News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Am I an atheist?

Started by mjolnir, December 05, 2011, 03:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjolnir

My question is, would you consider me an atheist?

Here are some of my views:
1) I believe it is reasonable to suspect that one or more forces, unknown by the current state of human knowledge, were involved in the creation of the universe.
2) I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe that I should view any of the world's religions as more than interesting fables or myths.
3) I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe that consciousness exists after brain death.

The Magic Pudding

I suppose so, as long as this unknown force is thought to be weird physics, not gawd.
No sneaking  and adding "and yet I do" after points 1) and 2).

Sandra Craft

Quote from: mjolnir on December 05, 2011, 03:58:55 AM
My question is, would you consider me an atheist?

Here are some of my views:
1) I believe it is reasonable to suspect that one or more forces, unknown by the current state of human knowledge, were involved in the creation of the universe.
2) I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe that I should view any of the world's religions as more than interesting fables or myths.
3) I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe that consciousness exists after brain death.

That's pretty much my view of things and I consider myself an atheist.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

MadBomr101

I suppose the criteria for atheism can be flexible, however, whatever your view of these unknown forces may be it's important that they not be magical deities or space aliens.  That's non-negotiable.  Other than that, I'm cool with the unknown forces concept.  At least it gets one thinking which is something religion frowns upon.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

If you believe in some sort of god, then you're not an atheist. If you don't, then you are.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

secular1

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 05, 2011, 05:46:44 AM
Welcome!

If you believe in some sort of god, then you're not an atheist. If you don't, then you are.

I like this. 

Tank

Welcome!

Simple and to the point.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Hi mjolnir

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

hello Thor's hammer, welcome to the forum. What you believe isn't unreasonable, I'd agree with points 2 and 3. From point 1, you might also be an agnostic or a deist, depending on how close you deem those forces to be to your definition of a god.

OldGit

Welcome to the forum!
I cannot put it better than xSilverPhinx.  However, if you are a theist, you're vastly more rational than a cookie-cutter christian.  And you're thinking - that's the important thing.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Whether or not you are an atheist is for you to answer.

Does it matter though? Do you just want a label that fits? Or to fit a label, in case I've got things reversed..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

Do you believe in anything that meets the criteria to be defined as gods? 

If NO, then you are an atheist.

If YES, then you are some kind of theist.

Crow

Hi mjolnir and welcome.

Quote from: Whitney on December 05, 2011, 02:32:55 PM
Do you believe in anything that meets the criteria to be defined as gods? 

If NO, then you are an atheist.

If YES, then you are some kind of theist.

These are what constitutes an atheist. nothing more nothing less.

In regards to point one, it is still possible to be atheist with a belief of this sort just look at the Taoist concept of the Tao, by large the religion is atheistic and the gods that are found in the folk form of the religion are more like a government rather than the christian/jewish/islamic concept, i.e. they aren't the creators, they are the managers.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on December 05, 2011, 05:07:47 PM
In regards to point one, it is still possible to be atheist with a belief of this sort just look at the Taoist concept of the Tao, by large the religion is atheistic and the gods that are found in the folk form of the religion are more like a government rather than the christian/jewish/islamic concept, i.e. they aren't the creators, they are the managers.

That's why I like the word "ignostic" ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey