quoted Fry's comments in detail. This written statement mentioned both Fry and RTÉ specifically."

He said he was asked by the garda if he had been personally offended by the programme and If he wished to include this in the written statement.

"I told the Garda that I did not want to include this as I had not personally been offended by Fry's comments - I added that I simply believed that the comments made by Fry on RTÉ were criminal blasphemy and that  I was doing my civic duty by reporting a crime."

[Continues . . .]

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Laws to protect thin-skinned churches and people are so absurd in this day and age. What a way to silence dissenters.  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

It looks like Ireland's been taking lessons in "how to embarrass your country in one easy step".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

Don't hurt god's feelings, he's only all powerful and all knowing, so the god hasn't heard worse and can't do anything about it itself.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

I am so pleased this has happened. I hope it goes all the way to court. I can't wait to hear him shred the prosecution case. Can you imagine it! I'd pay to see that. Wonderful news indeed.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 08, 2017, 09:07:27 PM
I am so pleased this has happened. I hope it goes all the way to court. I can't wait to hear him shred the prosecution case. Can you imagine it! I'd pay to see that. Wonderful news indeed.
But all the logic, rationality and eloquence in tbe world may be seen no defence against any bias in the legal system if the culture you are accused offending. Rather there is a chance of being found in contempt.

But I feel sure Mr Fry will find the right words for any sensible judge and jury. Then again . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on May 08, 2017, 09:50:43 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 08, 2017, 09:07:27 PM
But all the logic, rationality and eloquence in tbe world may be seen no defence against any bias in the legal system if the culture you are accused offending. Rather there is a chance of being found in contempt.

But I feel sure Mr Fry will find the right words for any sensible judge and jury. Then again . . .
I think he'd slaughter them. He could pay a fine out of petty cash and wear the conviction with pride. I bet he can't wait.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

I don't think the Irish blasphemy law will be around long. The Irish government has been scratching its ass considering a referendum to eliminate it for years (the Irish Constitution would have to be changed, and that's the process by which it would be done). This ridiculous story may finally light a fire under them.

Meanwhile from The Independent; "Stephen Fry's blasphemy probe dropped after Irish police fail to find 'enough outraged people'".
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Tom62

A pity that he didn't insult Allah. Now that would have generated far more interesting reactions ;).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2017, 06:46:23 AM
Blasphemy = Theistic butt hurt
I often think most reliogionistas take it as a personal affront, "Mock my beliefs and you mock me!"
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Or "my beliefs are so vulnerable that they can't stand to be mocked."

Davin

Well, it looks like the Irish Government might want to keep the law around to bully smaller fish.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/stephen-fry-blasphemy-ireland-probe-investigation-dropped-police-gardai-not-enough-outrage-a7725116.html
QuoteAn Irish police investigation into allegedly blasphemous comments made by Stephen Fry has been dropped after detectives decided there were not enough people who had been outraged by the remarks.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on May 09, 2017, 02:35:28 PM
Well, it looks like the Irish Government might want to keep the law around to bully smaller fish.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/stephen-fry-blasphemy-ireland-probe-investigation-dropped-police-gardai-not-enough-outrage-a7725116.html
QuoteAn Irish police investigation into allegedly blasphemous comments made by Stephen Fry has been dropped after detectives decided there were not enough people who had been outraged by the remarks.
I agree. I hope he blasphemes a lot more!