News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Athiests, would you marry a religious person?

Started by jduster, October 24, 2010, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildfire_emissary

I am married to a Catholic. Why do I fall in love with former students?
Because their morality is not based on a stone-to-death penal code. :devil:
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

jduster

DropLogic

Quote from: "theantithesis"I would sooner nail my genitals to the table with a rusty railroad spike.
Which stage of stigmata is that one?

Inevitable Droid

I voted no.  I interpreted religious as meaning theistic, since that seemed the intent.  A person whose religion wasn't theistic would theoretically make sense to me as a mate, all else being conducive.

Atheism provides the springboard for important activities in my life; if curious as to one example, click the link in my sig.  No sincere theist could support these activities, and so I'd see no point in marrying her.  (It turns out I'm heterosexual.)  As for an insincere theist, her insincerity would suffice to ensure my rejection.  Bear in mind we're talking about marriage here, not casual sex, nor casual camaraderie, either of which could make sense to me with respect to a sincere theist, all else being conducive, as the unsavoriness of faith could be overlooked by simply choosing not to discuss it, a workable strategy for casual interactions.

A fundamental assumption underlying my response is that marriage needs to make sense.  I've noticed some comments by others that propose irrationality as part and parcel of any decision to marry.  I reject that.  Making sense should be a prime criterion for anything and everything we do.  I'm not suggesting we should emulate the Vulcans of Star Trek fame.  Emotion and appetite are critical factors to be weighed.  But prudence, strategy, and logical consistency are equally critical.
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

lookitsaustin

I voted most likely no. My partner of 2 years is a 6 on the Dawkins scale so it is not an issue. I couldn't date/marry a religious person because I just don't think I could honestly give them respect, I would see them as weak minded, gullible, and child-like.

EssejSllim

Quote from: "Kylyssa"
Quote from: "Asmodean"Most certainly no. The main reason being simply that I would not marry. I dislike the idea.

This is the answer for me, too.  But I also wouldn't date any religious person who is conservative or a fundamentalist.  
Agreed.
I would not marry for myself. The only way I would consider it is if it meant that much to her, in which case I would get married for her sake.
I also doubt my ability to maintain a healthy relationship with a religious person, regardless of how "fundamental" they are. The only case would be if they were really confused and looking for help, in which case I wouldn't really call them religious.
"How terrible [the theory of evolution] will be upon the nobility of the old world. Think of their being forced to trace their ancestry back tot he duke Orang Outang or the Princess Chimpanzee." -Robert Ingersoll

"What? Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man's." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Leloko

No, because I'd worry they'd try to convert me!   :P

DJAkuma

For me it's a resounding no, I really have a hard time viewing someone who is religious as also being intelligent. I have nothing against fornicating with fundies though, repressed bible thumpers can be great in the sack and are easily mainpulated

periwinklefish

:)

periwinklefish

:0

Lythande

If I was in the marriage market, and if it was the right person, their religion wouldn't even be a consideration so long as they could respect and deal with the fact that I am an atheist.  If they tried to convert me, they wouldn't be the right person, would they?
Considering the punishment for promiscuity at the time, an immaculate birth was just a good cover story.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Lythande"If I was in the marriage market, and if it was the right person, their religion wouldn't even be a consideration so long as they could respect and deal with the fact that I am an atheist.  If they tried to convert me, they wouldn't be the right person, would they?
If they didn't at least try to talk with you about God every once and while, then they wouldn't be a good human being (assuming they believed in Hell and all, and that atheists go to it).

nowisforever

the strength of our future lies in our past.

Sophus

Quote from: "nowisforever"I don't see why not.
How are you green?  :hmm:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "nowisforever"I don't see why not.
How are you green?  :hmm:
Green = new color for newbies