News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Quote from: joeactor on December 25, 2015, 02:58:20 PM
Quote from: Firebird on December 25, 2015, 07:12:28 AM
Quote from: joeactor on December 25, 2015, 05:57:22 AM

There is no way Kylo is the son of Han and Leia. Just genetically impossible.

Why?

His hair, skin tone, build, facial features - None of it looks like he's their kid.
... unless your midiclorians change all that when you turn ;-)

Hey, if they can cause virgin impregnation , anything is possible  ;)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Siz

Just saw it today. Empire Strikes Back much?!

I'm really quite disappointed at the unoriginality of the story - taken directly from ESB. Characterisation was cursory. I liked the idea of the power struggle between Kylo and the (cartoonishly fascist) general (or whatever he was) but like so much in this movie was shallowly explored.

Kylo was weedy and useless and would never have attained his position on his own merits. Fin was straight out of any one of a million US action movies, as was Pau.

Rae was delightful and convincing. Her stupid little robot was inane. Han, hamish. Chewy played no other role than a comedy backboard.

The space action scenes were unimaginatively choreographed.

OK, let's find the positives - Rae, a standout character (and actress), Luke, brief, but cool. Leia, understated and nicely matriarchal, but I'd like to have seen her more 'at work'.
The yoda-replacement bar-owner was likeable but predictable. The sets were excellent.

Overall 5/10. Other than to find out where Rae came from and whether Luke can bring some storyline I'm not overly excited by the prospect of the next one...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Pasta Chick

The next movie will make or break this one. So much of this -could- just be set up, or it -could- be crappy stereotypes in a shallow, unimaginative action flick. It's up to Abrahms to pull through with background and character development in the sequel.

I totally agree Kylo looks nothing like Han or Leia though!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 31, 2015, 06:11:11 PM
I totally agree Kylo looks nothing like Han or Leia though!

Me too.  :smilenod:

Maybe we find out that all of Kylo's rage stems from him finding out that he is adopted. A future installment could be called: Star Wars: The Cliché.  :cracked:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

So... Was the latest movie any good? And by that, I mean good-good, not just expensive?

Should one have seen most of the previous movies to have a chance of getting the story?

I might see it one day, you see, so some recon is nice before I commit two hours of my life  8)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

I thought it was a pretty good movie. In terms of quality, I'd put it between V and VI sitting right about where IV is. Though my favorite is still VI, even with the Ewoks. The Darth Vader Vs. Luke Skywalker fight in front of the Emperor is my favorite part(s).
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

I'm not sure I saw either of the ones you mentioned. But you would give it a four-or-above die cast, no?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

It's hard to imagine seeing it with no Star Wars background. It would certainly make sense. Might even be really interesting, as you'd essentially be seeing the universe through Rae's perspective. if you didn't like Star Wars it won't be any good.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Siz on December 30, 2015, 05:22:30 PM
Just saw it today. Empire Strikes Back much?!

I'm really quite disappointed at the unoriginality of the story - taken directly from ESB. Characterisation was cursory. I liked the idea of the power struggle between Kylo and the (cartoonishly fascist) general (or whatever he was) but like so much in this movie was shallowly explored.

Kylo was weedy and useless and would never have attained his position on his own merits. Fin was straight out of any one of a million US action movies, as was Pau.

Rae was delightful and convincing. Her stupid little robot was inane. Han, hamish. Chewy played no other role than a comedy backboard.

The space action scenes were unimaginatively choreographed.

OK, let's find the positives - Rae, a standout character (and actress), Luke, brief, but cool. Leia, understated and nicely matriarchal, but I'd like to have seen her more 'at work'.
The yoda-replacement bar-owner was likeable but predictable. The sets were excellent.

Overall 5/10. Other than to find out where Rae came from and whether Luke can bring some storyline I'm not overly excited by the prospect of the next one...

I saw this back during holiday, actually we were going to the theatre to see Joy, but it was sold out and as Stars Wars was showing in like 5 different theaters we ended up having to see this.

My take on this closely mirrors yours Siz which is why I quoted you...plus for me, there were too many remarkable concurrences of events in this movie, first BB-8 escapes and is found by Rey, (I'm also curious how this robot rolls on sand?) then Rey encounters Finn
and they team up, find the Millennium Falcon which is just sitting in a junk yard on this strange desert planet, somehow this spacecraft is still not only operational, but apparently fairly simple to operate. Then once in space they just happen to come across the Millennium Falcon's previous owner (Sort of like hitting the Powerball) who also happens to be the infamous Han Solo and the Walking Carpet.

I'm not a big Harrison Ford fan, I thought his acting in the first Star Wars was horrible, though I did enjoy his Indian Jones movies, well the first two...anyway I was expecting a huge, dramatic, tear-jerking scene to take place on the bridge between him and Kylo, but it was very anti-clamatic for me. I like Adam Driver, but not sure he was right choice for this role.

I think Rey is either related to Obi Wan Kenobi or maybe Yoda...

It was okay for me, better than the prequels, and fairly close to the original movie...I'm more into Science Fiction than Science Fantasy so I'm not that big of a fan (Its more or less an interstellar soap opera right?).

Probably worth it to see it on the big screen rather than wait to watch it at home on your tv or laptop...it was refreshing not to be overloaded with CGI stuff...I really liked Rey in this movie, a lot, in fact without her I would have been bored...really love her character and thought Daisy portrayed her quite well.

I'll give it 3 digits out of 5.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Pasta Chick

I'm certain there will be some over complex, nerdy explanation for BB-8's sand rolling ability. Most likely some sort of small repulsorlift. If there isn't already. That would make for really dull story line in the movie, though.

The explanation given for the remarkable coincidences in the Falcon is that She was stolen from Han and pawned off repeatedly, although never particularly well hidden. Han was tracking her already. The storm troopers on Jakku reported the escape, and not being well hidden, it was also easy for the First Order to track her down. I don't believe she is easy to pilot, that's supposed to be part of Rey's extraordinary abilities.

I'd just have preferred they use the well established desert planet full of scumbag gangsters rather than create an identical one for this movie. Going back to Tatooine would be cheesy too, I'd really have preferred a new planet altogether.

Biggus Dickus

I came across this today and thought it was really cute stuff.

Star Wars combined with Winnie the Pooh.  8)

Chewbacca is Pooh, RD32 is Piglet, an Imperial Walker is Eeyore, and Han Solo is Christopher Robin.

Florida based illustrator and artist James Hance just combined Star Wars with Winnie the Pooh. Titled "Wookie the Chew," Hance's illustrations reimagine Chewbacca as Pooh Bear and Eeyore as an Imperial Walker, along other crossovers.
But that's not all. Hance has also just released an audio book of the story! Be sure to check out his website to see more of his work, or Etsy, where you can buy some of these unique, "Wookie the Chew" prints.

You can see more pictures here, or go to the artist's website to see more of his work.

joeactor

Biggus Dickus

Pasta Chick

Hahaha! I saw that on Facebook too - it's amazing.