News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Will someone please explain to me what Atheisim is all about

Started by ChristianWarrior, December 22, 2010, 02:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristianWarrior

I'm curious. There was historical evidence that Jesus Christ existed. Do you deny his existence or only his powers? Will some one please tell me what you guys believe? Thank you for your cooperation.

-ChristianWarrior

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Velma

Must say I've never seen any scientific evidence for the existence of the Jesus described in the bible.  That is part of why I am an atheist - that is why many people are atheists.  Atheism is simply lack of belief in deities - the one you apparently believe in, ChristianWarrior, or any other.

Some atheists say there may have preacher named Jesus (the name was not uncommon) at the time the Jesus of the bible is supposed to exist, but that most of what is attributed to him is made up.  However, opinions vary.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Whitney

Read this:  
For theists: What is an atheist? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=830

Quote from: "ChristianWarrior"There was scientific evidence that Jesus Christ existed.

Really...scientific evidence?  Such as?  I've heard of claimed historical evidence (which is kinda piece mealed and hard to pin down which is valid and which is fabricated) but scientific evidence is news to me.

I really don't care if Jesus existed or not, either way there is no reason to think that anything supernatural exists.

Inevitable Droid

Quote from: "Davin"Sans solipsism, I don't believe anything.

Are you saying you believe in solipsism?

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "ChristianWarrior"There was scientific evidence that Jesus Christ existed.

Really...scientific evidence?  Such as?

I eagerly await the response.  :cool:
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

Will

Quote from: "ChristianWarrior"I'm curious. There was scientific evidence that Jesus Christ existed. Do you deny his existence or only his powers? Will some one please tell me what you guys believe? Thank you for your cooperation.

-ChristianWarrior
I think you mean there is historical evidence that Jesus Christ existed, and that's hotly debated in historical circles. Many historians both professional and armature have come to the conclusion there's no reliable extra-Biblical evidence for Jesus until centuries after his supposed life.

Regarding atheism, our belief is about gods. I am an atheist, which means I am not convinced of the existence of any gods, be they Greek, Jewish, or Mormon. I feel the same way about Yahweh that I assume you feel about Thor. If there was a Jesus, I have no reason to believe that he was in any way supernatural.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "ChristianWarrior"Will some one please tell me what you guys believe? Thank you for your cooperation.

No worries mate, I'm always happy to help someone willing to go to war in the name of peace and love.

Well Atheists are all different you know, they just share a lack of belief in gods.
But for me Atheism means dancing naked in the moonlight and really wild times, but that's just me.

Whitney

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"But for me Atheism means dancing naked in the moonlight and really wild times, but that's just me.

I can't wait to see that get used as ammo to 'prove' that atheists are immoral bastards  :D

DJAkuma

To me atheism is about not seeing any reason why an omnipotent creator of the universe would be so bored that he'd waste the effort to get all pissy about what a particular species of primates does when they're naked.

As far as the jesus thing goes, it's simply the name that the writers of the bible gave to their mythical hero when they plagarized from older stories.

Baggy

The existence or otherwise of Jesus as an historical figure is really quite irrelevant. If he did I have seen no evidence anywhere that he may have been the 'son of god, whatever the heck that is supposed to be!

Atheism is simply the absence of a belief in god in my view. An atheist arguable does not 'believe' in anything regarding a deity other than the fact that there appears to be insufficient evidence to suggest there is one.

It is for the likes of you, Mr Warrior, to convince me otherwise! (and I am pretty sure you cannot!)

Tank

Quote from: "ChristianWarrior"I'm curious. There was scientific evidence that Jesus Christ existed. Do you deny his existence or only his powers? Will some one please tell me what you guys believe? Thank you for your cooperation.

-ChristianWarrior

If there was evidence that Jesus Christ existed what happened to it?

If you are contending that evidence does exist that shows that JC existed you should have written "There [strike:2u8q64fu]was[/strike:2u8q64fu] is scientific evidence that Jesus Christ existed." I'll assume for arguments sake that you slipped up on your tense there.

Are you just looking for an argument or really interested in knowing what I think? I must say on the basis of past experience here and on a number of other forums with an atheist theme and predominantly atheist membership I have not yet come across a Christian who made an opening gambit as you have done who turned out to be either A) honest, B) sane or C) really interested at all. Are you going to be the exception? I really do hope so! Because one of the reasons I like this place is because it is very theist friendly, and I like to meet people who are actually open for discussion, there have been a few but in the end they either end up preaching or leaving  :verysad:  Before I start to take time to address your question I would like to get to know a bit about you and your motivations first please.  

1) Why have you joined HAF?
2) What do you believe?
3) Why do you believe it?
4) Why should I believe what you believe?

If you answer those questions honestly and openly then I think we will have a basis for a fruitful discussion.

Regards
Chris

PS your user name is bloody awful if you want to be taken seriously here.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

LegendarySandwich

To me, atheism means coming to the conclusion that we're the only ones here; we do not need to believe made up fairy tales regarding the universe. It means you have taken a step back, looked at our world, and have come to your common sense about the way things are. It means you have raised a critical eyebrow at bullshit claims. It means you have started, are on, or have reached the end of a path of critical thinking. And so on.

To me, it means many things.

Quote from: "Tank"PS your user name is bloody awful if you want to be taken seriously here.
That's what I was thinking. Whenever someone claims to be a "God warrior"/"Jesus warrior"/etc., I just have to chuckle.

Asmodean

Something I have not heard of... Please elaborate.

QuoteDo you deny his existence or only his powers?
If he existed, he is long since dead and thus no longer does. His "supernatural" powers were supposed to be anchored in the Abrahamic god. Without the evidence to support such a god's existence or, for that matter, the existence of Jesus (as described in NT) the powers (or lack thereof) such a man might have had are really... Irrelevant.

QuoteWill some one please tell me what you guys believe?
I believe that it's cold on the South Pole. Among other things.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: "Inevitable Droid"
Quote from: "Davin"Sans solipsism, I don't believe anything.

Are you saying you believe in solipsism?
I'm saying that I understand that there is the small leap of belief that what I'm perceiving is based off of a reality, after that, I don't believe in anything. So since I'm not interested in talking about solipsism; removing solipsism from discussion, I don't believe anything.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

ChristianWarrior

Quote1) Why have you joined HAF?
2) What do you believe?
3) Why do you believe it?
4) Why should I believe what you believe?

Well, I'm a Christian Warrior, so I think it's appropriate.

1. To Learn about the Atheist community
2. I'm Christian
3. I believe in it because even if it isn't proven that there's a heaven, I have faith. I believe that you go to heaven not based on your religion, but on your actions and good deeds. Faith is the reason I believe in it. I don't need everything to be scientifically proven. Although I suppose you believe that too. After all, you can't prove that there's not an afterlife and not a God, can you? That's faith to me. Believing in something even though it isn't proven. I have faith that God and Jesus exist. So to answer your question; faith is why I believe in it.
4. You don't have to believe in it. It's just a discussion. I'm not here to convert anyone who doesn't want to be converted, I'm here to learn about your beliefs.

And it's quite sad the way y'all talk to me. Like I'm a child or something. I treated you with respect, so treat me with respect. Please don't talk down to me just because I have a different religion then you. As for scientific evidence, I meant historical evidence. I was tired when I wrote that. I'll change it now.