News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Public Displays of Affection (PDA)

Started by Mocha Chief, February 04, 2012, 05:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 07, 2012, 01:08:37 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 06, 2012, 05:26:53 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on February 06, 2012, 05:23:24 PM
Better to ride an elevator with a happy-seeming couple sucking faces than with a bunch of people who try not to look at each other while wearing long-suffering expressions.
But their suffering gives me strength!
I'm a weirdo who actually enjoys the long akward silences in elevators.
It's only irritating when out of nowhere the person gets off with a "have a nice day! :) " and i'm like "wtf...??"

I'm fine with uncomfortable silences too, not good with the talking.  But I am tempted, when somebody says "have a nice day!" to say "up yours!" in the same friendly tone.

I'm one of those people you'd say 'up yours' to, then.  :P If I run into a stranger in public who looks friendly, I'm liable to make small talk, comment on the weather, or just sincerely wish them a great day. I never mean anything odd by it, other than hoping that the person I'm standing next to actually has a decent day. Can I ask you why it annoys you? Most people saying it would probably mean it sincerely, so I dunno.  :) If someone says it to me, I just say 'thanks, you too!'

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on February 07, 2012, 02:21:50 AM
I'm one of those people you'd say 'up yours' to, then.  :P If I run into a stranger in public who looks friendly, I'm liable to make small talk, comment on the weather, or just sincerely wish them a great day. I never mean anything odd by it, other than hoping that the person I'm standing next to actually has a decent day. Can I ask you why it annoys you? Most people saying it would probably mean it sincerely, so I dunno.  :) If someone says it to me, I just say 'thanks, you too!'

I honestly don't know why it brings out a hostile reaction in me, and it's not because I'm one of those people who thinks they're being told what to do or how to feel -- I know I'm not being given instructions of any kind, I know the other person is just being friendly, but it grates.  In any case, you probably wouldn't say it to me because I doubt I'd look friendly enough for it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dobermonster

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 07, 2012, 04:49:17 AM
Quote from: Amicale on February 07, 2012, 02:21:50 AM

I'm one of those people you'd say 'up yours' to, then.  :P If I run into a stranger in public who looks friendly, I'm liable to make small talk, comment on the weather, or just sincerely wish them a great day. I never mean anything odd by it, other than hoping that the person I'm standing next to actually has a decent day. Can I ask you why it annoys you? Most people saying it would probably mean it sincerely, so I dunno.  :) If someone says it to me, I just say 'thanks, you too!'

I honestly don't know why it brings out a hostile reaction in me, and it's not because I'm one of those people who thinks they're being told what to do or how to feel -- I know I'm not being given instructions of any kind, I know the other person is just being friendly, but it grates.  In any case, you probably wouldn't say it to me because I doubt I'd look friendly enough for it.

I can relate to this kind of reaction. It has to do with the complete insincerity that usually accompanies those kinds of trite phrases. Like the "How are you?" and "Good, thanks" interactions we have every day without any real thought. I've actually taken to replying "Terrible. Yourself?" just to catch them off guard. I know it's something of an evil necessity, a kind of social lubricant that lets us ease into whatever interaction we were really trying to get to, or feel that we must say to avoid looking like a prick. But then who says we can't have a little fun with different flavors? :D

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 07, 2012, 04:49:17 AM

I honestly don't know why it brings out a hostile reaction in me, and it's not because I'm one of those people who thinks they're being told what to do or how to feel -- I know I'm not being given instructions of any kind, I know the other person is just being friendly, but it grates.  In any case, you probably wouldn't say it to me because I doubt I'd look friendly enough for it.

If you looked like this while standing on an elevator with me...

