News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Brexit

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 24, 2016, 05:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

At least, I'm glad that we get rid off those greedy London City bankers.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Essie Mae

We've seen about 20 different answers to those questions today alone. The latest is that Scotland's First Minister says she has the power to veto  Brexit. Although I'm still in shock, politics is really quite entertaining and unpredictable at the moment.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Just heard a constitutional lawyer explaining that the referendum is 'advisory' and Parliament has the power to simply dismiss it. Now that would be fun.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

The media is full of articles and interviews, about British politicians trying to backtrack promises they made about where all the money they give to the EU would go if they leave, people regretting their vote, and Scotland trying to force the UK back from truly exiting. Basically implying there's a scramble to try to undo this. Any legitimacy to this?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

OldGit

That depends on who's judging.  One thing seems clear: constitutionally parliament doesn't have to do what the people have asked through the referendum.

They'll do all they can to wriggle out of it, and on past form the people will let them get away with it.  This is what happened in Ireland and Denmark, where there had to be a second referendum which produced the right answer.

Ecurb Noselrub

Now it appears that not only will Brexit affect my retirement fund, but also my bonus!!!  This must stop, I tell you! >:(

Dave

Think a lot of Brexit voters are going to regret their choice.

The BBC broadcast an ex serviceman, aged 82 (ten years older then me so not haging served in the war) crying because hecwas so pleased British troops would not serve under German officers. Made me thoroughly sick and discreditted the BBC for using him as an emotional "weapon".

If that is the sort of rationale behind some voters' choice I am ashamed they belong to the same nation as me.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tom62

Roadmap Plan for UK Departure from the EU
QuoteWe've gained exclusive access to a leaked plan that was put together by the Vote Leave campaign, the UKIP, and Nigel Farage. It includes detailed solutions for the following political and economic issues expected after the United Kingdom departs the European Union.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on July 02, 2016, 11:24:12 AM
QuoteWe've gained exclusive access to a leaked plan that was put together by the Vote Leave campaign, the UKIP, and Nigel Farage. It includes detailed solutions for the following political and economic issues expected after the United Kingdom departs the European Union.
Yup, about sums it up I reckon!

New thread: "Brexit plans and similar fantasies"?

Tank

Fascinating. More substance than I expected.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Hah, I chased that red button all over the page before I realized what was going on.

Dave

Email from the UK gov petitions committee:

QuoteYou recently signed the petition "EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum":
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

The Petitions Committee has decided to schedule a House of Commons debate on this petition. The debate will take place on 5 September at 4.30pm in Westminster Hall, the second debating chamber of the House of Commons. The debate will be opened by Ian Blackford MP.

The Committee has decided that the huge number of people signing this petition means that it should be debated by MPs. The Petitions Committee would like to make clear that, in scheduling this debate, they are not supporting the call for a second referendum. The debate will allow MPs to put forward a range of views on behalf of their constituents. At the end of the debate, a Government Minister will respond to the points raised.

A debate in Westminster Hall does not have the power to change the law, and won't end with the House of Commons deciding whether or not to have a second referendum. Moreover, the petition – which was opened on 25 May, well before the referendum – calls for the referendum rules to be changed. It is now too late for the rules to be changed retrospectively. It will be up to the Government to decide whether it wants to start the process of agreeing a new law for a second referendum.

The Petitions Committee is a cross-party group of MPs. It is independent from Government. You can find out more about the Committee on its website: http://www.parliament.uk/petitions-committee/role

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament
There were about 4 million petitioners for a second referrendum.

Ironic thing is the petition was started by a Brexiteer, before the actual ref, to protect his pov!

Dave

Despite my brain telling me that to "Remain", in the (vain?) hope of a reformed EU was the better option the closet anarchist in me yearned for "Brexit".

There will be some initial, hopefully short lived, chaos. I respect chaos, it is one of tbe prime movers of evolution.

How will the UK evolve here I wonder?

Dave

Well, Theresa May has gone and done it - called a snap general election for the UK. Well, snappish.

I am not very surprised, all the opposition parties and the unelected upper house are against Brexit. There are even unhappy people in her own party.

But none of the opposition parties are really fit to rule and the opinion of the upper house is, in the outcome, just that, they have only the power to debate and delay (waste of space and money mostly, even though I find myself agreeing with them so often).

So, she is shuffling the decision back to the people. But will we get the true facts out of them so that we can make an educated, considered and balanced decision? Fat bloody chance! We will get the same unreliable economists' predictions and political clap trap I think.

Now, what do I do? Go with my still strong instincts for Remain and vote for a bunch of Labour (no way do I want Corbyn as PM) or Liberal idiots or break a life long tradition and vote Conservative - a party that gies against more of my principles than the others?

Or vote Green, if they have someone standing here, so I don't totally waste my franchise.?

Tank

AAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGGGGGGGGgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!  :geezer!: :geezer!: :geezer!: :geezer!: :picard facepalm: :picard facepalm: :picard facepalm: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :haironfire: :haironfire: :haironfire: :haironfire: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :foottap: :foottap: :foottap: :foottap: :argue: :argue: :argue: :argue: :slapfight: :slapfight: :slapfight: :puke: :puke: :puke: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr: :rant1: :rant1: :rant1: :Gaah: :Gaah: :Gaah: :Gaah: :lynch: :lynch: :lynch: :lynch: