News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Need help with a computer booting issue

Started by Amicale, April 05, 2012, 04:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Hey, guys. When I boot my laptop, it seems to load everything up normally to my login screen, and once I enter my username and password to log into Windows, it just goes to a black screen, and doesn't do anything. When I boot it in safe mode, safe mode works fine, so I'm using that at the moment. I just don't know how to fix the 'black screen' issue on the regular mode, and I really need it for my work!

So far I've tried:
- fixing the computer and hitting F8 as it booted to manually do a system fix/restore. Didn't work.
- At the black screen that goes nowhere, hitting ctrl+alt+delete and then trying to manually start up dwm.exe or explorer.exe in case one or both of them were frozen. No go.

I have an HP G62 Notebook PC, 64-bit OS, and I haven't recently installed anything that I know of that would make the black screen happen.

Someone help? Please? I'll make you cookies.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

AnimatedDirt

I'm so out of the PC arena these days...I have nothing to help with other than to suggest you may've turned your screen down?  See...I'm no help.

I did do a search and the first thing that popped up was:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-24155-laptop-screen-blank-when-switched-on

Maybe some more help?

Siz

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 05, 2012, 04:51:34 PM
I'm so out of the PC arena these days...I have nothing to help with other than to suggest you may've turned your screen down?  See...I'm no help.

Maybe some more help?

Interesting! Would love to know if this works for you...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Amicale

Hmm... well, I have graphics on the screen when I boot up, it goes to my Windows login, lets me put my username and password in, and then instead of loading my desktop it boots to a black screen. Grrr...

I'll give that idea a try, though. Thanks for the suggestion. And any others are very appreciated!!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 05:05:41 PM
Hmm... well, I have graphics on the screen when I boot up, it goes to my Windows login, lets me put my username and password in, and then instead of loading my desktop it boots to a black screen. Grrr...

I'll give that idea a try, though. Thanks for the suggestion. And any others are very appreciated!!

Which OS are you running?  XP?

Buddy

Could it be some sort of virus? What antivirus do you use?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 05, 2012, 05:09:31 PM
Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 05:05:41 PM

Which OS are you running?  XP?

Vista, home edition.

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 05:11:30 PM

Vista, home edition.

I'm no expert, but that may be your problem. I have heard nothing but bad things about Vista.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 05, 2012, 04:55:54 PM

Maybe some more help?

It WORKED!! AD, thank you! I just took the battery out, put it back in, did the 'hold the power button thing for a bit', and then when I tried to boot it back to normal mode, it came on no problem! *happydance!* Thank you!  ;D

Amicale

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 05:24:45 PM

Maybe some more help?

It WORKED!! AD, thank you! I just took the battery out, put it back in, did the 'hold the power button thing for a bit', and then when I tried to boot it back to normal mode, it came on no problem! *happydance!* Thank you!  ;D

Heh...Awesome!  Chocolate Chip, plz.  ;)

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 05:25:57 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 05, 2012, 05:23:28 PM
Try:  http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-screen-after-login-421825.html

Thanks! And saving this in case I need it!  ;D

I SOOOO remember my days with a PC.  Many evenings I'd be searching out problems I'd been experiencing.  Much trial and error fixes did I go through.  Too much time spent on that.  Just refer to The Mac Thread...  ;)

Amicale

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 05, 2012, 05:32:57 PM
Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 05:24:45 PM

Maybe some more help?

Heh...Awesome!  Chocolate Chip, plz.  ;)

LOL, just tell me where to send 'em and they'd be on their way. Seriously.  ;D

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 05:58:02 PM
LOL, just tell me where to send 'em and they'd be on their way. Seriously.  ;D

Your nearest Seventh Day Adventist youth group...  haha.  Jus-joshin'.

I'm glad a few stabs did the trick.  :)