News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on April 04, 2020, 07:22:59 PM
You don't want to go Sinéad O'Connor?

:lol: Seriously, that thought crossed my mind, but...no. :smileshake:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on April 04, 2020, 05:06:16 PM
shoot, my routine still hasnt changed, conzidering i m essential and work alone.

i still interact with the same 8 to 10 people per day, less than 60 seconds with each one.

my family and our house guest are estivating at the house, though. ive bribed the kids to burn the dead-out beehives in front of the warehouse so i can gravel it. that will take some time as we re looking at a lot of junk

were already isolated at tbe house

Sounds like the start of a horror movie! :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

well, we are indeed pretty much out in the middle of out in the middle.

i ve lived in pretty big ciies before, london, manila, singap[ore, and so on, and i don't think ive ever been as peaceful as i am out here, just on the basis of distanc.

it's pretty hard to find us even if you want to. unless you re a fucking loose cow, and then my road is your high street

early this morning jupiter, saturn, and mars lined up in the south, so close you could cover them with one hand

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Tank

I am very fortunate in that my wife is a trained hairdresser  ;D

I have not paid for haircut since we met.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on April 05, 2020, 07:07:14 AM
I am very fortunate in that my wife is a trained hairdresser  ;D

I have not paid for haircut since we met.

Lucky! ;D

When I was a kid my mother cut my hair once. After that one time she always took me to the hairdresser's. :lol:

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Not any reason to be cheerful, just a reminder to myself and hopefully others to remember that there are also loads of good things out there.  :)

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 10, 2020, 03:01:53 AM
Not any reason to be cheerful, just a reminder to myself and hopefully others to remember that there are also loads of good things out there.  :)

I quite agree...I try not to look at any news after a certain time of the day, I think some folks are overloading on all of the terrible news they are watching or reading online all day.

I'm not saying you should avoid, or pretend none of this is happening, but you need to put it to rest after a certain point.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on April 11, 2020, 01:44:09 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 10, 2020, 03:01:53 AM

I quite agree...I try not to look at any news after a certain time of the day, I think some folks are overloading on all of the terrible news they are watching or reading online all day.

I'm not saying you should avoid, or pretend none of this is happening, but you need to put it to rest after a certain point.

Couldn't agree more. I'm also limiting the media information overflow to just the afternoon. I think it's important to know yourself, what stresses you out and causes anxiety and try and limit those triggers. For me, I get pissed off like you won't believe whenever I watch the news (because people are idiots) so I seek reliable information in other ways and less during the day than I did at first. 

So far it's made me less anxious and moody.  :) Still dreaming the weirdest nightmares, though.  ::)

xSilverPhinx

Me and some people from other labs are thinking about putting together a science communication project for the public. ;D I've arranged an online meeting between us and my supervisor, who has been doing that sort of thing for a long time and knows the ins and outs way better than we do. ;D

I really hope this project goes forward, and will do everything I can to make it so. I love that sort of stuff :grin:

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 02:28:02 AM
Me and some people from other labs are thinking about putting together a science communication project for the public. ;D I've arranged an online meeting between us and my supervisor, who has been doing that sort of thing for a long time and knows the ins and outs way better than we do. ;D

I really hope this project goes forward, and will do everything I can to make it so. I love that sort of stuff :grin:

What language will be used?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2020, 12:22:57 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 02:28:02 AM

What language will be used?

Most likely just in Portuguese, but I personally am open to the possibility of translating articles and stuff as well. However, science communication in English is way more developed than in Portuguese. There's so much more quality stuff available in English, and people producing it. For that reason I feel we can contribute more to a Portuguese-speaking audience by bridging two major gaps between ivory tower science and society: translating important findings into Portuguese (given that most of it is in inaccessible to the majority of the Brazilian population, which do not speak English) and into a concrete language laypeople will better understand. 

Number of times the word 'Portuguese' is used = 4
Number of times the word 'Portuguese' is used = 3

Portuguese wins. :grin:

billy rubin

well my wife showed me a picture of a very small baby possum. then she says:

debra saw a road kill on her road. she asked robert to do somethinh. he said, i can hear babiez in this . . .

i knew where this was going. so i said

no.

there are zix of them . . .

no.

i said wed take two. . .

no.

long story short, now we have two dogs, a dozen or two cats, a donkey, six goats, turkeys, chickens, kittens STILL in the linen closet

and now well have three (not two) orphaned possums.

i said put em in with the kittens

so maybe that will work.

dunno whether to be cheerful or not so i opted for cheerful

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."