News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Athiests, would you marry a religious person?

Started by jduster, October 24, 2010, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

You sure you aren't my long lost brother, ThinkAnarchy? <3

We totally think alike. I love my girlfriend very much, so I explained my views on marriage, and she pretty much understands.

I hate how the goverment controls it.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 07, 2011, 03:48:40 AM
You sure you aren't my long lost brother, ThinkAnarchy? <3

We totally think alike. I love my girlfriend very much, so I explained my views on marriage, and she pretty much understands.

I hate how the goverment controls it.

I doubt it, I love my meat products.  :P

I think my g/f and I came to the conclusion together. The more we discussed it, the more we realized we didn't like or agree with the idea.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sweetdeath

Hehe, I have nothing against meat eaters. ^_^

Aw, that's great though! You know, I was really scared we'd break up because of marriage views, but it's all good.

I find it pathetic when a couple breaks up after so and so years due to one person not wanting marriage. It's not even a commitment issue, because I want no one in the world more than my girlfriend.

I think most people get married because of social pressure due to religious brainwashing.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Davin

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 07, 2011, 02:21:15 AM
@Davin: Yeah, that was pretty much the excusr my girlfriend came up with. Though I heard you can make a living will via the hospital without marriage.
Living will's have yet to stand up well against family wishes, which is the problem. Even an organ donor's wishes can be vetoed by family. So until there is enough legal precedence to ensure the wishes of the person are retained in the event that they are rendered unable to make decisions, marraige really is the better way. Not to mention visitation rights, I couldn't imagine only being able to be there for my partner a few hours a day while she was extremely ill.

So yeah, you should make a living will, just understand that the legal precedence is for the spouses wishes then the families wishes then the persons wishes as stated in the living will to be followed if it gets brought before a judge. The other problems are if the thing that happens is not clearly outlined in a living will, there isn't even a fight to be fought, the family gets the say, unless there is a spouse. So make sure it's detailed and covers everything.

Quote from: SweetdeathI'm sorry to hear about your brother's wife. Glad she's alright. What kind of sick people would let their own daughter die?
JWs. Several times a year there is a case where parents let their child die due to them refusing a simple and very safe medical procedure. To them it's more important to save the soul than the body... so while they're making a poor decision, it's not like they don't love their children. Which is one reason I think that faith and beliefs are dangerous. End tangent.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

original_gender

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on October 25, 2010, 04:37:23 AM
He's no good around the house, worse than useless when that storm hit the back room.

I like how this hypothetical lout has been gifted specific shortcomings.  ;D

---

Of course I would marry a religious person – what a psychological playground!

Christian women are obliged by scripture to completely submit to their husbands. By not subscribing to my godless belief system, they would be making the lifelong decision to disobey the laws of scripture (to accept Christ, one's intentions must be pure; if one makes the conscious decision to sin their entire life, they veto their invitation to the chocolate factory), but by submitting to my belief system they would be doomed to an eternity in hell also.

They are stuck in a catch 22 from the moment you slip the ring on their finger. Passive-aggressive references to their damnation would be a great way to take out a day's worth of work related irritation.

No, but in all serious... If I ever make the marriage mistake, it will be to someone I respect and adore. I can't respect people that choose to base their lives on a desert cult's poorly written game of telephone.

kelltrill

I've only read a few of the posts in this thread, so I'm probably missed out on a shitload, but I'd still like to add my 2c.

I could never date or marry a theist. I am far too outspoken about my lack of belief and my anti-theistic ideologies for a relationship with a religious person to ever work out, and I say that for both my and my hypothetical spouse's sakes.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

Hidelight

I didn't  and couldn't it would have been too confusing to my kids ....I think anyway ...I was in a heavy relationship with a religious person before I met husband but it was over when he asked me to convert so we could get married and said "just do it now so I can tell my parents you are a Christian" I said "Nope thanks anyway bye!"

fester30

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 07, 2011, 04:34:24 AM
Hehe, I have nothing against meat eaters. ^_^

Aw, that's great though! You know, I was really scared we'd break up because of marriage views, but it's all good.

I find it pathetic when a couple breaks up after so and so years due to one person not wanting marriage. It's not even a commitment issue, because I want no one in the world more than my girlfriend.

I think most people get married because of social pressure due to religious brainwashing.

There's also the people who get married due to benefits.  I knew I wanted to stay with my wife for the rest of my life, and I wanted her to be covered under my health care.  That alone was worth it to me because of the cost savings over paying for her health care or her getting a job with inferior health care.

Medusa

I would have said it depends. Do I like the person? Are they compatible with me? Are they cute etc... :P

I am engaged to a Muslim man. He lives in Egypt while I in California. Going to be moving out there in a few years once he's done with his medical residency and we figure out if he has to do a 3 year stint in the Egyptian Army (it's mandatory out there). We met on a Marilyn Manson forum (though Rammstein he prefers over Manson). He knows about my religion. And I've studied his religion (even participated in Ramadan) Though we talk on a daily basis, religion has not been our main discussion. When we do, we tend to go about our perspective belief systems in the same logical manner. We have that in common. I think in general we follow our beliefs in a common true fashion and with complete understanding. We respect each other and don't always agree with each other. But it's kind of nice to be able to joke on each other's religions. I call him Hassan bin laden (his name is Hassan) and he calls me  Devil worshiper. Then we lol. And we love.

But don't get me wrong. When I move to Egypt and we start a family, we will be raising them in the Muslim way of life and religion. BOTH of us have decided on that.

We will also be wearing red and black for our wedding and Sweet Dreams will be our wedding song.  ;D
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Abletony

MinnesotaMike

Well it looks like I missed the voting time frame, so I'll vote with my comment  ;)

It depends. I know my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years labels herself as Christian, and is a fan of Yahweh, but her viewpoints don't seem to sync up with those of other Christians. If she would only read the bible (like I've been nagging her to) I'm fairly convinced she would become an atheist, or at least agnostic theist. She's just another case of rational person raised in an irrational household. I intend to marry her in a few years and wouldn't refrain if she hasn't changed her viewpoint.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Tank

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on July 30, 2011, 12:26:16 AM
Well it looks like I missed the voting time frame, so I'll vote with my comment  ;)

I have taken the liberty of unlocking the poll and allowing people to change their vote so that new members can participate and people can modify their view in light of debate. I would have suggested the user do this if they had been a current active user. --- Tank
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.