News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Music that moves you

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 16, 2018, 11:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harmonie

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 30, 2018, 05:39:11 PM

Some classical music lovers might think this is an adulterated form but I think it's the best remix I've come across so far.   ;D

...Yeah. Just sounds like they overlayed a generic "epic" movie sound over the music. That style of instrumentation and harmony does absolutely nothing for me. But to each their own.

Quote from: Icarus on March 31, 2018, 09:55:00 PM
Here is another one that could fit with Silvers car race.  In this case you can almost hurt with sympathy for the horses that are being driven so hard.

Harmonie, this has some important Bassoon work, then flutes.  The Ride To Dubno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asoLIJpvb_w

Huh, I've never even heard of that composer or piece. I used to think I was knowledgeable on pieces with bassoon solos. I was wrong.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Bluenose

Well, I can't let this pass without a reference to one of my faves, Die Götterdämmerung.  I once spent the best part of an entire weekend with a fellow naval officer listening to the whole ring cycle on Deutsche Grammophon vinyl, eating pizza, cheese & bikkies and meat pies and drinking Pusser's rum and Jack Daniels...

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 01, 2018, 01:39:43 AM
I find this piece soothing, but why I'm not sure.  Maybe a resigned "there there" quality about it?

Without words (On the Nature of Daylight)

Thank you so much for introducing me to Max Richter, who is a new composer I can explore. It reminds me of Arvo Pärt's music, especially his Spiegel im Spiegel.

That's one of the joys of "classical" music: always something new to discover. I remember how excited I was when I found the music of Takemitsu a few years ago.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Bluenose on April 01, 2018, 04:00:27 AM
Well, I can't let this pass without a reference to one of my faves, Die Götterdämmerung.  I once spent the best part of an entire weekend with a fellow naval officer listening to the whole ring cycle on Deutsche Grammophon vinyl, eating pizza, cheese & bikkies and meat pies and drinking Pusser's rum and Jack Daniels...

Dear old Wagner is an interesting case. I absolutely adore his music, but many people are put off by extraneous factors like his personality and the appropriation of his music by the Nazis. I just appreciate his music, regardless of whether he was a nice person or not.

I guess you were listening to the great Georg Solti Ring Cycle?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bluenose

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 01, 2018, 06:01:21 AM

Dear old Wagner is an interesting case. I absolutely adore his music, but many people are put off by extraneous factors like his personality and the appropriation of his music by the Nazis. I just appreciate his music, regardless of whether he was a nice person or not.

I guess you were listening to the great Georg Solti Ring Cycle?

Hmm, don't recall that detail, but you're probably right. I get the ambivalence towards Wagner, but I love his music.

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 31, 2018, 09:55:00 PM
Here is another one that could fit with Silvers car race.  In this case you can almost hurt with sympathy for the horses that are being driven so hard.

Harmonie, this has some important Bassoon work, then flutes.  The Ride To Dubno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asoLIJpvb_w

Yes it definitely has that dramatic flair! 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 01, 2018, 01:39:43 AM
CB in particular makes me feel like I'm about to be chased thru a dark wood.

:lol: :P

QuoteI find this piece soothing, but why I'm not sure.  Maybe a resigned "there there" quality about it?

Without words (On the Nature of Daylight)

With words (This Bitter Earth)

I like that tune very much. :smilenod:

:violin:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bluenose on April 01, 2018, 04:00:27 AM

I don't know what bikkies are, but I want to eat them while listening to this.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Sandra Craft on April 01, 2018, 01:09:00 PM

Biscuits, that's how we in the civilised countries refer to what is in some places cookies.

Not This: Definition of bikie - a member of a gang of motorcyclists

Anyway I've been wanting to post the motor bike frog, I'm segging into it.

http://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/frogwatch/frogs/motorbike-frog

You have to go about 60% down the page and there's a sound thingy you click.
There's a youtube of the motor bike frog but it's not as good.

I've no idea why the West Australian government coat of arms on that page includes a white swan, maybe Bluenose knows.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bluenose

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 01, 2018, 01:19:18 PM

Biscuits, that's how we in the civilised countries refer to what is in some places cookies.

Not This: Definition of bikie - a member of a gang of motorcyclists

Well, yes, except that bikkies and cheese is usually biscuits of the cracker variety. The cheese should include a good aged Cheddar, a Brie/Camembert and a decent blue, perhaps Stilton, Gorgonzola or Roquefort.  Also served with some grapes and perhaps strawberries and definitely a glass of good port...

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

:notsure: And here I was thinking it was Bic Pens.

-~-

"G'day mate"

"Hi, how you going?"

"Great. Oy mate, do me a favour and pass the blue bikkie?"

*cue propaganda music*

Bikkies, your pen in the land down under.

*Won't defy gravity.

-~-

But then I read what Bluenose had written and it didn't make much sense. :sad sigh:

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 01, 2018, 02:14:42 PM

:notsure: And here I was thinking it was Bic Pens.

-~-

"G'day mate"

"Hi, how you going?"

"Great. Oy mate, do me a favour and pass the blue bikkie?"

*cue propaganda music*

Bikkies, your pen in the land down under.

*Won't defy gravity.

-~-

But then I read what Bluenose had written and it didn't make much sense. :sad sigh:

:lol:
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

I suppose I'd like to go unconventional once again.

I've played a Swedish-made game called "Brothers - a tale of two sons" recently, which, having no dialogue (Not exactly true, but they used a fictional language) made a great use of its soundtrack for immersion/emotional message.

It is relatively uncomplicated, as music goes, but it does make the game great. I especially like the endgame themes (like Winged Hope and Heading Home, starting at 50:44. What can I say... I have a weak spot for cellos and eerie vocals)

I suppose this soundtrack doesn't make much sense outside the game, but within proper context, I did find it... Moving.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

^ I like video game music.

A few of my favourites:

The fast-paced electronic with the female vocals:

The string instrument (I don't know which, though):

...And the entire Deus Ex:Human Revolution soundtrack.  8)

Asmodean

Have you ever come across Miracle of Sound? Game theme based music of very decent quality.

ME Andromeda

Mankind Divided
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.