News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Newb

Started by technolud, April 13, 2012, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technolud

Hi, I'm new to the forum, from NJ.  Got turned on to Happy Atheist by my high school daughter.  Go figure.  I'm interested in nosing around to see what people who think, think.

Buddy

Welcome to the forums! Does your daughter have an account here?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

technolud

I don't believe so.  She found it noodling around one day and stumbled on a bunch of comics someone had posted.

I've considered myself as an atheist for a long time, maybe 15-20 years.  I arrived at it after a long and somewhat stormy journey.  It's only in the last couple years that I've realized both my children (16 & 22) have arrived at the same place.  I'm not yet completely sure I parented them the best way possible.

Tank

Hi technolud

Buddy asked the same question I was going to! Good to see your kids grew up faith-free, just like mine :)

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Greetings, technolud.

QuoteI'm interested in nosing around to see what people who think, think.

That's very gracious of you.  But yes, we do think.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on April 13, 2012, 06:28:57 PM
Greetings, technolud.

Speak for yourself. I find thinking to be extremely overrated at times  :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on April 13, 2012, 06:30:19 PM
Quote from: OldGit on April 13, 2012, 06:28:57 PM
Greetings, technolud.

Speak for yourself. I find thinking to be extremely overrated at times  :)

Yeaaaah, me too. Welcome technolud!  :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

technolud

Well, at least you guys/gals are more welcoming then on the Honda Civic forum.   Every time I post anything there I get flamed to death.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: technolud on April 13, 2012, 06:37:15 PM
Well, at least you guys/gals are more welcoming then on the Honda Civic forum.   Every time I post anything there I get flamed to death.

LOL
Why do they flame?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

Lots of Honda fanboys over there? ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Traveler

Hello and welcome aboard!!! :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Buddy

There's a Honda Civic forum?  :o They have a forum for everything these days!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: technolud on April 13, 2012, 06:37:15 PM

Haha, why?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

technolud

There must be 10 Honda Civic forums.  I think they flame because they are all about 16-1/2 years old and drink too much red bull.  They don't seem to appreciate the "you can have your own opinion but not your own facts" point of view.

technolud

I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times on this forum, but what do you all think about the "in your face" acts of some of the atheists?  I'm talking about the bill boards stating that God is a made up story etc.   

I watch these and worry that just now when atheism seems to be gaining some acceptance a back lash is going to be fired up.

Al