News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Don't laugh!

Started by Tank, June 03, 2010, 09:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

If ever I have kids, I doubt it would be a particularly good idea for me to play D&D with them... The results might be... Well, names like Hitler, Stalin amd Napoleón come to mind...  :hmm:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Miss Anthrope"
Quote from: "Whitney"I thought it looked interesting but the boys who played didn't want to let any girls play so I never tried it.

Don't sweat it...now they've grown up and those same boys are still playing D&D because girls won't "play" with them  :rant: So then I started setting up dilemmas between the characters and seeing how they reacted to them. One kid played a nominal 'good guy' but continually behaved unethically so he regularly found his character penniless and walking around in his underwear and relying on the others for protection  lol  He learned that his 'two faced' behaviour was just not acceptable. It was also a great way of levelling the boys and girls because there was no actual strength involved. The kids created their own characters and they played in their own gender and stereotypically some of the time but when it came to problem solving everybody had their say and it was very democratic because if one kid started to shout down the others they stopped joining in and the 'loud mouth' got isolated and you can't play D&D if your trying to tell the other players how to behave. The knack was to build scenarios that played to the strengths of the various characters.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Willow

We are gradually working in this direction.  A agree that it is a brilliant educational tool, as are many games, and it fits will with unschooling.