....you're right, I wouldn't wish you a nice day, I'd get the hell off the elevator ASAP.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Amicale

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 07, 2012, 05:36:53 AM

I can relate to this kind of reaction. It has to do with the complete insincerity that usually accompanies those kinds of trite phrases. Like the "How are you?" and "Good, thanks" interactions we have every day without any real thought. I've actually taken to replying "Terrible. Yourself?" just to catch them off guard. I know it's something of an evil necessity, a kind of social lubricant that lets us ease into whatever interaction we were really trying to get to, or feel that we must say to avoid looking like a prick. But then who says we can't have a little fun with different flavors? :D

I've worked with the public generally for years in a variety of different roles, including education, home care, and customer service. While it's true that on a really tired, busy, crazy day you MIGHT ask someone 'how are you?' just because it's the role you're in/your job to welcome them.... generally speaking, if I ask someone "how are you?" I mean it. I've had people like you answer "terrible. You?", and if at all possible, I take the time to actually ask them why they're doing terribly and if they'd like to talk about it -- if they don't want to, I wish them well and sincerely tell them I hope things go a lot better. So if you did that to catch me off guard or throw me off, I'd probably catch YOU off guard.  ;D

Although, sometimes when someone asks me how I am, I DO also definitely have a little fun with different flavours. Among my favourite answers are "still above room temperature!", "still on this side of the soil!" and "the voices in my head tell me I'm doing great!".... and then I wait for the reactions!

Sandra Craft

[I can relate to this kind of reaction. It has to do with the complete insincerity that usually accompanies those kinds of trite phrases.

When I thought about it more, the thing that grated on me was a sense that the person speaking was smug or mocking.  I can't imagine Amicale speaking in that tone of voice, so perhaps I'd just respond to her with a watery smile.

Quote from: Amicale on February 07, 2012, 05:39:08 AM
If you looked like this while standing on an elevator with me...

....you're right, I wouldn't wish you a nice day, I'd get the hell off the elevator ASAP.  :D

That does rather resemble me on one of my moody days.

Quote from: Amicale on February 07, 2012, 05:44:35 AM
Although, sometimes when someone asks me how I am, I DO also definitely have a little fun with different flavours. Among my favourite answers are "still above room temperature!", "still on this side of the soil!" and "the voices in my head tell me I'm doing great!".... and then I wait for the reactions!

I've occasionally given the "terrible" response to "how are you?" and gotten "that's great" in reply.  I'm not sure if they meant it was great or just weren't listening.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dobermonster

Quote from: Amicale on February 07, 2012, 05:44:35 AM

I've worked with the public generally for years in a variety of different roles, including education, home care, and customer service. While it's true that on a really tired, busy, crazy day you MIGHT ask someone 'how are you?' just because it's the role you're in/your job to welcome them.... generally speaking, if I ask someone "how are you?" I mean it. I've had people like you answer "terrible. You?", and if at all possible, I take the time to actually ask them why they're doing terribly and if they'd like to talk about it -- if they don't want to, I wish them well and sincerely tell them I hope things go a lot better. So if you did that to catch me off guard or throw me off, I'd probably catch YOU off guard.  ;D

Don't get me wrong, I know there are people who ask the question genuinely. Being a nurse, it's literally my job to do that. And I do recognize the people who respond to "Terrible" with sincere interest or concern. However - and maybe it's an unfortunate side effect of Canadian uber-politeness - my observation is that the majority of askers don't. Of course I'm guilty of being trite from time to time - the social lube is a slippery slope.

(Jots down your answers for future use)  ;D

Tank

This PDA discussion appears to have taken on a life of its own so I split it off.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

It's okay Amicale.  You can come to Denver and make small talk with me.  I usually don't initiate small talk with strangers, but I'm happy enough to chat with people if they start talking to me.  I'm friendly looking too; I almost always try to smile at people when I make eye contact with them. 

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Mocha Chief

I thought someone hacked my account and started this thread.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on February 07, 2012, 04:24:35 PM
Quote from: Amicale on February 07, 2012, 05:39:08 AM

:o Where can get?!

Mate a cat with a chupacabra.

I just advise that you do so very, very carefully...  :D

Now, that's one public display of affection I don't think I'd want to see...

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.